Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
It has been interesting riding the XX drivetrain this past couple of months and combined with the fact that I have been running a double crank (converted triple - 22/32/bash ring) on my other bike for more than a year, makes the double crank a sure bet for me. I predict the death of the mtn triple crank...you may quote me.

But I do not see the doubles offering a low enough gear for the masses, me included. The 26/36 combo is plenty low enough for any fireroad I typically climb and most trails, but when you are toasted and it gets steep and long, I sure would like a 24T CR on that crank.

Even a 36T CR is enough with an 11T rear cog unless you really like to pedal down fast grades. A 32/11 has been OK for me with a lack of top gear every so often, but not enough to care about.

Keep the big gears for the racer boy XTR and XX but begin to trickle down the lower gear ratios into the lesser level stuff....XT and XO maybe, but for sure X9 and SLX.

Heck, I would have been happier with a 9spd 12-36 XT or XO/X9 level cassette and a 22/34 or 24/36 double. Oh....and puhleeeeeze give me 180mm options.

Hmmmm. Although this new stuff is high performing stuff, shifts amazing, etc. it actually gives us less choice in options - crank arm length, BB spindle length, CR size options. Brave new world, indeed.

I will crawl back in my grouchy box now.

·
CHOP!
243 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Looks like 2 X 10 XTR...
Fvucking followers man...

SRAM has been whooping Shimano's ass over the past couple years with innovations.

Cool to see X.O in 10spd though.

I'd take the awesome shift of a 2x10 system over a 3x10 system any day! :thumbsup:

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
WTF do we need 10 speed in mountain biking for...really?

I'm not trying to be a retro-grouch here but the ONLY thing 9 speed accomplished was chains that wear our faster and break easier. Now 10 speed is just going to make that worse, and before you say "it's race groups only"...we all know where this is going to lead! We'll see 10 speed in lower groups by 2012.

Sorry, but this is not needed...I'll join mtroy in his grumpy box now

·
Formerly of Kent
12,925 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
WTF do we need 10 speed in mountain biking for...really?

I'm not trying to be a retro-grouch here but the ONLY thing 9 speed accomplished was chains that wear our faster and break easier. Now 10 speed is just going to make that worse, and before you say "it's race groups only"...we all know where this is going to lead! We'll see 10 speed in lower groups by 2012.

Sorry, but this is not needed...I'll join mtroy in his grumpy box now
Apparently you missed it:

XTR, XT and SLX will all be 10s for 2011.

:D

·
Registered
995 Posts
MartinsMental said:
Fvucking followers man...

SRAM has been whooping Shimano's ass over the past couple years with innovations.

Cool to see X.O in 10spd though.

I'd take the awesome shift of a 2x10 system over a 3x10 system any day! :thumbsup:
innovations? sorry but what innovations? 10sp? pretty sure that was Campy. 2x cranks? FSA had a 2x9 crank a few years earlier, so did a few others. 1:1, ok I guess that's an innovation, but shimano didn't follow that.

Not dissing Sram, I currently run a sram rear derailleur and shifter, with shimano cassette and crank arms.

Shimano and Sram both work fine.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Ritchey had a double chainring crankset with a big ass cassette over ten years ago. Maybe 15 years ago.

edit: 1997!

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
Super...1999 all over again, we'll have to start hording high end 9 speed product:madmax:
Funny...I thought the same thing: from my blog entry http://vintageone.blogspot.com/2010/01/double-or-nothing.html

"I don't think we have any choice. 9 speed will become the new 8 speed eventually and guys will be hoarding XT 9 speed cassettes and shifters and bragging about it on the 'Classic/Vintage' forums."

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
limba said:
Ritchey had a double chainring crankset with a big ass cassette over ten years ago. Maybe 15 years ago.

edit: 1997!
Yep, with a custom 33t cog and SACHS twist shifter. Used the 8 speed spacing so you had to use a offset spoke bed rear rim so your dérailleur wouldn't hit the spokes.

·
Registered
362 Posts
don't forget canondale

they had their 2 by 9 29/44 coda rings way back too....I used a few of them in the day...FRM also.. so if we motrals are using 2 by 9, pros use 1 by 10...whats next...?
I agree give me 180mm length cranks 1st ..FSA, Sram are you listening.....otherwise it's middleburn (g8 chain ring choices) or shimano with custom rings....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts