Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm a bit in a dilemma right now. I can buy both these bike, but at very different price and I need your opinion on this. So I can get the alloy anthem x (2012) for about 2000$ new, or the carbon anthem x 1(2013) for about 3000$ new. Although I prefer the shimano XT on the advanced 1, I also don't really mind the X0/X9 on the alloy anthem.

So my question is, is there enough difference (in weigh and stiffness) to justify the 1000$ difference between both bike ? Have geometry between these 2 years or suspension technology from Rockshox changed a lot from 2012 to 2013 to justify buying the newer bike ?

Lastly, would it make more sense to just invest 1000$ for wheels, lighter components in the 2012 bike instead ? Because I think I can easily save more than a pound without going crazy with lighter wheels, post, handlebar, better shifters, cassette and chains. How much lighter is the advanced 1 model anyways compare to the alloy anthem ?

What seems to make more sense for you guys ?

Thanx for all your advice and comments !

·
Registered
31 Posts
NRS_Comp 1, here is my two cents. I just got the carbon anthem 29er and I have not ridden the aluminum. Last night was my first ride on it coming off a carbon Niner Jet9 RDO. I had a fox F29 120 on the RDO and I think the RDO was a little bit more active under power and plusher in general. The Anthem seemed twitchy at high speed so I think if I put the 120 on the Anthem, it will slacken the headtube angle and slow the steering nicely. So in my eyes, that might be a consideration that leans me toward the cheaper Aluminum Anthem. In general, I prefer Fox to Rock Shox. I will say the SID RTC3 on my Anthem surprised me, but it is a race fork and the F29 will be plusher and slacken the head tube angle which would both be welcome to me. Like you said, the $1000 will buy you better wheels, etc. and in my eyes that makes a hugh difference. You can look on the Giant web page on the bottom in small print is bike archive. Then you can look up both bikes to check geometry, but I doubt much has changed. I read somewhere the weight difference is 186? grams. Hardly anything to worry about. Hope you found something I wrote use full and good luck.

D

·
0 Posts
I have the Advanced 1 and my buddy has the Aluminum 1. We are both happy with our choices. The carbon isn't much lighter, but it is stiffer. And the wheelset on my Advanced 1 is much lighter with better hubs than his. He upgraded to Arch EXs, so that's another $400+.

You can't go wrong, really. Just pick your price point and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I say, if you're already planning on investing another $1k into the alum., then go ahead and get the advanced. I'd rather have the spec on the adv. too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I say, if you're already planning on investing another $1k into the alum., then go ahead and get the advanced. I'd rather have the spec on the adv. too.
Well it's not that easy because the only real difference between the advance and the alloy version seems to be the XT groupset, which I tend to like more (especially for the brakes), but the wheels are the same (over 2000 g apparently) and the frame is maybe 200g lighter. So the way I see it for about the same price of the advanced I can probably save more than half a kilo with lighter parts. Am I wrong to think that ?

I also understand that the carbon version will be a bit stiffer but at 150lb I rarely push the limits of frame stiffness.

just to add to the discussion, I also have the option to buy a lightly used 2012 Trek Superfly 100 elite at about 200$ cheaper than the new Anthem x Advanced. Any thoughts on this particular bike and how would it compare to the Giant ? I'll be using the bike mainly for marathon type racing and light trail riding.

Thanks for your comments !

·
Your Best Friend
5,215 Posts
Only part of the reason to buy a carbon frame is for the weight savings, the biggest imo is for the frame stiffness that carbon provides, plus a better fatigue life compared to aluminum. By using carbon your bike forces the frame to utilize the suspension and it can cause it to really shine or highlight the flaws in a design. The Maestro shines with a stiff frame.

RS is a much better suspension platform on the Anthem than Fox. I've ridden Anthems equipped with both brands extensively and so I feel like I've earned my opinion on this one. With the Fox, the bike rides much deeper in it's travel and feels sluggish. The RS is exactly the opposite. Yes, I do know how to set up my suspension so that isn't why.

If you can swing the $3K for the Advanced Anthem. I'd go for it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i was wondering if anyone had a 2012 giant anthem X 0 and could tell me how much it weights stock ? because I now also have the option to buy a 2012 trek superfly 100 elite for about 700$ more. Should I consider the Trek, especially since it comes with a full XT groupset and probably weights about 1.5 lb less than the giant ?

Your thoughts ?

Thanks!

·
Your Best Friend
5,215 Posts
VERY different suspension systems with different ride characteristics. You will really need to ride them both to make an informed choice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I cant tell you what the Giant weighs stock as I got mine as a frame and built it, but mine is a XL and with a modest build its 25.86 lbs. As for the Trek, a local bike shop owner that has had every bike under the sun including a super decked out Niner Jet9RDO, still prefers his superfly 100. It is three years old and he is a expert rider, so he puts it through its paces and it's still going strong.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cant tell you what the Giant weighs stock as I got mine as a frame and built it, but mine is a XL and with a modest build its 25.86 lbs. As for the Trek, a local bike shop owner that has had every bike under the sun including a super decked out Niner Jet9RDO, still prefers his superfly 100. It is three years old and he is a expert rider, so he puts it through its paces and it's still going strong.
Thanks for your input. Can I ask what kind of setup you're running on your giant anthem x. That would help me to put the weight you gave me in perspective. Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
O.K. , I have a SID RTC3 fork, Stans Arch wheels (older not the new EX), Sram XX crankset, X9 shifters and derailleurs, I don't know what cassette but its a bottom line 12-36. I got the seatpost with the frame so it's a giant carbon. The stem is also the carbon giant and the bars are niner rdo 720 wide I think? Formula brakes, R1 S, the ones that come on bikes stock, not the aftermarket R1 top dogs. So run the XX1 and I bet you would be in the high 24 lb. range.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I'm almost settle on the giant athem x advanced 1. I just need to hear your thoughts on the deal I'm getting. The bike is pretty much new, stock build except it has a new XTR 2x10 crank and a new rear XTR clutch derailleur, all this for 3000$.

Do you think this is a good price for a bike that has hardly been ridden ? In Canada the bike retailed for 4500$ new.

Thank you all for your comments !

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do you know the guy selling it? Is he the original owner? If not , that may be a concern. I bought my Jet9 RDO used and it broke (manufacture defect) and since I'm the second owner they said sorry but we can't help you. If the owner would be willing to send it back for you should a problem arise, great. Otherwise, you may want to consider the Trek if its new so you get the warranty. Giant is way better than Niner for standing behind their product ( I know from experience!) so the XTR Anthem would be sweet if you choose that route. Just put something on the downtube to protect it!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hows your Giant Anthem treating you i have the same bike and love it, im doing the Munda biddi trail in October on it.
I like mine and it got way better after the rear shock was rebuilt!!! I ride my new Trance X1 most of the time for trail riding and save the Anthem for races or fast non rocky trails. The Trance is stock except some pimp carbon wheels with Chris King hubs and carbon bars. I live in upstate NY and thats my go to for the rocky, root filled trails here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts