Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
jimmyboy said:
... If you have not had a chance to ride parts of the WS100 trail from Robinson Flat to Foresthill, Ca
GBE had a free buss ride this year open to about 55 riders on the upper WS 100 trail system. I think only we had 33 show up.
They would be able to tell you what you would be up against on this Epic 100 race.
I was on this little adventure and in a word,,, knarly. It was a blast though, very cool riding on trails that 99% of the folks out there will never see. Lot of hike a bike coming out of the canyons, killer descents, amazing views,, it was an epic day. Brought back a lot of memories of doing the Tevis back in the mid 80's.
Jimmy pulling this off is a miracle,, this trail has been owned by runners and horse folks forever and it was a major coup to get this event approved. If you do it, you better bring your AA++ game,, but what a feeling to finish this. Just like the motto for the folks that do the Tevis,, "To finish is to win". :thumbsup:

·
more skier than biker
2,428 Posts
I wasn't planning on much endurance racing this year. But count me in for this one!

FYI -- to all you nutballs on rigid singlespeeds contemplating this one: I rode my full rigid singlespeed in the underground "pre-ride" of this last year and it was a mistake.....I finished in a respectable time but jesus christ did I ever get trashed. Front suspension (at the least!) to rail all those canyon descents and most likely gears for me for this one for next year. Even with a 32-20 (on a light 17 lbs carbon 29'er), I still never hoofed it up so many climbs in my life. I'll be a few gears for this one for sure....or if I SS again, prolly something like a 32-22 (and I'd still have to walk a ton....)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
jimmyboy said:
As long as you have already did a race that has your name on the race results page in 2010 or 2011. On the GBE web site on Jan 1st it will explain what needs to happen.
Again, any solo racer that finished the 2010 Tahoe Sierra 100 can be used as a qualifier, not the Tahoe Sierra 50 miler.
Any MTB 8hr race ( 6 laps or more) any 100 MTB Ultra race, any MTB 24hr race (12 laps or more), any 24hr adventure race( solo or team must have finished the race under the 24hr cut off) all within the 2010 or 2011 year that means you have done a race that can be used as a qualifier.
There must be race results for proof. Have results before you sign up. The first 200 that have the right results get in.
I have been getting e-mails about why is it that the Western States or Leadville100 ultra trail runs or any other ultra trail run can not be used as a qualifier? Well just think about it, you may have the lung power but you have no idea how to handle a MTB race of this magnitude and really need to have good bike handling skills and know how to read the trail while speeding downhill at 35 MPH. Not the same as trail running or road riding.
First off the WS100 does not let any 100 or 24 hour MTB races to be used as a qualifier for there ultra runs and there is good reason for that.
The same reason Ironman has there own qualifiers also. I only say this as I have had a little experience at all of them ( never any good at, but I have done them)
I think you have a good idea what this 100 miler is all about. I find that out of all the endurance sports that I have been involved in over the last 30 years that MTB riders have the best outlook on life and fully enjoy what there doing.
Here are a few races to used for a qualifier. Bikemonkeys 8 hrs of Boggs in April. The Coolest 8 & 24hr race June 18-19, the Boggs 8 & 24hr race July 16-17 or Cream Puff 100 in Oregon July. Breck Epic 100 Colorado, July 16th
I think there may be another in Sol-Cal area also. I think its a 12 hr race. Bigfoot Vic may have one before our race date, but I don't know what his dates are just yet.
Hope that helps.
Thisis good news - no longer head-to-head with Vapor Trail 125. Note though that the Breck Epic and Breck 100 are different races - I think you are referring to the Breck 100. You might want to consider Pierre's Hole 100 as another qualifier. I've done Breck 100 5 times and thought the PH100 was just as tough..

You just picqued my interest! Awesome. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sean Allan said:
It has to have been in 2010 or 2011.

Not to be harsh, but just because someone was in shape 2 or 3 years ago doesn't mean they are now. I know that just because you were fit this year has no bearing on next year as well, but you've got to draw the line somewhere.
It's as much about safety and showing you have the bike handling skills as it is about not getting yourselves in over your head, which means we have to take care of you. There were people dropping in the 50 last year and demanding that we shuttle them 80 miles back to the start/finish area, The drops in the 50 and 100 are by far the biggest pain in the a** this race required. Being unprepared mentally or physically at this race is not a good idea, it will mean a lot of work for you and the staff.

This course will be twice as hard logistically to handle these kind of things, you will be way the hell out there in some places. A 2500' climb just to get to the nearest dirt road which could be 15 miles from the nearest paved road which is 20 miles from anywhere, you get the idea.

