Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New for 2012 2012 World 24 Hour Mountain Bike Championships:

1) The addition of both a "2-Person Open" and a "3-Person Coed" category (all solo categories remain).

2) The event is now a stand alone event taking place September 14 - 16, 2012 in Canmore Alberta Canada.

We have received a good number of calls inquiring about how to qualify for both the solo categories and the new team categories. The following link provides you with the current list of events worldwide that results can be used to gain entry. Please note that while we encourage the listed events to provide assistance to winners attending the W24C it's up to each individually event to decide (note that all listed event results are valid). We felt it was in the best interests to open up more qualifiers, thus making it easier to qualify closer to home. Results from past or upcoming listed events qualify.

See the details on the web site to see percentages for Solo riders.

Team riders are required to send in a race resume and can use results from various events listed. Results from 12 hour, 24 hour, 100 miler, or stage races qualify.

Click here for World 24 Hours MTB Championships Qualifiers

Please feel free to contact us directly with any questions: [email protected]

thanks

W24C

Attachments

·
Category Winner
6,095 Posts
This is an honest question, not a snarky comment.

The last time I participated in the 24WSC was 2006 and the entry fee was @$250-300 (I think).
The price has gone up to $450. To be fair, the early bird fee which ends in a few days is $400.

I know times change, things get more expensive, and all that, but does this mean that other classes, other than male/female solo, specifically single speed, will have a cash purse? I couldn't find that information on the 24WSC site.

Thanks.

And congrats on Canmore. Stunning.

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a response to a ss champion

This is an honest question, not a snarky comment.

The last time I participated in the 24WSC was 2006 and the entry fee was @$250-300 (I think).
The price has gone up to $450. To be fair, the early bird fee which ends in a few days is $400.

I know times change, things get more expensive, and all that, but does this mean that other classes, other than male/female solo, specifically single speed, will have a cash purse? I couldn't find that information on the 24WSC site.

Thanks.

And congrats on Canmore. Stunning.
Hi Rich - 2006 single speed champion.

Trust the following will answer your question.

Couple things are dramatically different especially in 2012. The World 24 Hour Mountain Bike Championships is now a standalone event (additional 2-per and 3-person coed categories, but limited to 50 teams in total). So no infrastructure costs can be transferred to the 24 Hours of Adrenalin event for example, which has been the case every other year in NA. The event runs on a zero profit model.

The 2006 entry fee was the very same at $400.00. Part of the reduced fee was a $50.00 discount given to riders that had participated in a past W24C. Additionally you received a $20 coupon that was sent to those using the 50% deposit route. You actually got that by mistake. A plus for Rich :)

Attached is a graph created to show just the cost of inflation taken from a couple sites on the internet.

We at W24C have a very focused plan in place for 2012 and hope to see you on the start grid with a much deeper single speed field. Too bad you didn't race in 2007 or 2008 when "Spot Bikes" was a sponsor of the ss category... winner took home a killer custom painted frame.

Attachments

·
Category Winner
6,095 Posts
Hi Rich - 2006 single speed champion.

Trust the following will answer your question.

Couple things are dramatically different especially in 2012. The World 24 Hour Mountain Bike Championships is now a standalone event (additional 2-per and 3-person coed categories, but limited to 50 teams in total). So no infrastructure costs can be transferred to the 24 Hours of Adrenalin event for example, which has been the case every other year in NA. The event runs on a zero profit model.

The 2006 entry fee was the very same at $400.00. Part of the reduced fee was a $50.00 discount given to riders that had participated in a past W24C. Additionally you received a $20 coupon that was sent to those using the 50% deposit route. You actually got that by mistake. A plus for Rich :)

Attached is a graph created to show just the cost of inflation taken from a couple sites on the internet.

We at W24C have a very focused plan in place for 2012 and hope to see you on the start grid with a much deeper single speed field. Too bad you didn't race in 2007 or 2008 when "Spot Bikes" was a sponsor of the ss category... winner took home a killer custom painted frame.
Yeah, I just missed the free frame by a year, and now that I think about it, I may have been thinking about the fees back in 2001 (yes, a whole decade ago). Then again, maybe I'm thinking about what I paid for regular 24OA races. Senility sucks. Sorry about that.

Hadn't read closely enough to see that the race was a stand alone event next year. I doubt I could be inspired to ride my bike for 24 hours anymore. I can still remember what it feels like.

Meant what I said about Canmore. I miss that place.

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what could have been!

Yeah, I just missed the free frame by a year, and now that I think about it, I may have been thinking about the fees back in 2001 (yes, a whole decade ago). Then again, maybe I'm thinking about what I paid for regular 24OA races. Senility sucks. Sorry about that.

Hadn't read closely enough to see that the race was a stand alone event next year. I doubt I could be inspired to ride my bike for 24 hours anymore. I can still remember what it feels like.

Meant what I said about Canmore. I miss that place.
Matt Chaney won this in 2007.

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
I plan on racing Canmore twice this year in the SS class, it really is a wicked course. I haven't bought my Worlds spot yet (I suppose I should do it before the early bird runs out, hey Stuart when is that?) I do plan on doing it while the early bird is in place.

Rich, I check in on your blog quite often and I've got at least $50 worth of reading entertainment over the years, it's a longish trip for you so I'm willing to throw $50 in the hat if you toe the line in Canmore. I'll throw $51 in the hat if you lap me. I'll throw $52 in the hat if you toe the line in Canmore, lap me and remove that spinning naked dismount from your blog. ;-)

·
Category Winner
6,095 Posts
I plan on racing Canmore twice this year in the SS class, it really is a wicked course. I haven't bought my Worlds spot yet (I suppose I should do it before the early bird runs out, hey Stuart when is that?) I do plan on doing it while the early bird is in place.

