Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 485 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else looking forward to tomorrow? Oughta be good since it's an Olympics year. I'll be getting up at 4 for a long ride on the trainer while watching it. Who're you rooting for? I'm hoping Absalon can reclaim his superiority, but I'd also root for Nino...anyone but Kulhavy (sorry, just not a Specialized guy...) Anyone think Willow Koerber-Rockwell can make a comeback?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Kulhavy looked super smooth over the logs in a video I saw this morning (BIG WHEELS!). Will be an awesome season.

Definitely cheering on all the NAmerican racers!!

Willow seems confident and focused. She's got a lot of points to make up from some of her compatriots.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Unlike the OP, I'm a total Specialized fanboy so I'll be rooting for Kulhavy, Sauser, Stander, and Wells. I predict a Kulhavy, Stander, Schurter podium. I'm also an Absalon fan, but I think his recent non-winning results are from some of the talent pool finally catching up to his talent rather than him getting any slower. So I don't think we'll see him as the dominant force anymore.

I'm rooting for Willow, but I think she doesn't have the base yet to be competitive. I say a top 10 for her would be a big success. Women's podium prediction is Pendrel, Bresset, Maja W. (sorry, I didn't want to try to spell her last name from memory!)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My ideal top 3: Wells, Absalon, Schurter respectively

What I think will really happen: Kulhavy, Schurter, Absalon.

I think this will be the last year where Absalon remains competitive. Just a feeling, and I hope I'm wrong though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Todd Wells looked strong at Mello J's, but Plaxson was quick in the singletrack.

Kulhavy, well he's a beast. Although I'd like to see a South African win.

I'll root for Kulhavy or any North American.

·
Always pushing harder!!!
1,243 Posts
I predict a Kulhavy, Stander, Schurter podium. QUOTE]

I've got the same podium...Kulhavy, Schurter and Satnder...the first two proved last year that they might be from another planet...and Stander has the added motivation that it is his home turf...can't wait to see what happens...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Kulhavy is a beast!! Rockin the dulie putin the smack down on those guys. I don't even think his bike is that light isn't it like 23-24 pounds?

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Men: It will be the usual top 3. My picks are
1. Nino
2. Kulhavy
3. Absalon.

All of three have won allready this year, but Nino looked the best. Absalon has been injured and Kulhavy seems to take a bit longer to come into form. Plus from the training videos Nino looks far and aways the quickest on technical features, perhaps the 26inch hardtail isn't dead.

Women: Catharine is fit, Maja looks fit, I don't where Julie is yet, but she is always fast. I think the rest of the field is a step behind those three right now. Wouldn't be surprised to see Batty on the podium, she trained with Catharine quite a bit this winter and is going really well. There is also a girl out of New Zealand who is going really well right now too.

Some pics:
Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel Helmet

Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Kulhavy looked super smooth over the logs in a video I saw this morning (BIG WHEELS!). Will be an awesome season.

Definitely cheering on all the NAmerican racers!!

Willow seems confident and focused. She's got a lot of points to make up from some of her compatriots.
Post the video :D

Go Kulhavy, he rides a nice bike lol

·
Foreign Entity
275 Posts
I'm one that's fortunate enough to have raced at the older Cascades courses, it's tough in the heat because of the dust but if it rains it'll become slick and nasty - one of the few places I wouldn't want to test myself at in the rain.

That said, I would love to see Burry take it in XCO and Greg in DH. Cascades is literally Greg's home course and Burry is from Kwazulu Natal so it's as good as in his backyard too.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
I don't like it. But you are going to see a hell of a lot 29ers at the race tomorrow. Well over 50% of the field is on 29ers. I think a lot of people brought them hoping they would help in the rock gardens (even though Nino schooled everyone last year on his 26er).

Of the top girls I think only Catharine, Bresset, and Irina are racing 26ers this weekend. For the top guys I believe only Absalon and Nino are 26ers.

The real story though is the junior from New Zealand, Anton Cooper who rides for Trek World. This kid is fast, like faster then anybody in North America right. Watch this kid, he is going to dominate the world cup within a couple of years.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
I'm one that's fortunate enough to have raced at the older Cascades courses, it's tough in the heat because of the dust but if it rains it'll become slick and nasty - one of the few places I wouldn't want to test myself at in the rain.
Catharine said the mud their is the slickest that she has ever ridden in. Should be interesting for worlds next year, because isn't september the rainy season?

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Awesome pics LMN! Second one should be a cover shot!!
Not my pictures, but they are pretty good.

Look at Catharine's legs in the first one, she is fit.

·
Always pushing harder!!!
1,243 Posts
I don't like it. But you are going to see a hell of a lot 29ers at the race tomorrow. Well over 50% of the field is on 29ers. I think a lot of people brought them hoping they would help in the rock gardens (even though Nino schooled everyone last year on his 26er).

Of the top girls I think only Catharine, Bresset, and Irina are racing 26ers this weekend. For the top guys I believe only Absalon and Nino are 26ers.

The real story though is the junior from New Zealand, Anton Cooper who rides for Trek World. This kid is fast, like faster then anybody in North America right. Watch this kid, he is going to dominate the world cup within a couple of years.
See, that's why we all love you here...always a great report ahead of the race to get us all fired up!!!

What is it that you don't like? Bunch of big wheels? To be honest, I still don't trust my 29er when it gets rough...I prefer my 26 FS for those situations...then again, I saw a video posted on Youtube with Adam Craig riding the course and besides the rocks and logs, it doesn't look that technnical at all...BTW way, those pics, even if they are not yours, look awesome!!! Good luck on race day!!!

1 - 20 of 485 Posts