Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mine showed up this week. Was in the high 28's out of the box with XTR pedals.

Replaced stock wheels and tires for a set of Hope EVOs/Arches/Captains.

Went to Hope Tech X2s on floating rotors (which are not very true out of the packaging by the way).

Race Face carbon post, Selle Italia saddle, X-9 shifters/rear der. and Ergon grips.

Still at 28.2 lbs, but this is a training/fun/trail bike that I want reliability of and not WW...I have a 21lb carbon Stumpy HT EVO for racing.

Only complaint is the single waterbottle cage that is really tight, but I know that's a drawback to a small 29er frame (my HT is the same way) and that the 60mm stem stock on the small is WAY too short. I've got a 75 on there now, and my seat all the way back, so I may be going to a 90 to get the seat back centered.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sweet setup! I am using mine for the same purpose; keepin relatively heavy to train with. Did your LBS have any info why the frame has M4 tags on it?

The noisy rebound stroke on the stock Fox fork is bugging me, tried almost everything to get rid of it. Thinking about swapping it out with a '12 120mm Fox FIT from another bike for a little while. The stock brakes are great but I suspect the rear rotor may be slightly warped.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing more than assuming the website description is a typo. The fork sound is slightly annoying, but I'm assuming that it's a Fox thing and not Specialized.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nothing more than assuming the website description is a typo. The fork sound is slightly annoying, but I'm assuming that it's a Fox thing and not Specialized.
That's a pretty major typo. Isn't the M5 frame one of the justifications for the price increase over the next model down?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The next (only) 29er down the line is spec'd out much lower as well, including the M4 designation. I emailed Specialized last week, and haven't gotten a response.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm curious to find out what the deal is, as I'm really interested in this bike. I'm also curious why the US doesn't get the option for a non-carbon expert model...

In any event, I currently ride a 2003 stumpumper comp. Do you think I'd see a pretty decent improvement moving up to the 2012 camber comp 29er?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just from the 26 to 29er jump in most situations, yes.

I really like this bike, but I'm a racer at heart so it's tough for me to love the bike, if that makes any sense.

I love how fast my SJ HT carbon 29er is...it's a 21lb rocket, and is almost like cheating going uphill. But a few hours in the saddle, and your ready to be done with it.

This bike is 28lbs and you feel it all, even with a slightly lighter wheelset. But I didn't buy it (and won't) for racing.

I came off a 26in SC Superlight and while that one did the quick accelerations better and seemed to climb faster, my overall average speed on my usual routes is the same, if not slightly faster...the Camber just doesn't feel as fast. That may be a 26 vs 29 thing though. I didn't get an Epic for the $ savings and also not wanting to mess with the brain maint. etc for a an everyday bike. If I could only have one bike, it would have been a carbon Epic though.

I can tell the difference in the Triad vs the RP23 on my SC, and my next upgrade will be an RP23 for this bike, they are just that much better.

I would have liked the carbon Camber, just wasn't wasnt in the cards.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the input! I'm certainly not a racer by any means. Just like to get out and ride. I usually do 2-3 hour rides of 17-25 miles. Will do a 50 miler at least once a year.

I'm hoping to demo the camber in October, but want to learn as much about it as possible in the meantime.

Any idea what the difference is between the M4 and the M5?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
100% speculation on my part, but I assume either the usage of lower grade (cheaper presumeably) alum in some or all locations, resulting in a need for more of it and a resulting weight increase.

Unfortanately I didn't notice the M4 logo until I had put quite a few miles and upgrades on mine...I'm not going to dwell on it because it doesn't really matter at this point.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I was told that the M5 is about 5oz. lighter and is slightly stiffer than the M4. The rep told be you really would not notice the stiffness unless your a larger rider.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Mine showed up this week. Was in the high 28's out of the box with XTR pedals.

Replaced stock wheels and tires for a set of Hope EVOs/Arches/Captains.

Went to Hope Tech X2s on floating rotors (which are not very true out of the packaging by the way).

Race Face carbon post, Selle Italia saddle, X-9 shifters/rear der. and Ergon grips.

Still at 28.2 lbs, but this is a training/fun/trail bike that I want reliability of and not WW...I have a 21lb carbon Stumpy HT EVO for racing.

Only complaint is the single waterbottle cage that is really tight, but I know that's a drawback to a small 29er frame (my HT is the same way) and that the 60mm stem stock on the small is WAY too short. I've got a 75 on there now, and my seat all the way back, so I may be going to a 90 to get the seat back centered.
Did you try an M size Camber?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, and I had no standover clearance, meaning i was literally straddeling (sp?) the top tube.

On the M5 vs. M4 I got this response from Specialized jsut now...

"Hi there. Thanks for your inquiry. That decal is a typo. So sorry about that. The frame you have is M5 composite."

1 - 20 of 30 Posts