Rich, I check in on your blog quite often and I've got at least $50 worth of reading entertainment over the years, it's a longish trip for you so I'm willing to throw $50 in the hat if you toe the line in Canmore. I'll throw $51 in the hat if you lap me. I'll throw $52 in the hat if you toe the line in Canmore, lap me and remove that spinning naked dismount from your blog. ;-)
All I need it about twenty-five more people like you and I'm there.... although if I lapped you like thirty times and rode naked for the whole race, I think you should pay for the whole she-bang.

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Additional top international elite solo racers confirmed for World 24 Hour MTB Championships in Canmore September 2012.

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Epic Battle Guaranteed Between Global Heroes at W24C/WSC

Epic Battle Guaranteed Between Global Heroes at World 24 Hour Championships

ENTRIES ALREADY RECEIVED FROM GERMANY, ITALY, UNITED KINGDOM,
DENMARK, COSTA RICA, BRAZIL, ECUADOR, PORTUGAL, AUSTRALIA,
NEW ZEALAND, SOUTH AFRICA, CANADA AND THE UNITED STATES

English to defend his World Title in Canmore September 14 - 16, 2012

Read Full Press Release, including other global hero's attending... Click Link.

World 24 Hour MTB Championships - Global Heroes

Attachments

·
Registered
941 Posts
Stuart, I did four 24 hour races in 2010 one of them was a qualifyer for that year and most likely 2011
It was the Boyne Falls MI.24 hour solo I was first place. but I got hurt this year at Wausau WI and that was the only race I did in 2011 and I finshed 10th place.. I might not want to have to qualify again becuse 1 money and 2 I would like to just peak for this one race at age 51.. Should I send you guys a resume, I did good in 2009 & 2010.
Thank-you
Dean.

·
Registered
252 Posts
please delete this single post.

sorry - just in case there is any confusion - I mean can the moderator remove this post by me - which I accidentally put up in this thread.

·
Banned
4 Posts
World 24 Hour MTB Championships (teams & solo)

Hello endurance riders,

2012 is shaping up to be a really amazing event in Canmore, Alberta Canada on September 14 - 16, 2012 weekend. Ask anyone that has traveled to the Rocky Mountains in Canada and the town of Canmore and we are positive that the event and area will receive high marks on many fronts.

In addition to all the solo categories (Elite, Single Speed and Age Groups), new for 2012 will be the addition of two new categories vying for world titles: 1) "2-Person Open" 2) "3-Person Coed".

Already 13 countries have athletes registered.

Currently we are capping the number of total teams at 50 and the focus is on attracting teams from around the globe. You might notice that teams will be accepted via a "team race resume" so competition should be amazing.

The town of Canmore (TCK), the venue of the Canmore Nordic Centre (CNCPP), the province of Alberta and the country of Canada look forward to providing you with an event experience that is certain to provide lasting memories.

Remember... "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"

Cheers on behalf of the W24C/WSC Committee

·
Banned
4 Posts
Global Elite confirm September W24C/WSC

With the confirmed registration of the top world elite solo riders, 2012 should be a hard fought battle.

With past and current World Champions and many National 24h Solo Champions attending this September 14 - 16, 2012.

Here are "some" of the registered athletes:

- Jason English - Australia (Merida Bikes) - Current W24C/WSC Champion and Australian 24h Solo Champion

- Tinker Juarez - USA (Cannondale Bikes) - past W24C/WSC Champion and past USA National 24h Solo Champion

- Cory Wallace - Canada (Kona Bikes) - current Canadian 24h Solo Champion, 2nd 2010 W24C/WSC

- Josh Tostato - USA (Trek Bikes) - current and 3x USA 24h Solo Champion

- Matt Page - UK (Rocky Mountain Bikes) - current and 2x UK 24h Solo Champion

- Tomas Kozak - Czech (Focus Bikes) - Current Czech 24h Solo Champion

- Kelly Magelky - USA (Trek Bikes) - 2nd place finishes at W24C/WSC and USA National Championships

- Leighton Poidevin - Canada (Santa Cruz Bikes) - 4th, 7th and 8th at W24C/WSC

W24C/WSC Committee

·
Banned
4 Posts
Anna Mei Solo 24h Italian racer in an accident...

Unfortunately our very good friend Anna Mei was in an accident, our thoughts are with her as she recovers.

W24C/WSC

Bad Accident In Training For Anna Mei

Anna Mei, the world champion Ultracycling, historical friend of "Cycling in pink", as well as president of "The cyclists", Saturday, January 14 was the victim of a bad accident near Morbegno (Valtellina), where she was training. The dynamic is unfortunately similar to that of other incidents involving, almost daily, many cyclists Anna was regularly passing an SUV, stopped on track despite the presence of green light,when suddenly a passenger opened the door of the vehicle and Anna could not prevent the violent impact with the same. The champion was immediately transported to the hospital in Lecco, where were found a compound fracture to the left clavicle, a spinal microfracture, fortunately surface, and a wound lacerocontusa inside the lower lip, which they were to treat with the required 30 stitches. Currently she is still hospitalized at the Department of Orthopaedics of the same hospital and will be released shortly, but will be obliged to comply with an absolute stop physical activity for at least a month. Anna, who had just returned to training after surgery for an ear, is said to calm and quiet and, aware of her "hard skin", my mind is already preparing for future efforts and businesses expect the cycling.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Unfortunately our very good friend Anna Mei was in an accident, our thoughts are with her as she recovers.

W24C/WSC
Unfortunate news indeed! My thoughts are with Anna. I know that for a fun-loving and spirited racer like Anna the hardest part will be the month of no activity.

Bigfoot
Team Bigfoot

Attachments

• 119.8 KB Views: 416
  • Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    79.1 KB Views: 496
1 - 20 of 38 Posts