Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
61 - 80 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Sean, keep in mind that HQ is a long drive from Hunting Hollow. If you plan to get a map at HQ, you might want to start the ride there too. Just a thought.

If you're riding with JMS, there's a chance someone can get a map to him so as you both don't need to drive all the way to HQ if that isn't your planned starting point.
He won't do the proper 100 mile course then though (and miss out on the fun of the group start)... I for one am curious how fast the 100 mile course can be done so would like to see him start at HH..

Another idea: the course hits HQ at ~mile 37 around noonish, so he could buy it there during the ride; that first part is fairly easy to navigate and there will be other riders around that can help. The map would be needed more in Coe's 'Bermuda Triangle' (Dutch's to Dowdy Ranch) and/or later when GPS batteries may have died or something.

G

·
Coe is one place I wont go with out a map. and it is a very good one.

Not only do I use it to visualize distances, but on a number of occasions have used it to show others where THEY are

·
Puro Vida!
1,303 Posts
I've use the katadyn hiker pro on my long Coe days and while bikepacking and backpacking for over a decade (I have changed the filter inside it in that time). Hasn't let me down yet.

I bet there's something smaller/lighter out there but I've never been too concerned about that.

Nelson: Listen to Holland. Coe is awesome, but don't start with a big ride there unless you're in really great shape. Go on some smaller rides there and build up as you learn the trails and escape routes.

I may come for the start of this, just to cheer folks on at the start and then do a little ride suitable for my fatassery. Depends on the weather and if I get spousal approval.
Yeah I'm gonna sit it out.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
He won't do the proper 100 mile course then though (and miss out on the fun of the group start)... I for one am curious how fast the 100 mile course can be done so would like to see him start at HH..

Another idea: the course hits HQ at ~mile 37 around noonish, so he could buy it there during the ride; that first part is fairly easy to navigate and there will be other riders around that can help. The map would be needed more in Coe's 'Bermuda Triangle' (Dutch's to Dowdy Ranch) and/or later when GPS batteries may have died or something.
Thanks guys, I'd be coming up on Fri afternoon so I would think I would have time to get the map. If not I'll just wing it and hope.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Five more nights before the excitement shall commence, hence there is still plenty of time to get your act together! The weather forecast says sunny with lows in the upper 40s and highs in the 70's - just as ordered ;).

I've added some more stuff on the site, and am copying a few things below.

Elevation profile of the 100 miler, and a pdf cue sheet. GPX file.

There is now a cue sheet for the metric course (100km) as well, and below is the elevation profile. Total vertical is about 14,000 ft. GPX file.

Note these are called 'cue' sheets for a reason: there is no guarantee these will prevent you from getting lost - in fact if you're not familiar with the park, count on getting lost, and using map, GPS, smartphone or a combination of the above to get back on the right track. (This can actually be a fun endeavour on itself, cfr the adventure races that sometimes take place here.) Bring lights with a healthy amount of battery capacity; a water filter or tablets. Plenty of food. The water level of the lakes is pretty low, so lake water may be scummy - luckily HQ, Pacheco Camp, Dowdy Ranch and Camp Willson should have plenty of clean water (with the water from the 'camps' probably best being filtered). There are reports of many down trees - nothing too hazardous but be careful.

IMO one of the toughest parts mentallly on both courses will be to drag yourself up Bear Mountain - but do not despair, like everything, also that climb will end. Hike it if needed. The 'hardest' part of the 100 miler is probably the section between mile 60 and 80 (to Dowdy Ranch and back) - from mile 80 things ease up, but there with a tough kicker in the end - the excursion onto Vasquez and Long Dam roads then followed by a 600 ft climb on Wagon road.

Finally, some news from Aaron and Garret who attempted it two weekends ago. It was a very hot day, and though they were initially way ahead of schedule, they had to bail at around mile 80, mostly due to the heat. I'm copying part of his message below...
(note: due to a navigation issue they appear to have climbed Mac's Corral trail - much harder than the normal route and that deserves kudos!)

[Aaron] After an even harder effort this year, we came up empty handed again. Made it to the same bail-out point at the end of Center Flats Road. We had an awesome start at 1am, made really good time to HQ where we stopped for breakfast and watched the sunrise, and kept up the pace until the Bear Mountain Climb around 10am, when the heat of the day really started to get to us. Our momentary saving grace was Mississippi Lake, where we stopped for the most rejuvenating swim I've ever had. At this point, we were 5 hours ahead of record pace, and thought we had it in the bag. Quick blast down to Pacheco Camp (the pricklies weren't nearly as bad this year!). We could not find phoneline trail AT ALL - spent half an hour going back and forth, and finally just bushwhacked our way down to Coit Rd. Not sure if it was more overgrown this year, or if we were just looking in the wrong place, but I can't understand how we found it in the dark last year and couldn't find it this year! The next few climbs in the burning sun proved to be our undoing. When we finally got down Dutch's, we were totally spent, walking every climb, and Garret was showing signs of mild heat stroke. Due to a GPS malfunction (it kept telling us we were on course when we weren't), we missed the turnoff to Kaiser Aetna Rd, and instead got on a singletrack going up the creek and eventually straight hike-a-bike up the mountain. By the time I realized we missed our turn, we were far enough along the new trail that we decided to just take it all the way up to the visitor's center. Pretty nice trail actually, but it was brutal. Got to the visitor's center around 4:45pm, and Garret was definitely in the throes of heat stroke, so we decided to just chill, soak ourselves with the hose, and get his body temp back down before we headed back to the car. Stayed there for a couple hours while he recovered. Burra burra at sunset was absolutely beautiful, Center Flats was awful as always, and we were back at the cars around 8pm.

