Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed on the Trek website today that they are having a sale of the 2011 Superfly and it's going for $2499.99. The 2012 Superfly is going for $2839.99.

After making a quick comparison of the two, it seems that the 2011 has better components than the 2012. And the 2012 has the OCLV Mountain carbon compared to the TCT carbon on the 2011...

Soooo.... Is it worth paying the extra $ for the OCLV Mountain carbon and get the inferior components or go for the 2011 Superfly?

·
Registered
627 Posts
This might not answer you question but the frame weights for mine were identical from TCT to OCLV Mtn (3.0 lbs for small, w/ hanger and bottle bolts). Either gives you lifetime warranty so I would lean towards the cheaper 2011. Mine is a 2011 Elite kit on the 2012 frame.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There are like 6 versions of the superfly! the 2012 Aluminum superfly is $1600.... IF you can find a 2011, that is the cheapest route bc its closeout. The OCLV carbon is manufactured differently so honestly its a personal preference

·
Registered
177 Posts
I checked @ the Trek dealership today and they don't have the 2011's on my size (17.5)... Trek only has the 2011's on 19" and bigger...
Your dealer hasn't been truthful or didn't bother trying very hard. Tell them to call their local rep and have him/her call Trek. I ordered a 2011 Superfly this morning from my dealer and it was on the truck from the warehouse by 2:00PM. Size...17.5.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Your dealer hasn't been truthful or didn't bother trying very hard. Tell them to call their local rep and have him/her call Trek. I ordered a 2011 Superfly this morning from my dealer and it was on the truck from the warehouse by 2:00PM. Size...17.5.
There are a good number of 17.5" Superfly hardtails available. None in the elite, but I think you're looking for the base model. I'd suggest taking your business elsewhere.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just came from a trek dealer who has 17.5" bikes in stock. I was looking for last years price on this bike. How good a deal is it? There is one on craiglist locally and the asking price is $2400, and the seller states that is was close to $3500 new. This is the same one I just looked at in the Trek store with X9 components and Avid R brakes. Does anybody know what the price was before this sale?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
2012 Has a redesigned swing arm (new gusseted areas) is what I heard at a shop today? They had a broken 2011 near the lower pivot, waiting for a 2012 swing arm.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The OCLV rides a lot better than last year's monocog carbon. It is a noticeable difference.
I dont get how they would retool and make a different build of a frame and then drop the price?? Something just does not add up! They had to skimp somewhere and its not becuase they went from the X9 to X7 Shifters and FD.

·
Registered
53 Posts
FYI, just got off the phone with Trek Tech and they told me that the frames are the exact same! The Monocoque is the exo skeleton of the carbon lay up process, the OCLV is the way that they form the frame. Its just two in of the same.

·
A plethora of pinatas
1,260 Posts
FYI, just got off the phone with Trek Tech and they told me that the frames are the exact same! The Monocoque is the exo skeleton of the carbon lay up process, the OCLV is the way that they form the frame. Its just two in of the same.
If it was the exact same, why would they call one monocoque carbon and the other OCLV? There HAS to be a difference in the two.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have researched this for about a month and just pulled the trigger on 2 SF AL Pro's here are the bikes I was comparing:

2012 Specialized Epic Comp 29 ALuminium
2011 Trek GF Superfly 100 (carbon)
2012 Trek SF 100 carbon
2012 Trek SF AL Pro Aluminnium

What I found was that last years SF 100 has better components than this yrs entry level carbon....so the GF 2011 SF 100 at $3499 on closeout is better deal then the 2012 carbon

When comparing the 2012 carbon vs Al Pro the AL Pro has the updated rear Fox rear shock (adaptive logic), better wheels, all XT package vs a hodge podge on the carbon, 15mm axle up front, and 142x12 rear axle and the AL Pro is cheaper...

Now when you compare the Epic vs the AL Pro basically the same price range $3400 the Trek has the XT vs X7, X9 groupo on the Epic....

SO I went with the SF 100 AL Pro I have to say between all these bikes I believe the Trek is the best overall package....not to mention I rode both and imho the Trek steering feels lighter and quicker...so I went with the Trek

Full disclosure I am a bit biased to Trek since all my bikes have been Trek, but I honestly was considering the Epic Comp the brain technolgy is very nice and works great...but after the deal I got at my shop on 2 of the AL Pro's could not say NO

Scotty J

·
Always a good day to ride
120 Posts
The OCLV is an upgrade from just the Monocoque frame. The OCLV process allows for less voids in the carbon layup process.

You may or may not be able to notice the difference, but it is an upgrade.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.