Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently picked up a 2011 Trek Paragon frame and I'm having some issues figuring out what cranksets/bb will work with this frame. I've done a little research and it looks like the BB shell is BB86 and it looks like there is a SRAM GXP BB that'll work (pardon if I'm confusing any of these terms, I'm new to the mtn bike component world). I found a thread on here where someone did a truvativ crankset (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=655788) on this frame, but what other cranksets are compatible? I was browsing SRAMs site but it sounds like a lot of their cranksets are BB30/PF30.

Additional info; I'm setting this bike up with a 1x10, the rest of the drivetrain will be SRAM. I was originally interested in the e-thirteen xc crankset but unfortunately it's not compatible.

Any assistance would be great. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
You will need to pick up either a sram or shimano pressfit bottom bracket from your Trek dealer. Then, you can use any external crankset...

·
Registered
15 Posts
klei2fast said:
You will need to pick up either a sram or shimano pressfit bottom bracket from your Trek dealer. Then, you can use any external crankset...
This is correct. I run XO 2X10 on my 2011 Paragon. Just contact your Trek dealer.

·
Registered
762 Posts
jeremyhcd said:
Thanks a bunch guys!

I was doing a bit more research last night. Would this work or do I need to actually get something specific from Trek?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-TRUVATIV-G...ps=63&clkid=7651473936903155214#ht_500wt_1156
Hi Jeremy, I'm 99% confident that ceramic BB you found should fit OK.

Having said that, I'd want some convincing about its value-for-money. Agreed, it's fitted with ceramic bearings, which should spin forever. BUT equally, so do ABEC 5 bearings which makes 'em better value in my book. Have a chat to EnduroForkSeals if you're interested. Just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
jeremyhcd said:
Hi hoots, thanks for info. It doesn't have to be ceramic, there's a steel/sealed bearing version of it as well. UC has both of them. Honestly, I'd probably fire on the steel version. I don't know weather the ceramic version would be worth an extra $150.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=26750&category=3369
Nice work; either of those BB86 BBs you found on the UC website will do the trick.
Regarding steel vs ceramic bearings; I actually have a well-used Enduro ceramic BB in my shed, and I gotta say it's lightweight, robust, well-sealed, and spin freely. But it's just hard to justify the $150 price-premium, for me at least.

·
Interested
2 Posts
I'm doing the same 2011 Paragon Frame Build, but I'm going to SRAM X.9 components. I see the bike came with a Shimano style "press fit" BB . I am looking for what is compatible to mine as well.
I posted in your thread rather than starting a new one because from what I see, The BB86 seems to be for a road bike. Does that make a difference? My TREK dealer wants me to "Bring it In" but my bike is in mid build and that's not an option. The store I bought from said I need a BB95 from the TREK dealer. Does anyone know or should I buy the BB86 that you bought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts