Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I was recently pursuing a 12' Rumblefish, but with delays and unanswered questions from my LBS's Trek rep, I switched to an available Remedy 9. Needless to say, I'm very very excited.

I'm coming from a 2007 Fuel Ex8. I ride primarily technical singletrack. Constant ups and downs. Short intense climbs and sketchy fun downhills. I think this bike is going to inject some speed, flow, and fun into my rides.

Also note, I ride downhill on an 11' Session 8. Love it, love the feel of ABP and full floater shock.

So, My questions are in the suspension setup, tire selection, and adjusting the cockpit and geometry.

1) What kind of weights are you guys getting on Remedy 9's? I'm trying to keep it below 29lbs. Will be putting on some 2.1" DTC Nevegals, folding bead, set up with Stan's no tubes.

2) Do you notice anything when adjusting with the Mino-Link?

3) Does the 32 150 FIT fork have a climbing mode? Also, how are you guys utilizing the compression damping control? I've never had this adjustment on my trail bike. Do you notice a significant difference between the shock settings Climb, Pedal, Descend?

Setup will be:

2012 Remedy 9
Swapping 3x10 to 2x10
MRP XCG chain guard/guide
XT trail pedals
Nevegal 2.1 DTC w/ Stans sealant
Thompson post
Thompson stem
WTB Rocket V Team saddle
Easton XC90 CNT bar

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Just my .02. Kenda tires are a pain to set up tubeless because of the tiny grooves in the bead. Try a Maxxis Ardent 2.25 (not exo because they seal better), better tire then the nevegal and will last you much longer. Try a MRP 2X guide, the XCG is not a guide, just a guard and if you ride techy terrain 2x10 is very susceptible to chain dropping. The 2X will keep the chain in place and very quiet.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Craig,

I have never had trouble sealing my Nevegals before. I've gone through 4 total same tubeless setup no problem. The Stans sealant does a good job of locking that bead up. That said, I do plan on trying some Maxxis tires in the future.

I thought about the 2x guide, but the bike comes with the new XTR Shadow Plus rear mech, which will do a good job of keeping tension on the lower section of chain, minus the resistance of pullies.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
You should be good then. I could never get them to seal, they would always leak air/sealant at the bead. Try Maxxis though, much more durable tire. You would also be surprised how little resistance the 2X guide has, you cannot feel a thing.

·
Registered
634 Posts
29 lbs won't be a problem, my 9.8 in size large (19.5) came in around 28lbs, and carbon doesn't shave much more than a 1/2 lb.
Your Remedy 9 will have the DRCV fork which doesn't have the TALAS adjustment (AFAIK). I find the Talas adjustment to be pretty worthless on my remedy. In the 150mm setting I have no problems clearing the same switchbacks and climbs I do on my XC race hardtail, in fact I prefer the less twitchy steering response.
I'd run the stock tires over Nevegal 2.1, unless you just have a set of old tires you're looking to wear out.
I looked up that handlebar, are you really putting a 560mm flat bar on a Remedy?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not a flat bar. It's a 27 inch low rise. I love the bar. Perfect rise and sweep. Nice and wide.

OK good. Didn't care too much to have the TALAS, especially rather have DRCV instead!

Glad it should be light. I love that the build skimps not a part. Full XT down to the cassette. XTR Shadow plus rear mech...With my additional cockpit carryover parts, the thing will be pimped. The only thing to possibly add in the future would be a slick wheelset.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My 2012 Remedy 9 came in yesterday. Large, with a Reverb, standard 2012 XT pedals, and XR4 tires tubeless is 28.5 to 29 lb range on my home scale. I also have the MRP 2X in route with Race Face 38-26 rings. Probably should have tried the new XTR tensioned rear first. Gorgeous machine.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 2012 Remedy 9 came in yesterday. Large, with a Reverb, standard 2012 XT pedals, and XR4 tires tubeless is 28.5 to 29 lb range on my home scale. I also have the MRP 2X in route with Race Face 38-26 rings. Probably should have tried the new XTR tensioned rear first. Gorgeous machine.
Can't wait to hear a ride report! Great weight too. So, did yours come with the XTR Shadow plus?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, mine came with the XTR Shadow Plus. The 985 I believe. It has the orange lever that Shimano advises to run in the on position, except when pulling the wheel. I am anxious to try it.

The XR4 tires are very large 2.35s. I will probably swap out the rear for something closer to an actual 2.2. Maybe a Purgatory Control. First ride in the morning.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just talked to the shop today. Hopefully it's in tomorrow. That said, I don't know if the tires will be yet. And I won't be riding it until everything is in and I can build it up.

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
I plan on getting this bike in late November. It is really a beautiful bike. I had been bouncing between it and a Stumpy FSR Comp Evo, and when I saw that Trek slackened out the angles for '12, that sealed it for me.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Keep the XR4's!!!! I'm running these on my Nomad and I love them. Team Issue with 120tpi. Very close to the tread pattern as the Kenda's. Maybe try 2.2 with the Super Juice.

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Yes, mine came with the XTR Shadow Plus. The 985 I believe. It has the orange lever that Shimano advises to run in the on position, except when pulling the wheel. I am anxious to try it.

The XR4 tires are very large 2.35s. I will probably swap out the rear for something closer to an actual 2.2. Maybe a Purgatory Control. First ride in the morning.
how do you like the wheels? Are they bontrager or shimano hubs?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how do you like the wheels? Are they bontrager or shimano hubs?
I'm anticipating to be impressed once again by the Bontrager wheels. Since buying my Ex8 in 2007, riding the snot out of it and even going downhilling a few times at Diablo, they've remained stout and faithful. The Bonty wheelset on my Session is just as reliable. I bet they aren't the lightest out there, but for coming stock on a bike, they sure are durable and stiff.

The wheels that come on the Rem 9 will be the highest end Bonty set I've experienced. with QR15 and 20mm, should be a great combo.

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
I'm anticipating to be impressed once again by the Bontrager wheels. Since buying my Ex8 in 2007, riding the snot out of it and even going downhilling a few times at Diablo, they've remained stout and faithful. The Bonty wheelset on my Session is just as reliable. I bet they aren't the lightest out there, but for coming stock on a bike, they sure are durable and stiff.

The wheels that come on the Rem 9 will be the highest end Bonty set I've experienced. with QR15 and 20mm, should be a great combo.
I want it to have Bontrager hubs. On a wheelset like the Rhythm Elites, the bontrager hubs will be really nice. I don't want Shimano hubs because I find that they sound whimpy and have really poor engagement.

·
Registered
61 Posts
2012 Remedy 9 first ride

Rode yesterday over great single track. Some bumps, a nice maiden run.

The bike is very quiet. The xt brakes are powerful and modulate well. The DRCV fork really picks up the small stuff as claimed. Very noticeable. It did require 90 PSI at my 195lbs. Was able to get it using about 140mm. My 140 RLC would run at about 65 PSI.

DRCV shock is smooth, with the three level positions quite noticeable. Follow the instructions for airing up and setting sag, or it will give the impression that it is losing air. Pedal movement is not an issue with the adjusters.
XR4 tires tubeless with Bonti rim strips. Large 2.35. Grip very strong and roll well.
I would try them before pulling off.

The XTR Shadow Plus/985 derailleur works. Maybe test at your home track before going with a chain guide. Wish I did. This product with a 2x10 could be enough. Hard to say. I climb everything I descend, and this bike will be fantastic.

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Did you feel as if it ran through its travel to quickly? Did it feel awkward in the air?

And be honest :lol:

1 - 20 of 222 Posts