·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is the setup
Santa Cruz Nomad 2.0
2012 Talas 180

Fork is setup as follows:
- 55 psi (I weight 200lbs with riding gear)
- high and low speed compression both turned all the way to the minus
- rebound is set 1 click to the slow side of middle.

tire pressure is spot on 31psi (tubless Minnon's if it matters)

the issue:
The fork feels very stiff over the choppy small stuff and sluggish over babyheads..

I have a 2011 Talas 150 on a blur LT setup almost identically and it is a "dialed" runs great, snappy and wonderful... :)

any suggestions would be terrific...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
new forks need to be broken in, but it's clearly broken it says fox. lol
The fork/bike does have about 200-300 miles into it.. I've been fighting the issues since I assembled the rig.
:madman:

Every time I think I have it fixed, the next ride it stiffens up again.

I also recently moved to Denver from near sea level. I'm not sure if elevation would have anything to do with it...

Thinner oil perhaps?

·
Registered
691 Posts
My float 180 was feeling like that after a bit of riding. I changed the oil and made sure the foam rings were well saturated. Fox says to change the oil every 25 hours of use. Made a big difference with mine. Maybe some slick honey and store it upside down?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
There is a well documented problem with a failing scraper seal on the 2011/2012 Fox Float 180s.
Not sure if the Talas suffers the same problem, but loss of travel and a fork that feels too stiff/too progressive is the symptom.
Bath oil enters the air chamber and the travel is reduced and the fork feels stiff early in the stroke.
Call Fox and ask them if 2012 180 Talas has the same issue that the Float does.

·
Well Biked
1,959 Posts
How much sag does that PSI get you? How much travel do you typically use in the ride? I am almost your weight and run 65 PSI. I think If I reduced it below that I would have to damp it a lot.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Is the 55 psi the recommended air pressure within the Fox Manual for your weight? I remember for my weight they recommended 65 psi which made the fork feel horrible and SUPER STIFF. Run it at 45 psi now adjusting the compresion only and completely differenc story. I actually use my full travel only on big hits. Small bump side of things is perfect.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I have 2 Float 180 forks. One is on my Firebird (heavier build, and loving it) and one is on my Nomad Carbon (lighter buildISH!). Both are plush but suck the big stuff up.

I have to say the 2012 is a little bit more refined than the 2011 for trail riding but it's really subtle. I'm running 5cc float fluid on top of the piston, the seal mod (Fox will send them to you if you have bath oil to piston leakage free of charge). I'm more like 230 plus equipment. I use every single bit of my 180mm of travel and it's damn good travel. I've set the HSC so that if it's even 1 click more it won't use all the travel on my ride. Your psi dosen't sound excessive... how many CC on top of the piston do you have? What are your settings?

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Nothing to say about the fork, no experience to share. Nice bike however!
Small thing: Since you probably climb with that bike, I'd try the new High Roller 2 in the rear if I was you. Just as good descending, way better to climb with. The old DHR is a pig when you have to pedal anywhere.

·
KoNa KiD
325 Posts
Ive got the same fork as you and weigh in at 190ish. Im pretty sure i dont have my PSI that high, i first set it to the fox recomendation in the manual and it felt stiff, so i just bled air out till it felt good and adjusted the dampening. now its butter smooth

Maybe try that.....nice bike though, how much does it weigh?

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
I have the same fork and it's running much plusher, as at my weight of 170lb I run 55psi, 2/3 LSC, 1/3 HSC. I've changed the chassis oil a couple times but I'd like to relube the TALAS seals for more small bump sensitivity. Can someone post a link to TALAS service instructions? Do you need some special inflation needle or other unique tool before opening the TALAS cart?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The old DHR is a pig when you have to pedal anywhere.
AGREED! we rode Northstar all summer and it was good there... Since moving to Colorado I have switched to smaller, lighter tires. Once woren out will be making the upgrade to the HR2's.

..and thanks for the compliment on the bike... i loves it lots... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am getting about the right amount of sag (25% ish), recommend in the fox manual is 90 PSI...

Based on the feedback I'm getting here, I will pull it apart put a little lighter weight oil in there and give it a go.

thanks again for all the feedback, it's very much appreciated!

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
Based on the feedback I'm getting here, I will pull it apart put a little lighter weight oil in there and give it a go.
I don't think anyone said to do that. The air and damper carts are sealed so you'd just be putting lighter lube oil in the chassis which won't stay on the upper bushings and seals as well.
Eveyone else (including much lighter people) think the stock damping oil is fine so don't open the damper.
That leaves air build up in the legs, a dry/dirty chassis, or TALAS cart that's dry or has too much oil in the wrong place as the likely culprits. Do a chassis service according to Fox's instructions and consider sending the TALAS cart to Fox for a service*.

*They really aren't home servicable?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts