Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, This is my first post on this forum. I got lot of useful information from here already. I have recently moved to US and I am planning to start riding on trails in Austin. I am looking for a used bike to start with and found two in my budget. I am confused on which one to chose and would like to hear a few opinions

Kona Fire Mountain 2012 (375$)
Rock Shox Dart 2 100mm, Shimano M446 Hydraulic Brakes, Shimano Acera front and rear Derailleur

Gary Fisher Tassajara 2005 (400$)
Manitou Axel Elite 100mm, Hayes Solo XC Hydraulic Brakes, Shimano Deore LX front and rear Derailleur, Shimanu M525 Disk Hubs

Both are 26in wheel size and are maintained in good condition. I rode both of them on paved roads and hence couldnt get a lot of idea on the ride quality. (looks wise, I really liked the Gary Fisher).

I was wondering if matters that the Gary Fisher is 2005 make and some of the components have lot of miles on them.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'd go with the 2012 bike, as bikes have advanced a fair bit since 2005. Suspension has got better, geometry has changed, bars are wider, stems shorter, etc.

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
In this case, with parts quality and price being pretty much equal, I'd go with the GF mainly based on the newness, and the fact that since you like the way it looks better, it might get you fired up to ride it more.

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
Oops - sorry - got 'em confused. Kona it is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and got the 2012 Kona Fire Mountain. Did ride it on the trail yesterday and I liked it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts