Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Mukluk 3 since the Fall of 2011. I still have the stock SRAM X7 FD (high direct mount/bottom pull), RD (long cage), grip shifts, and the stock Truvativ Hussefelt cranks. I have three wheel sets - two have Hope FatSno hubs, and one is the stock wheelset with Salsa hubs.

I have recently purchased three SRAM PG990 cassettes (11/34) - to fix the issue with the cassette eating up my Hope aluminum freehub bodies, and I am awaiting various replacement bearings, bearing tools, and freehub bodies to do a hub service on all wheel sets.

With the bike in pieces at the moment, it seems a good time to upgrade the derailleurs and shifters. I'm pretty much financially committed to staying with 9 speed on the bike (those three PG990 cassettes weren't cheap).

I would like to upgrade to X9 or above on the derailleurs - and I would also like to stay with grip shifters, but upgrade to X9 or above there as well. All of this while leaving the crankset and chainrings stock.

Has anyone been down this road and can recommend some 9 speed SRAM derailleur/shifter models that will work with my setup? Again, I am interested in anything X9, X0, or XX that will let me keep my 9 speed cassettes, stock crank/chainring, and stay with grip shifts.

·
Registered
748 Posts
hey there,

i was lurking around to decide on buying a fat bike, just saw this thread, just like you id like to stick with 9 speed for availbilities and how cheap parts are for now. as the owner of 3 hope rear hopes. all my alloy freehubs are eaten like the are supposed to. 1 got really bad. last time i emailed hope USA for some brake spare parts, also asked them about the grind on alloy freehub. they do sell steel freehubs directly to you. i believe a steel freehub body would be a true long term fix on hope hubs alloy freehub issue, that way you can buy cheaper cassettes not to be worries when riding.

as for the drivetrain upgrade, i dont know if you want 1x or 2x or 3x. so im just gonna go from what i had in the past. ive honestly never had a front deraileur. always 1x9 with 32t front ring. i currently have x9 shifter with x7 short cage rear on one bike, saint m810 short cage combo on my other bike. ill tell you, with the x9/x7 combo is good for the budget you can buy them from here AAWYEAH Bikes and Bicycle Parts for a good price. they have x0 grip shifter and x9 grip shifter. compare to saint, its a bit sloppy. transition is not as smooth. but x9 shifter/x7 rear is very good for the money. as for front der, some folks on here swears sram hasnt made a better one than shimano. again, this is what i read. i hope this helps

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I should have said I have a 2x9 setup. It's not hat I'm a big fan of the 2x9. I'm just not interested in changing it at this time. I'm having a hard enough time understanding this derailleur thing right now :).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts