Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear Avid Code lost some pressure last season. I re-bled the brake, got the pressure matching the other one, but after some parking lot testing it's lost pressure again.

There's no oil leaking anywhere that I can see. Any idea what's going on?

·
Registered
291 Posts
It has air trapped. Your not getting a good bleed. Make sure you use fresh dot 5.1 not an old opened one.
Bring the reach out and if you have pad contact turn that all the way opposite the arrow. It helps to have the lever up much higher then the caliper. Also tapping on the caliper and hose while drawing a vacuum helps break air bubbles free. Rotate the master cylinder up and down 180 degrees while drawing a vacuum to help dislodge air bubbles. Removing the grip is helpful when you clamp down the lever during the caliper/hose bleed portion.

Check your work by hanging or standing the bike with the levers inverted and squeezing them. Trapper air will usually run to the lever body rather quickly.

Or just get saint

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the leak. The silver part that the hose runs into is completely loose. It spins without tightening. On the other brake it's completely fixed with no play at all.

Any idea if this is an easy fix?

CAM00232.jpg

·
Registered
168 Posts
Page 30 http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/rvl1koFpVmCJI82F3LEKPzizp_BTbdqPcEo0CTsFEJs/mtime:1372788170/sites/default/files/techdocs/2012_avid_spc_rev_c.pdf

The silver nut doesn't seem to have any threads at the other end. Did you try turning this during your bleed? It's possible you may have damaged the seal. Looks like it was designed to twist to prevent the main hose from loosening. Tech doc says it's not serviceable and requires a new lever assembly.

If it's not leaking, I would try a bleed again following the avid bleed tutorial.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts