Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if any of you follow Paul Rowney (YetiOz) on Twitter, but he has just posted up pics of the brand new Yeti ASR-C. No more seat mast and higher modulus carbon for 2011. It looks awesome and is supposed to be even stiffer than previous incarnations. This one has been built up for Sid Taberlay who'll be racing it at the Australian National MTB Championships this week.

http://yfrog.com/hsvsbqaj

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am so disappointed. Seatmast made it unique, now it's just a plain XC carbon bike...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Tempest3070 said:
Performance first. Uniqueness second.
and removing seatmast improved performance how? yeti just admitted that they have no idea how to make a good clamp for the mast.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
evil zlayo said:
and removing seatmast improved performance how? yeti just admitted that they have no idea how to make a good clamp for the mast.
My clamp on my 2009 ASR-C is fine. I think the 2011 ASR-C looks great and if they've managed to drop weight AND increase stiffness then that is all any racer wants.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Paperplane said:
My clamp on my 2009 ASR-C is fine. I think the 2011 ASR-C looks great and if they've managed to drop weight AND increase stiffness then that is all any racer wants.
And that's exactly what they did. Carbon is also better for 2011.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
I know that a lot of people have problems with the
seatmast, but I haven't. A frame with a seatmast
will be stiffer and lighter, that is a fact. Most of the
highend road bikes now use some type of a mast.
Its to bad Yeti couldn't get it to work out for them.
However I'm glad I got mine when I did because I
love it.

Best, John

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'd hit that, but would prefer the ISP.
I don't have the ASR, but I've got the ASR5c and just picked up a 25th 575.
I travel a lot by air and the only plus side I can see with a bike using a seatpost is that it's easier to pack and in the end it's easier to sell.
My road bike has the ISP and it's a bugger to pack but the ride quality is something you can actually feel over a seatposted bike.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The awesome dudes at yeti set me up with a 2011 when my second "not as high modulus" ASR C lower pivot area cracked. Weather's been too crappy to hit the trails and no races for another month around here but so far this frame is making me want to upgrade everything! My ISM clamp never gave me any problems and the mast is cool as hell but the new frame with Thompson seat post is killer too there's no noticeable new flexing. I can't wait to race this dog! I wonder if they went to standard seat post because too many Nancys were scared of it...

·
Livin' the Dream
506 Posts
sasquatch2 said:
The awesome dudes at yeti set me up with a 2011 when my second "not as high modulus" ASR C lower pivot area cracked. Weather's been too crappy to hit the trails and no races for another month around here but so far this frame is making me want to upgrade everything! My ISM clamp never gave me any problems and the mast is cool as hell but the new frame with Thompson seat post is killer too there's no noticeable new flexing. I can't wait to race this dog! I wonder if they went to standard seat post because too many Nancys were scared of it...
I think that's it. The first generation seat mast that was a metal post sliding down over carbon sucked, the 2nd version that was carbon on carbon was ok, but squeaked, but the most recent one with the billet "Yeti" logo in it has been spot on for me. I haven't had any problems at all with it. Some times society just isn't ready for radical thought.:cool:

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Selling a mountain bike with an ISP is a serious PIA. It made it really tough to sell my ASRc. I liked it, but would prefer a standard setup for resale.

Testing has shown that most road bikes with ISPs are actually less stiff than their standard seatpost versions.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Phatpants said:
Was at Yeti the other day and took a few pics of the new ASR C (bare frame), and a bunch of other pics of '11 frames. Heyyyo: Yeti Visit
Aaargh! Can't they box one of those ASR5C frames and ship it to me! Don't feel like waiting any longer. Cool pictures.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Forgot to mention, I'm pretty sure it's equipped with Yeti's new chip system out back like the bigtop29. FWIW

1 - 20 of 49 Posts