Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd post this for the folks that are looking to grab a closeout or might be in the market to pick up a used RIP.

Picked up a closeout 2012 RIP 9 and took it out for the maiden voyage today. We've had a ton of rain lately so the local trails are hurting. Had to hit a local greenway trail (basically fire roads) that has some short sections of singletrack. Just enough to get a feel for the handling and to start to dial in the setup.

Why did I wait so long to pick one up??!!

I've had a ton of bikes over the years (just ask my wife) including several FS 29ers (TNT Sultan, DW Sultan, 3 Stumpjumper FSR 29ers, GF HiFi 29er, Epic 29er) and currently also have a Spearfish. Still early and need to spend some time riding it on different trails, but so far the RIP is impressive. Pedals very well but suspension stays active over the rough stuff.

The best comparison is probably the DW Sultan, which was a great trail bike, but the suspension was a little too soft for my taste. I like to play on the trail jumping little rollers, hopping roots and logs, and what not, and the Sultan was so plush that it soaked up my energy when I tried to pre-load to bunny hop. Was concerned that the RIP would have a similar feel, but so far it seems to bunny hop easier since it doesn't soak up that energy when pre-loading the suspension.

So far so good. I'll follow up with some more feedback after I've had a chance to do a proper shakedown.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
You wait till you get it in the ruff.

I had a lot of bikes before I got My 1st Rip9 & the Rip9 really lifted my riding, So much more than any bike before it.

Figured I'd post this for the folks that are looking to grab a closeout or might be in the market to pick up a used RIP.

Picked up a closeout 2012 RIP 9 and took it out for the maiden voyage today. We've had a ton of rain lately so the local trails are hurting. Had to hit a local greenway trail (basically fire roads) that has some short sections of singletrack. Just enough to get a feel for the handling and to start to dial in the setup.

Why did I wait so long to pick one up??!!

I've had a ton of bikes over the years (just ask my wife) including several FS 29ers (TNT Sultan, DW Sultan, 3 Stumpjumper FSR 29ers, GF HiFi 29er, Epic 29er) and currently also have a Spearfish. Still early and need to spend some time riding it on different trails, but so far the RIP is impressive. Pedals very well but suspension stays active over the rough stuff.

The best comparison is probably the DW Sultan, which was a great trail bike, but the suspension was a little too soft for my taste. I like to play on the trail jumping little rollers, hopping roots and logs, and what not, and the Sultan was so plush that it soaked up my energy when I tried to pre-load to bunny hop. Was concerned that the RIP would have a similar feel, but so far it seems to bunny hop easier since it doesn't soak up that energy when pre-loading the suspension.

So far so good. I'll follow up with some more feedback after I've had a chance to do a proper shakedown.

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny - after spending a little time on the RIP I'm questioning keeping the Spearfish! May put the Spearfish frame up for sale and search out a Jet closeout too! Can't wait to get out on the RIP again! Decisions, decisions.

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great ride so far. Still working to fine tune the ride a bit but so far it's sweet. Initially set it up a little firm and have been slowly dropping the pressure.

The bike tracks and handles well - smooth roller but still pedals very well. I'm impressed. This will be a great all day trail bike - plenty efficient, quick enough handling and not too heavy.

This is the 4.5" travel version but I don't feel like I'm short on travel. The suspension design is one that works well at hovering in the mid range of the travel with some travel to soak up rough stuff and enough sag to extend downward to follow the trail. That down travel really helps with climbing - rear tire tracks the trail really well without bouncing off the rough stuff.

If you have thought about picking up a closeout I've got to say that I would strongly recommend it. You won't find a better trail bike for the money.

More later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts