Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Niner website says that a headset is included for the tapered headset on the 2012 Air 9, but it isn't very specific. So I am have a few questions:

Does the headset includes everything I need, especially the fork race for a tapered fork?

Does it include a race for a non-tapered steerer? (I know some previous RIP 9's did)

The tapered head tube is over an inch longer (on an XL) than the 2011 non-tapered. Can anyone provide a measurement of their headset+head tube height (without spacers and stem) and their frame size? I am trying to estimate how long of a steer tube I need on a used fork.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Niner website says headsets are included but there were a fair amount that were shipped from Taiwan without therefore making us smucks have to shell $$ out for a headset at our LBS, The headsets were to be FSA for tapered steerer tubes, My steerer tube with 1" of lower spacers and about 3/4 abouve the stem was 8.25 inches for a LARGE Air 9,

·
Fan of 'Hams
228 Posts
My new 2012 Air-9 frame delivered last week did come with a FSA headset. It definitely came with a base plate for use with a 1.5" fork... but I'm not sure if there was also one in there for 1.125" or not (it's at my dealer getting built so I can't check right now).

On a related topic, I've seen mixed information on the compatibility of King headsets with the Niners. Will King's Inset #2 design work on these? Just curious as I'll probably use the included FSA at least initially. https://chrisking.com/files/upload/headsets/44mm-56mm-Headtube-Fit-Guide.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts