Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
361 - 380 of 516 Posts

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
Our trails have been slop Tahic, so I have been riding my SJ Evo since its already covered in mud, so I havent had a chance to try them out, I hope I do not have any issues with them. I have The One's on my dh bike and evo, and they have been great, even the RX's on my slalom bike have been great, so I hoping to have the same experience with the R1R's, I guess we will see. If you have any more trouble with yours, hit me up, I have a pretty good contact at the hive.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Just got my 2012 frame. Looking to get a crankset for it. Has the spacer issue that seemed to plague S-Works cranksets in 2011 been solved?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Just got my 2012 frame. Looking to get a crankset for it. Has the spacer issue that seemed to plague S-Works cranksets in 2011 been solved?
No issues whatsoever on the 2012 stock bike. I'm told the Chainstay was slightly redesigned but haven't seen a 2011 and 2012 side by side to compare. Anyhow there are no problems now, and no one has reported one on here for 2012.

·
old fart
1,203 Posts
What spacer issue?
Incorrect spacers leading to drive-side crank arm hitting the chainstay under duress. On my '11 SW Epic I added 1.5mm of extra spacers to solve the issue. Prior I had gone through a set of driveside bearings in the first 3 weeks of owning the bike.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Okay, so if I order the cranks they should come with the appropriate spacers to avoid skiwi's spacer issue, correct?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #369 ·
Okay, so if I order the cranks they should come with the appropriate spacers to avoid skiwi's spacer issue, correct?
Except they are on a huge backorder. If you plan to ride your bike before summer or fall i'd go a different route or start calling every shop in the country to find one with them in stock.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Guys,

It appears that the only S-works cranks that are going to be available quickly are the 180mm units.

My Question is this: Can you give me the pros and cons of using the 180mm cranks, I have a 34" inseam and think I may give them a try.

Please advise.

·
old fart
1,203 Posts
Guys,

It appears that the only S-works cranks that are going to be available quickly are the 180mm units.

My Question is this: Can you give me the pros and cons of using the 180mm cranks, I have a 34" inseam and think I may give them a try.

Please advise.
The 180mm crank will give you more "lever" meaning you can pull higher gearing. The downsides are that your leg speed will be higher for a given gear, and your ground clearance won't be as good. I'm 6'1" and have always meant to give a longer crank a try.

There are some long-winded debates on the ether about the pros and cons. The fact that most punters religiously stick to 175mm is odd IMO.

·
Eating Hot Pockets
503 Posts
I'd happily sell you my 2012 SWorks 175mm crankset..brand new

Only catch is yo have to buy the rest of the bike with it:thumbsup:
(but think of the spare parts!)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Spesh Crappy Delivery Rant

We'll I am more than a tad annoyed after getting an update that I had to pull teeth to get from Specialized today. My Large Frameset is now not going to arrive for at least another month. I ordered it in mid-August and it was apparently the first one ordered in Canada. So I didn't really expect it would be seven months for delivery. I may have considered an alternative had I known that. I guess when you pay over $4K for a frameset, you shouldn't expect to have a decent delivery time.:madman:

When I ordered, mid January was estimated timing. In December when I inquired if that was still planned, I was told end of January. By then end of January, I inquired again and was told mid-February, which became end of February shortly after. After getting to the end of this month, or close to it and inquiring again, I was advised this afternoon that they shipped last week from Taiwan and should arrive the week of March 26th in Montreal, and then will be shipped to my dealer immediately. Well...WTF! Seriously, if I gave my customers delivery commitments like that, I would be unemployed. I guess it's retail, but that's no excuse. Spending that kind of cake on a frameset, I expect more in terms delivery commitments. It's really taken the excitement out of doing this build. I have boxes of parts in the basement to get what I hope is a 21.5 lb rocket built. I can only stare at them longingly as they collect dust.:madmax:

Needless to say, I am pretty disappointed to say the least. I let Spesh know that too, not that it will change much. I am now hanging onto my existing ride in the event that the delivery schedule remains a floating one.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Assuming that you want to stick with 38/24 chainrings and a 36T sprocket as bottom gear then you have three options. Either a SRAM 11-36 cassette, SRAM 12-36 cassette or Shimano 11-36 cassette. They all give you slightly different gear ratios.

The SRAM 12-36 cassette replaces the 11T sprocket with a 12T sprocket, providing a tighter top end if you spend much time at 20-25mph. Apart from that it's the same as the SRAM 11-36 cassette though.

The Shimano 11-36 cassette has a tighter mid range with its 21T and 24T sprockets so you don't fall into quite as big a hole between the 19T and 22T sprockets, useful when climbing on the little ring. The SRAM cassette in turn has a reduced gap between the 25T and 28T sprockets which is likely to be better when climbing on the big ring. The cassette to choose would be the one that fits the speeds you typically climb at, so you're as near to the optimal ratio as possible for the majority of the time.:)

Pictured below: Possible 2x10 Gearing Variations with 38/24 chainrings

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
large frame size? right?

We'll I am more than a tad annoyed after getting an update that I had to pull teeth to get from Specialized today. My Large Frameset is now not going to arrive for at least another month. I ordered it in mid-August and it was apparently the first one ordered in Canada. So I didn't really expect it would be seven months for delivery. I may have considered an alternative had I known that. I guess when you pay over $4K for a frameset, you shouldn't expect to have a decent delivery time.:madman:

When I ordered, mid January was estimated timing. In December when I inquired if that was still planned, I was told end of January. By then end of January, I inquired again and was told mid-February, which became end of February shortly after. After getting to the end of this month, or close to it and inquiring again, I was advised this afternoon that they shipped last week from Taiwan and should arrive the week of March 26th in Montreal, and then will be shipped to my dealer immediately. Well...WTF! Seriously, if I gave my customers delivery commitments like that, I would be unemployed. I guess it's retail, but that's no excuse. Spending that kind of cake on a frameset, I expect more in terms delivery commitments. It's really taken the excitement out of doing this build. I have boxes of parts in the basement to get what I hope is a 21.5 lb rocket built. I can only stare at them longingly as they collect dust.:madmax:

Needless to say, I am pretty disappointed to say the least. I let Spesh know that too, not that it will change much. I am now hanging onto my existing ride in the event that the delivery schedule remains a floating one.

2011 EPIC SW, (L) = 8Gs tax included....you be riding one tomorrow - pick it up at the Toronto show, BIKELAND booth.

361 - 380 of 516 Posts