You realistically have 5-6 months to get a nice qualifier in, plenty of time to get the training in and look to do this race. Don't sweat it right now, just start getting your stoke on and set your sights on having a great year and including this as part of it.
I hear ya and will probably do a 12 hour race to qualify. 8 hours just isn't enough and will only net about 1/2 the elevation gain. 20k is monsterous and you have to be comfortable sitting on the bike - climbing on dirt - for a looong friggin time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I cant wait! I call this course an adventure ride. You can disappear out in those canyons. Make sure you are prepared to handle whatever it throws at you. Some of the miles are tough, you wont feel short on miles. With an August date there is plenty of time to qualify in your build up.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Sean Allan said:
It has to have been in 2010 or 2011.

Not to be harsh, but just because someone was in shape 2 or 3 years ago doesn't mean they are now. ...... .
Hey was this some subliminal shot at me.... :D

·
Registered
794 Posts
Additional questions Jimmy :)

1) Does getting 7th place in an unsanctioned bike/run duatholon in the canyon qualify me?

2) Will I be able to have a hibachi in my drop bag with a few pounds of raw lamb? its my secret weapon fuel... lightly seared lamb and ez cheeze

3) Will you be able to guarantee that your dog won't ravage my raw lamb leftovers and grease stained Hibachi while it sits in your garage weeks after the race when I failed to claim my drop bag?

4) Will I be able pick up my race number 7 weeks in advance at a yet to be determined location?

thanks for everything you do Jim. Happy Holidays. Calendar reminder set for Jan 1.
Matt

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
chairthruster said:
Additional questions Jimmy :)

1) Does getting 7th place in an unsanctioned bike/run duatholon in the canyon qualify me?

2) Will I be able to have a hibachi in my drop bag with a few pounds of raw lamb? its my secret weapon fuel... lightly seared lamb and ez cheeze

3) Will you be able to guarantee that your dog won't ravage my raw lamb leftovers and grease stained Hibachi while it sits in your garage weeks after the race when I failed to claim my drop bag?

4) Will I be able pick up my race number 7 weeks in advance at a yet to be determined location?

thanks for everything you do Jim. Happy Holidays. Calendar reminder set for Jan 1.
Matt
That's some funny shite there Matt:thumbsup:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yes.

The Tahoe Sierra 100 has more aid stations this year than last year . Which means more food , water, gas for ATV & EMT's , allot more single track, climbing and we are a area that takes allot more man hours to perpare the course.
We also have to pay for NEPA report with the USFS which we didn't have to in the past. We are still a bit cheaper than most 100's on the west coast.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
This event is gonna be crazy....

so I would expect based on the logistics to run it...the fees would have to increase. I'll gladly pay it...it'll be the climax of my 2011 summer (I'll be shouting "Oh Jimmy....Oh Jimmy...you Frrr...somewhere after Deadwood). For anyone on the fence of registering....let me say this.....commit yourself in both body and mind. There's NO bailout at the bottom, halfway, or even 3/4 way out of some of the canyons we (Positive vibes I get in, I am fat and slow NOW!) will be ascending. That said, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, rugged, rugged, rugged.

And up earlier Emptybeer asked about it being called a 100 still....convert it to Kilometers...to address your literal OCD issue. ;o)

Thanks Jimmy...and many others helping this come to life!

·
Registered
465 Posts
20,264ft of climbing!!!

As of today my self and Sean Allan have come up with 20,264ft of climbing and 24,006 ft of decent. Not bad for only 90 miles? I would say that the race will really start at Last Chance ( Old mining town in the middle of no mans land. Mile 68 )
I don't wish to have this posted as the hardest 100 miler in the country, but I can say it will be the hardest 90 miler in the country. I don't want to or is our indent to take any thing away from any of the other 100's across the country. Each 100 MTB endurance race has it own pro's and con's
From all the e-mails so far we have a hand full of racers coming from Canada, South Africa, U.K., Costa Rica( La Ruta De Los Conquistadores). Thanks Roger, see ya at the Coolest 24 at Royal Gorge in June !!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Spots Or Plots

jimmyboy said:
There are only 110 spots left for the Tahoe Sierra 100.:thumbsup:
Is that spots or "plots" Jim? ;)

Realistically, I doubt there be many entries available by the time any of the 2011 qualifying events are run. I'd think if anyone is looking to qualify with an event from this year's race calender, they would do well to enter @ "12 Hours of Temecula" [I hate that place] on the Jan. 22nd. or hope for a transfer later in the year.

Congratulations on putting this one together, you've got a winner.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Not true JMS!!

You need to be a bit more positive about the event. Don't talk if you don't know what your talking about. There is allot of time still. People have Bikemonkeys event in April and 12hrs of Temecula is not that bad and there good people. Always someone that knows it all.:nono:

21 - 40 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.