Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So - I love the new 2012 XT Brakes - but obviously the hoses are too long - while reading the the instructions I can't seem to understand how the system doesn't need bleeding after you disconnect it at the lever where the fluid will drain from the reservoir.

Am I simply missing something obvious or what?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well, when you pull the line out of the reservoir, it shouldnt drip out because the reservoir cap is still on and sealed, same with the caliper side... Like when you stick a straw in a soda, cap the end with your finger and pull it out the soda doesnt drip out. As long as you dont squeeze the lever or pistons in the caliper you should be fine. I just shortened my new XT's hoses, and the brakes work the same as before shortening.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just shortened mine--didn't need bleeding. I have a bleed funnel just in case, and I did bleed them afterward but there was no difference between before I bled and after--I just bled them 'cause I am anal like that.

When doing the cut, however, make sure that the lever stays level--if you turn your bars at all, the resevoir can tilt with the opening down and it will spill out some and you don't want that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.