Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Bigger is better!
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just ordered a 2011 Sultan, I'm not sure which fork to get..

F34?
Revelation? Curious about the dual position damper.

Has anyone tried both and can give comparison?

Any other options worth considering?

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,369 Posts
What kind of riding are you expecting to do on your Sultan? I just got back from riding in Southern Utah on my Sultan with first generation Reba 120 and it worked really well. There may have been a few spots where the larger stanchions of the F34 would have been nice to lessen the front end twisting a few times, but in general the 120mm of travel worked just find.

·
Bigger is better!
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had a WB F135 which did NOT impress. It seems like the Loop is quite different from the old Fluid ones, but still I'm a little hesitant...

It seems like both Fox and Marzocchi are using metal negative springs?
Being a clyde (240-250 rtr), I have to say that the RS Dual Air system is really good wrt getting both the pos and neg pressure to what I want.
Is it even possible to change out the negative springs in the Fox (and Marz) forks yourself?

This wasn't very flattering I must say:
Review: 2010 Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti 29er Suspension Fork | Bike198

Having read some not-so-good things about the Revelation Dual Pos system, I may just go with a Revelation/Reba Dual air. Hmm...

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
I have a 2010 Fox F29 and it sucks tail. It has been rebuilt twice but still sucks. It doesn't get full travel and the travel it has is harsh. The best 29er fork I have ridden is the Rock Shox Reba. The 44 Micro sounds very interesting. Marzocchi used to easily make the best forks and it seems they are getting their act together again....I used to love their forks.

·
Bigger is better!
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a difference between the 2011 Reba RLT Ti and the equivalent 2012 Revelation, both 140mm?
I have been quite happy with my Reba Team 120mm, so I'm a little tempted to go safe (and cheap) with a 2011 Reba RLT Ti 140mm.

·
Delirious Tuck
2,471 Posts
Sup kiddies!

I now have a few rides on my 34 Float. For this 240-250lbs-ish rider, I felt the stiffness almost immediately, it saved my bacon on a cased drop and made me f-up a couple rock garden lines because I was anticipating some deflection I normally got with my 120 straight steerer REBA (w/20mm TA).

The tapered steerer tube must also be given credit, I think it stiffened some things up, but I run a tapered REBA 120 w/20mm on another 29er in the fleet and I think the beefier stanchion contributes a bit more to holding the line if you will.

Set up of the 140 was simple as would be expected at this price point.

The 140mm took about 10-15 minutes of riding, i.e. a couple techy climbs to really figure out where the balance was. Didn't make the Sultan any less effective in the technical climbs, just had to exaggerate motions a bit more on the ledgy ups. Maybe on a long day I'd feel that extra effort, but the ability to hold a line would probably make up for that effort. I'll continue to put the fork through its paces, but I have a feeling my Enduro will see less trail time...

I

·
Registered
356 Posts
almost done building mine with the Fox 34 Talas

pic was taken a few days ago, only have to trim the Reverb hose and she's good to go.

If I was more on a budget I'd go with the Marz 44 that pops up on chainlove from time to time.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've been collecting parts all summer long, the fork was the last piece... only to find out that my Black Eye I9's where not 15mm for the Fox so had to wait another 2weeks for I9 to ano a 15mm conversion for my front hub. I can't wait to get this on the trail... it's a very similar build to my 5Spot but feels different in the cockpit... not bad, just different. I know my bars are higher so i'm gonna have to play with that for a bit.

·
Delirious Tuck
2,471 Posts
I was running a 110mm stem then dropped to 70mm on the old DW frame with longer TT steeper HTA and a 120mm fork...

I'm running my enve bars level to ground at the center of the E on Enve. Little up and forward and feels okay with the 70mm and a spacer, but cockpit setup is probably more personal than saddle choice.

·
Registered
787 Posts
almost done building mine with the Fox 34 Talas

pic was taken a few days ago, only have to trim the Reverb hose and she's good to go.

If I was more on a budget I'd go with the Marz 44 that pops up on chainlove from time to time.
Hey Rodel great looking ride. I'm putting together my 11 as well and have decided to go Fox 34 as well. If you could measure the head angle of your sultan with the 34 that would be great. Just wondering if I should lower it to 130 and bring down the front end to make up for the external lower cup. Or just leave it at 140. Thanks if you can. :thumbsup:

·
Bigger is better!
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seems like all the cool kids are running F34s :)

I actually went for a 140mm Reba RLT Ti myself.. A 2011 fork that is. Eeeek!
I really like my current Reba Team 120mm, so I figured a tapered version with 20mm more travel should be the bees knees.

2mm thicker stanchions probably doesn't do anything to stiffness, right?
;)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hey Rodel great looking ride. I'm putting together my 11 as well and have decided to go Fox 34 as well. If you could measure the head angle of your sultan with the 34 that would be great. Just wondering if I should lower it to 130 and bring down the front end to make up for the external lower cup. Or just leave it at 140. Thanks if you can. :thumbsup:
kreater - un-scientifically using an iPhone app :D, taking numerous measurements... the range came out to 68.2 - 68.4*... with CK external lower cup, running Specialized Purgatory 2.4 front and 2.2 rear.

·
Registered
787 Posts
kreater - un-scientifically using an iPhone app :D, taking numerous measurements... the range came out to 68.2 - 68.4*... with CK external lower cup, running Specialized Purgatory 2.4 front and 2.2 rear.
great thank you!!! i'm running a cane creek 110 lower cup. very close to the king. with ardent 2.4 front. waiting on the 34. thanks again. :D

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.