Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turner DW DHR Build

This is a build I've been working on for a while. I usually build functional but quality DH bikes, but this year I decided to build something a little over the top. This build actually started at the 2010 Interbike Tradeshow with an amazing test ride on the 2011 Turner DHR. I rode a few trails that I am very familiar with and have raced a number of times each. Over the years I've tested at least 20 to 30 different DH bikes on these same trails. To date the 2011 DHR was the most amazing bike I have ridden on those trails.

Two things impressed me most about this bike:
1. First, was how well it carried speed through hard square edge impacts. The kind of impacts that slow most bikes down a lot and often lead to flat tires. The 2011 DHR handles these better than any DH bike I've ever ridden before.
2. Second, was its ability to follow the fall-line of the trail. So many other bikes require going around certain obstacles on these trails, but the DHR was perfectly happy to just go over them allowing me to take the straightest line possible.​

How about a pic:

So, on to the build...
Frame: 2011 Turner DHR - Black Ano, Medium
Shock: X-Fusion Vector HLR - 9.5 x 3.0
Spring: RCS Ti - 350 x 3.0
Fork: 2011 Rock Shox Boxxer World Cup
Headset: Cane Creek AngleSet - .5 degree steeper cup = .8 degrees actual due to the small Head Tube
Bars: ENVE Carbon DH - cut to 30"
Stem: Sunline Direct Mount - 50mm
Grips: LizardSkins Peaty - gold Go-Ride.com clamps
Brakes: Shimano XTR Trail - 180mm rotors
Saddle: Tioga Spyder BMX
Cranks: Shimano Saint - 83mm x 165mm
Guide: E13 - LG1
Ring: E13 Guide Ring - 36T
Pedals: Shimano XTR Trail
Shifter: Shimano Saint - 9spd
Derailleur: Shimano Saint - SS cage
Chain: Shimano XTRCassette: Shimano Ultegra 11-25
Hubs: Hope Pro II - 20mm Front / 12x150mm Rear
Rims: DT Swiss FR600
Spokes: DT Swiss Competition - Black
Tires: Maxxis Highroller DH 3C
Tubes: generic mid-weight 2.5
Bling:
1. About 50 Ti bolts including shock bolts
2. Go-ride FFB (Factory Frame Bumpers) for fork to frame protection
3. Go-ride FFP (Factory Frame Protector) on drive side chain & seat stays​

Weight: 36.8 lbs

Future Plans:
1. That's the wheelset off last year's bike. I plan on building a set with NoTubes Flow Rims for race day - .6 lb savings
2. May run ESI silicone grips after I get my bar width dialed in - 2oz savings
3. Will run Maxxis Minion DHF EXO 3C tires at select events - 1.75 lbs savings4. I will be testing a few additional shocks on this ride: Cane Creek Double Barrel, Elka Stage 5, and Fox RC4. These are all out of the GO-RIDE Demo Program.​

More pics:

Enve bars, Cane Creek AngleSet, XTR Trail brakes, and the worlds most uncomfortable seat :D

X-Fusion Vector, Ti spring & shock bolts, E13 guide, Saint cranks, XTR Trail pedals, just under the seat stay is some Go-Ride FFP frame protection

Saint SS derailleur, Ultegra 11-25 cassette, Shimano 2-piece 180mm rotors

Ti rotor & brake bolts, Aluminum heatsink brake pads...crazy

Full view of the non-drive size. What, no close up of the linkage? I'll work on it.

More Ti bolts and XTR Trail bling

That's all for now...comments welcome

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fixbikeguy said:
Where can I get the Go-ride FFB (Factory Frame Bumpers) for fork to frame protection?
I looked on the site, but couldn't find them there.
Thanks!
We mostly use them on DH bike builds. Give us a call or send an email to [email protected] and we'll get you out some. The FFP tape is super cool. It's a heavy duty rubber tape (about 1/8" thick) that is very moldable, durable and quite.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Amazing build!

Making me wish I bought my frame from you guys instead of going local. Been waiting on my Black medium about a month now.

What are you running for Ti bolts and where did you get them? Those factory frame bumpers are also pretty sweet, are those available at go-ride?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
charvey9 said:
Amazing build!

Making me wish I bought my frame from you guys instead of going local. Been waiting on my Black medium about a month now.

What are you running for Ti bolts and where did you get them? Those factory frame bumpers are also pretty sweet, are those available at go-ride?
Maybe we can help you with a frame next time. For now we do have amazing deals on build kits. We have a lot of options to choose from. Best way is to send us an email with the type of build you want and we'll reply with recommended components.

We do sell both the fram bumpers and rubberized chainstay tape. They aren't listed on our site as we mostly install them on bikes we build, but if you contact [email protected] we will get them out to you.

The Ti bolt list is long:
Stem = 8 bolts
Fork = 7 bolts
Shock hardware = 2
Cable guides = 2
Brake mounts = 4
Brake rotors = 12
Brake levers = 2
Shifter mount = 1
Thomson Post = 2 + barrels (not installed yet)
Derailleur = 3
Seat Collar = 1
Headset = 1 aluminum
Washers = 12

We are working on having somewhat reasonably priced kits for things like rotors, forks, & brakes. We'll post something soon.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gollub01 said:
Nice job Scott....Looking forward to the GO-ride series !
We're not having as many races this year, but the Super Ds will all be good courses, so there's the chance to race twice each event.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Iceman2058 said:
Very nice! Be interested to hear the feedback on the shock, not read many proper reviews of it.

Also, curious about the choice of brakes...was this about weight savings?
Both Krispy and I tested an X-Fusion coil on our Reign X bikes last summer and it was very impressive from a DH point of view. Super plush, but still great bottoming control. I'm really looking forward to running it, but of course it's snowing again in SLC, UT. Kris is running one this weeking in Bootleg for the NV state champs. He's racing a Giant Reign (modified to 170mm) with an X-Fusion coil shock and 170mm X-Fusion fork. So far he got 3rd in Cat 1 in the Super D on that bike and will be running the same bike for DH today.

The brakes are somewhat about weight savings, but they are also CRAZY POWERFUL. The last two seasons I've run Avid Elixir CRs and 185 rotors with no problems, and the XTR Trails have a lot more power. I'll find out if they can take the heat soon.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tree said:
Whats the weight savings with the Ti hardware compared to the stock hardware?
And what would you estimate the cost is for it?
Ti hardware weight savings was about 120 grams and came out to about $2 per gram, which is cheaper than good Ti springs. Certainly not necessary, but should be totally functional.

This bike is kind of a show piece for the shop, but will be ridden just as hard as any other DH bike I've had in the past. Everything is still very functional. I could have gone lighter with cranks, shifter, derailleur, post, grips, rims and spokes.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.