Even though I was in much better shape this year, it was WAY harder than last year because of the heat. Temps were definitely in the 90s, much higher than expected (forecast was in the 70s!). Hopefully they come down a bit for you guys in a couple weeks. The trails were in great shape, except there were a large number of downed trees all over the course - nothing dangerous or anything though.

I can do a full writeup at some point if you'd like, and I also took a ton of video, so I'll throw something together.

Now I have even more respect for this route, and want to finish it more than ever!! Definitely not anytime soon though!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Not sure if it has anything to do with Aaron and Garrett's off route adventures, but the track is corrupted in places, just straight lines for a ways where the GPS lost reception. I'm only a bit into going through the track, but there is a significant error between Bear Mountain and I guess Murray Lake? I just followed the road and assume that there is no trail in this area. There are some other 500-1000' sections that are having the same issues. It's off in some intersections as well which does have me worried a bit.

Gonna be interesting:thumbsup:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
Not sure if it has anything to do with Aaron and Garrett's off route adventures, but the track is corrupted in places, just straight lines for a ways where the GPS lost reception. I'm only a bit into going through the track, but there is a significant error between Bear Mountain and I guess Murray Lake? I just followed the road and assume that there is no trail in this area. There are some other 500-1000' sections that are having the same issues. It's off in some intersections as well which does have me worried a bit.

Gonna be interesting:thumbsup:
EDIT: I think I figured out what the issue was - it is the file linked from the MTBGuru site that has the gliches, not the one on the hardcoere100.com server, which is a different (corrected) version. Please don't use the one linked on MTBGuru, but use this one on the hardcoere100.com site instead.

My apologies for the confusion (I have been staring for too long at wiggly lines on a screen I guess) and thanks Sean and Paul for spotting it. Please let me know if you find any other issues with the file(s).

(ignore the rest of the message below)

Sean,

The track I made available is basically the recorded track from last year (with my Edge 705) - I just popped it in Topofusion to take a look at the Bear Mountain area and to me it looks ok. I have some screenshots below, the top part with MyTopo tiles as background, the bottom part with OSM tiles.

The 'roads/trails' on MyTopo or USGS Topo maps are notoriously inaccurate for Coe; the OSM stuff is much better. Maybe you were looking at Topo map tiles? Otherwise, could you send me a screenshot of something that looks wrong? I really want to correct anything that's wrong, though after inspection of the rest of the track (on OSM), everything seems to look fine. Btw, never heard of Murray Lake ;).

·
middle ring single track
4,687 Posts
Siesta!

Sean,

The track I made available is basically the recorded track from last year (with my Edge 705) - I just popped it in Topofusion to take a look at the Bear Mountain area and to me it looks ok. I have some screenshots below, the top part with MyTopo tiles as background, the bottom part with OSM tiles.

The 'roads/trails' on MyTopo or USGS Topo maps are notoriously inaccurate for Coe; the OSM stuff is much better. Maybe you were looking at Topo map tiles? Otherwise, could you send me a screenshot of something that looks wrong? I really want to correct anything that's wrong, though after inspection of the rest of the track (on OSM), everything seems to look fine. Btw, never heard of Murray Lake ;).
Aaron and Garrett probably would have fared better had they taken a siesta! There's a reason the SW was settled by the Spanish (as far as the Europeans are concerned!) They knew how to deal with the heat!

I was out in Coe on Sunday when it was in the 90's; I was on a mission so I pushed through the heat (both literally and figuratively); I only rode 10 or so miles but the +3K of climbing had me sweating like crazy. I went through 1 gallon of water and still had lost 3 pounds at the end of the day.

RE "Murray Lake"; that's Mississippi Lake's original (and still official on some documents) name. If I have my history correct Murray Hopkins was the bulldozer operator for Frank Coit when the dam was put across Mississippi Creek; Murray also dozed many of the roads in Coe. Coit honored him by naming the lake after him but DPR staff took exception the this legacy and named the lake after the creek when this portion of Coe was added to the park. I have no idea how Mississippi Creek was so named; it's certainly not as big as the Mississippi River!

RE the glitches in the GPX file; I could find 3; (A) the one short cutting County Line Road (not a problem because it gets back on track at the turn to the Missisippe Lake Trail); (B) Phoneline Trail (a problem see below); (C) Live Oak Spring Trail (not really a problem as it occurs after the intersection with Wagon Road)

Here's the Phoneline glitch in GE:
Photobucket

Blue = GPX; Yellow = planned route. This is where following the map or the cue sheet will get you there, following the GPS will get you lost. The cue sheet mileage of .5 from the last turn from Coit Rd on to Pacheco Ridge Rd concurs with the map. Do you want to see the fix for Live Oak Springs?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 · (Edited)
Blue = GPX; Yellow = planned route. This is where following the map or the cue sheet will get you there, following the GPS will get you lost. The cue sheet mileage of .5 from the last turn from Coit Rd on to Pacheco Ridge Rd concurs with the map. Do you want to see the fix for Live Oak Springs?
Thanks Paul and Sean for catching these glitches - I now do see the other ones as well (Bear Mtn, Live Oak); I think I have been using a different version of the file while I was doublechecking - the one I'm looking at is different as the one on the server - I will try to fix this asap...

EDIT: it is the file linked from the MTBGuru site that has the gliches, not the one on the hardcoere100.com server, which is a different (corrected) version. Please don't use the one linked on MTBGuru, but use this one on the hardcoere100.com site instead.

My apologies for the confusion (I have been staring for too long at wiggly lines on a screen I guess) and thanks Sean and Paul for spotting it. Please let me know if you find any other issues with the file(s).

·
middle ring single track
4,687 Posts
OK; but...

Thanks Paul and Sean for catching these glitches - I now do see the other ones as well (Bear Mtn, Live Oak); I think I have been using a different version of the file while I was doublechecking - the one I'm looking at is different as the one on the server - I will try to fix this asap...

EDIT: it is the file linked from the MTBGuru site that has the gliches, not the one on the hardcoere100.com server, which is a different (corrected) version. Please don't use the one linked on MTBGuru, but use this one on the hardcoere100.com site instead.

...the above linked file looks pretty clean but this route avoids Pacheco Ridge Road and Phoneline Trail altogether:

Photobucket

Also your route takes the fun little ST social trail that shortcuts the Coit/Wasno Roads intersection; as that trail is not on the map and has no signpost it may cause some grief for riders who may well be in the dark and very tired when the reach this stretch.

Photobucket

Also it would be nice if you could link the GPX files so they download instead of opening in the browser as a text file, I'll quit complaining now!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
...the above linked file looks pretty clean but this route avoids Pacheco Ridge Road and Phoneline Trail altogether:
You are right - that is fixed now too (the new file is on the server, the filename and link are the same in order to not break existing links).

Also your route takes the fun little ST social trail that shortcuts the Coit/Wasno Roads intersection; as that trail is not on the map and has no signpost it may cause some grief for riders who may well be in the dark and very tired when the reach this stretch.
This is for the 100k route right - there are a couple other things that I wanted to fix in it so I will create a new version of that as well asap.

Thanks for doublechecking everything and let this be a reminder that map&cue sheet have their value...

Also it would be nice if you could link the GPX files so they download instead of opening in the browser as a text file, I'll quit complaining now!
I'm too lazy to make a clean PHP or Javascript downloader of sorts ;).

·
Registered
1,332 Posts

Sorry, I'm still getting the same problems. I don't know how to grab a screen shot out of Basecamp but here is a picture of it. This happens in more than a few spots. Topofusion looks exactly the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Sorry, I'm still getting the same problems. I don't know how to grab a screen shot out of Basecamp but here is a picture of it. This happens in more than a few spots. Topofusion looks exactly the same.
I just downloaded the linked file and do not have the issues - somehow you must still have the old version (browser cache?). Send an email to dirkdb at canyonfever.mtbguru.com and I will send you the file by email...

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I just downloaded the linked file and do not have the issues - somehow you must still have the old version (browser cache?). Send an email to dirkdb at canyonfever.mtbguru.com and I will send you the file by email...
Thanks Dirk. I cleared everything out and started fresh and it looks o.k. Thanks for all your work!

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
Let me reiterate my offer to bring an ice chest full of goodies up to HQ for y'all. I'll supply the ice chest so you don't have to worry about getting it later.

SA, if you want a map, but you don't want to drive up to HQ for it (about an hour round trip), I've got one you can borrow from Friday until you ride up there on Saturday. You can return mine and buy a brand new one for yourself.

Send me a PM or email for my number in either case and please come by and say, "hi" when you get up to HQ. I'll be cooking tri-tip.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
O.K. so I've got a bit of a predicament...

JMS was going to be doing this along with me. He convinced me I should ride my hardtail because he was going to as well. I'm not sure of his intentions, it may have been to have someone to suffer with and laugh at as I got the crap beat out of me, or perhaps it is the best choice. He is not going to be riding now so I'm looking for advice for someone who has never been there.

Choices....
19 lb Cannondale Flash 29 Hardtail
24 lb Giant Anthem 29 FS
22 lb Scalpel 26 FS

It's been a while since I've been on the Scalpel so that may out, it would probably take 30 miles for me to get used to the little wheels.

Thanks!

61 - 80 of 183 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.