Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I had given this to my son-in-law while he and my daughter were here (they live abroad) to ride and got it back today. I am trying to figure out what to do with it.

It was actually a decent bike in its day, but is of course completely overshadowed by current bicycle design.

I know the rear drop out's are notorious for being bad and loosening up, but I never had any trouble with that. The original Juicy brakes were horrible and I swapped them some years back for Avid BB7's.

I have not ridden an SS in quite a while.

So I thought I would post this hear and get your opinions on what to do with her.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, as I was looking it over again a bit yesterday after it being gone for a year I remembered some of the things I really liked about it. First and foremost I love simplicity, and it is bone simple.

I also had to laugh as I had posted another thread about cutting down the 810mm bars on my Stache. The bars on this rig have to be sub 700. They are soooo narrow. Now I realize why I always felt like it was “twitchy”. LOL

·
Rippin da fAt
11,899 Posts
Serious fun with a SS bike will happen and a bar can be had cheap at many LBS's as takeoffs are sometimes a great find. Simplicity of the bike adds to the ride as there is more rider input that needs to be part of the experience.

·
Combat Wombat
1,883 Posts
Do you have any local trails where the slacker modern geo does not offer any real advantages and a fast handling, i.e twitchy, bike can be an asset? My favorite local trails benefit from modern geo, but there is a relatively flat, tight and twisty trail about 2 miles from where I work and while not my favorite trail, it does offer a convenient place to get in a couple hours of riding before going to work.

I have a 2008 Vassago Jabberwocky that I rode for 9 years before finding a small crack in the headtube gusset. A local frame builder told me he could he could repair it, but at the time it was my only bike and I was looking for something I could quickly swap parts and keep riding. That frame has been hanging in the garage ever since. Lately I have been thinking real hard about taking him up on that offer and building the Jabber back up. Long chainstays and a steep headtube angle, but it would be fun on that local trail. Hell, for that matter I bet it would still be a blast on several local trails.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Your old SS Trek is more than a decade newer than mine (LVcT7gW.jpg). There's not much I can't ride that my buddies on squishy 29ers can. I stopped caring as much about being the fastest idiot on the hill, and started enjoying the simplicity of the machine, and unique challenge that it demands. As my brute-strength fitness grows, it gets more and more enjoyable. The original cockpit was the trend of XC racing of the time - long and narrow (135mm stem/500mm-ish bar). When I first put this bike together as a singlespeed I went with a 100/630 setup. It's now 80/720, and I'm pretty happy with the setup.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the original 760 bar off of my Stache that I think I will swap onto the Rig. I need to see if I have a shorter stem. It has a pretty long stem on it as well, which narrow bars and long stems were the thing back then.

I think i will do that and upgrade the tires and see how I like it. The thing about your comment around brute strength is what I have always said about the SS - “it makes you work for it”

The reality is that its resale value is not worth it to me to get rid of right now. That will give me the Stache for trail riding, the Ogre for touring/bikepacking/gravel and the Rig for SS toughing it out.

I need to do some research and see if there is an easy fix for the rear drop out. Again, I have not had any issue with mine so far Coming lose, but I am a big guy and I can see if I use it a lot that happening, so an ounce of prevention might be warranted.

·
Rippin da fAt
11,899 Posts
I have the original 760 bar off of my Stache that I think I will swap onto the Rig. I need to see if I have a shorter stem. It has a pretty long stem on it as well, which narrow bars and long stems were the thing back then.

I think i will do that and upgrade the tires and see how I like it. The thing about your comment around brute strength is what I have always said about the SS - "it makes you work for it"

The reality is that its resale value is not worth it to me to get rid of right now. That will give me the Stache for trail riding, the Ogre for touring/bikepacking/gravel and the Rig for SS toughing it out.

I need to do some research and see if there is an easy fix for the rear drop out. Again, I have not had any issue with mine so far Coming lose, but I am a big guy and I can see if I use it a lot that happening, so an ounce of prevention might be warranted.
Singlespeed makes you strong fast.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try a dropbar setup for light trail / gravel? The Surly Corner bar will let you keep your brakes though you'll probably want to switch to a short high angle stem, like a 60-70mm 30 deg. Inspiration: Facebook: Drop Bars & Knobby Tires Group
Interesting, I have not thought about drop bars and I have been curious about that Cornor bar. Definitely will take that into consideration.

·
Rippin da fAt
11,899 Posts
Try a dropbar setup for light trail / gravel? The Surly Corner bar will let you keep your brakes though you'll probably want to switch to a short high angle stem, like a 60-70mm 30 deg. Inspiration: Facebook: Drop Bars & Knobby Tires Group
But the chiropractor bills that are necessary with drops... Used to have the WTB's back in the day and loved em when my spine would tolerate that position. Aging and scoliosis are taking their toll, unfortuantely.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually the Surly Corner bars are really interesting to me. I absolutely love the Moloko bar on my Ogre. Those are not as drastic as drop bars and will work with my controls. I think I am going to give them a try. Build a dedicated gravel SS out of it.

Thanks guys, great input.

·
Rippin da fAt
11,899 Posts
Actually the Surly Corner bars are really interesting to me. I absolutely love the Moloko bar on my Ogre. Those are not as drastic as drop bars and will work with my controls. I think I am going to give them a try. Build a dedicated gravel SS out of it.

Thanks guys, great input.
Now you're cookin'! Pedal like ya stole it or is it, treat it like a rental?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yus and no! I love having a classic for the community ride group thing. Perhaps this bloke can get some good miles playing with various configurations.
This bloke can. I am a tinker by heart. I typically have a motorcycle torn apart in the garage. But in recent years I have been turning my focus to bicycles to get more exercise.

That and as I noted, being out of work really limits what I can do. Hopefully a job will open up for me in the next few months, well before the holidays kick in at least.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.