Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have the 2011 SJ SS frameset as well, but have yet to ride it more than an hour or so because of the horrendous winter we are having. I hope that I don't have a problem with the EBB creaking, I had the same problem with my Salsa Selma and got rid of it because it sounded like an old rocking chair. What I had tried in the past, is to clean and lube everything throroughly. There are different schools of thought on this topic. Some people feel that lube attracts dirt thus causing the creaks. I'd make sure that the frame and EBB are free of burrs and imperfections, lube it, and make sure all is tightened according to spec. In the past, I've tried multiple bb, different types of lube, different torques, wrapping the EBB in plumbers tape, etc. But to no avail. I'm hoping for better performance from my SJSS. Good luck and let us know how you make out, I'll be interested since we just got another 6" of snow here. Hating upstate NY.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its not so much of a creek as a snap noise on each down stoke side to side.I took every thing apart & relubed ill be racing it this weekend so we'll see.Im running noir carbon cranks
with a king BB.I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mine always creaks out of the saddle. I have tried two different cranks with two different style bottom brackets. I tried plumbers tape and all the other fixes on this forum.

Every time I disassemble the thing, clean it, re-lube and torque it exactly how Spesh recommends it stops for about half a ride. I use a really nice torque wrench to do it to spec and the bolts show an obvious bend to them when removed. I thought this maybe part of the problem so I replaced the bolts with nice stainless ones from mcmaster carr with no results. Ironically my buddy has the same frame and his has never made a peep.

I have given up on this frame. I may just weld up the EBB and turn it into a 1X10.:madman:

However to make myself feel better I bought the S works SS frameset, but the wait has been forever adding salt to the wound.

JMC

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I fixed it.It wasnt the ebb it was the contact point between the chainring & cranks:madman: I put a little grease between them and fixed it is .Thank goodness
I was getting discouraged.Thanks for the input.Heres some pics just for giggles.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The cog & chainring came from Homebrewedcomponants.Top notch stuff! I wish my post
had more off set I have the Ebb all the way in the back position to get the shortest chain stays 16.75 ! It just makes the seat tube angle a bit steep its ok though this is just a race bike.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
JMCCRNA said:
Mine always creaks out of the saddle. I have tried two different cranks with two different style bottom brackets. I tried plumbers tape and all the other fixes on this forum.

Every time I disassemble the thing, clean it, re-lube and torque it exactly how Spesh recommends it stops for about half a ride. I use a really nice torque wrench to do it to spec and the bolts show an obvious bend to them when removed. I thought this maybe part of the problem so I replaced the bolts with nice stainless ones from mcmaster carr with no results. Ironically my buddy has the same frame and his has never made a peep.

I have given up on this frame. I may just weld up the EBB and turn it into a 1X10.:madman:

However to make myself feel better I bought the S works SS frameset, but the wait has been forever adding salt to the wound.

JMC
Long shot, but have you tried lubricating your pedals?

·
Registered
261 Posts
No creaks so far...

Got rid of a Niner ONE9 because of creaking, (re-teflon tape and clean the shell after every other ride? no thanks) but the 2011 SJ SS 29er has been a dream. The frame weighs 1/2lb more, but I do like that the handling is a tad on the relaxed side compared to the Niner. All of my rides on the SJ have been wet and NO CREAKS !

·
Registered
235 Posts
I take back everything I said about the ebb. I have had several creak free rides since I made some adjustments. I believe It was a combo of too much chain tension and the cog spacers I was using. So far so good. I will still be using this as a 1 x 9 when I get the S works version, but all in all I love this bike. It rides great. My carbon frame wont be ready till late May. My buddy had his brand new all black evo out today, pretty sweet ride.

Joe

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
leonidas 119 said:
Fixedgear,
Did that crank come with those pieces for the outside of your chainring to fill where the big ring should be ? Where can I get some aftermarket?
No those litttle pieces came with the stock o/e truvative cranks I just transfered
them to these cranks they really finish it off well and you dont need to use short
crank bolts.Ive never seen them anywhere else.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.