Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Stumpy FSR, like it a lot in the trail. I have converted to tubeless and got different front tire for better traction.

I may get an automatic seatpost but not sure at this point. I know the shifting is pretty good with it, but what if I upgraded the drivetrain, where can I see the improvements?

Anything else I should be looking at for upgrading stock components to something better?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
theres always something better, i have the same bike and i bought it because its really just good to go, im not going to waste any money upgrading anything unless it breaks or it doesnt suit the trails i ride, right now i could do with different tires, especially in the front, i dont trust the purgatory on loose over hard pack it washes out way to easily, im thinking of trying a rubber queen in the front

·
mike
123 Posts
I have the same bike and love it. The only upgrade I did was I put some WTB Weirwolf 2.3s on it. Other than that I ride it like I stole it. I will up grade as I break stuff. Specialized has such a good warranty though as I break stuff they keep replacing it for free. I already snapped the seat in half and it was swapped out no questions asked.

·
Bandit 29 FTW!!!
1,164 Posts
If it's all stock then wheels, seatpost, stem and handlebars are not a bad place to start. I'm guessing you have the 2x10 drive train and I wouldn't touch that until it starts to wear out.

The wheels were one of the first things I changed on my 2011 Stumpy and it made a big difference.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My front spoke was replaced due to a bad bike rack that dragged the bike on the road and wrecked it. Since then I got a new spoke and new tire. Absolutely awesome with front setup, and I ended up with colour mismatched rims!

I found the brakes are noisy though with the bike especially when braking a lot going downhill. Not sure if it's normal but it's been like that since new.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Upgrade stem for position comfort, handlebar length/carbon for better control and reduce vibrations, and a Thomson Masterpiece seatpost just because it is that awesome.

If you have the funds, then a new wheelset would do wonders ~$600 could get you a great wheelset.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The stumpys are spec'd very well even the comp models. As others have said...Specialized always skimps in the wheel dept. The hubs and rims themselves are not that bad but where they f**k things up is the spokes. They use cheap dt swiss champion straight gauge spokes which will only hold up under bike path riding or extremely light XC riding with a lightweight smooth rider.

A wheelset upgrade is well worth your money. Everything else on the bike can be ridden for quite some time until you feel the need to upgrade again. When purchasing a new wheel set make sure you look at some options such as I9, King or Hope hubs so you can get the proper conversion kit and still use your 9mm thru axle skewer that came on your bike. It offers stiffness extremely close to that of a 15mm thruaxle.

·
Bandit 29 FTW!!!
1,164 Posts
My front spoke was replaced due to a bad bike rack that dragged the bike on the road and wrecked it. Since then I got a new spoke and new tire. Absolutely awesome with front setup, and I ended up with colour mismatched rims!

I found the brakes are noisy though with the bike especially when braking a lot going downhill. Not sure if it's normal but it's been like that since new.
The guys at my LBS refer to the brake noise at the Avid mating call. The noise goes away every time I clean my bike but then comes right back after a few minutes on the trails.

I plan on changing my brakes out to either Shimano XT or XTR's in the near future.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The guys at my LBS refer to the brake noise at the Avid mating call. The noise goes away every time I clean my bike but then comes right back after a few minutes on the trails.

I plan on changing my brakes out to either Shimano XT or XTR's in the near future.
My Avid's only start making the turkey call when it gets a little wet. I never clean it, but it goes away after a while. I'm probably going to stick with them for another season or two and then swap out out to the Hope Tech M4/X2.

Handlebar, seatpost, and wheelset are my first priority though. And I will probably replace the Triad shock with a RP23 from a Evo eventually.

·
See You At Santos!
298 Posts
My Avid's only start making the turkey call when it gets a little wet. I never clean it, but it goes away after a while. I'm probably going to stick with them for another season or two and then swap out out to the Hope Tech M4/X2.

Handlebar, seatpost, and wheelset are my first priority though. And I will probably replace the Triad shock with a RP23 from a Evo eventually.
I have Juicy 7's on my Stumpy and they never make a peep.

What handlebar/stem are you running on your Stumpy? I also plan to upgrade to the RP23 from the EVO to make the bike even more downhill/drop worthy.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have Juicy 7's on my Stumpy and they never make a peep.

What handlebar/stem are you running on your Stumpy? I also plan to upgrade to the RP23 from the EVO to make the bike even more downhill/drop worthy.
Haven't upgraded the handlebar as of yet, but looking for a carbon riser between 700-735mm wide. The stem I am using is a 70mm Thomson Elite X4, which I will eventually match it with a Thomson Masterpiece setback seatpost.

·
See You At Santos!
298 Posts
Haven't upgraded the handlebar as of yet, but looking for a carbon riser between 700-735mm wide. The stem I am using is a 70mm Thomson Elite X4, which I will eventually match it with a Thomson Masterpiece setback seatpost.
I hear this Masterpiece setback post is supposed to be pretty nice, Ive been toying the idea of a dropper, but seems there are tons of problems with them right now still..I need to upgrade my handlebar/stem, I bought my bike second hand and Im pretty sure it has a 640mm bar with 70mm stem, nothing fancy. Id like to throw some wider bars on to see how they feel and maybe a shorter stem too..

·
Registered
932 Posts
I hear this Masterpiece setback post is supposed to be pretty nice, Ive been toying the idea of a dropper, but seems there are tons of problems with them right now still..I need to upgrade my handlebar/stem, I bought my bike second hand and Im pretty sure it has a 640mm bar with 70mm stem, nothing fancy. Id like to throw some wider bars on to see how they feel and maybe a shorter stem too..
I looked at the droppers as well, but yeah they seemed problematic and it wasn't worth it for the extra weight. The Masterpiece post are a legend because they are just as light as most carbon post, but a LOT more durable and a set-and-forget seat clamp. The factory handlebar on the '11 SJ FSR Comp is a 680mm handlebar. I forgot what the stem length was, but it was over 90mm.

·
See You At Santos!
298 Posts
Thanks! Yeah, a couple people have told me its a longer stem. I bet I could prob make the bike feel much better with a new shorter stem and wider handlebar setup.

I dont know exactly the spokes, but they are DT Swiss Im pretty sure. Chris King hubs, probably one of the most noticeable improvements on the bike, and Im not talking about the noise. :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
there are few things that will make a big difference:
1. throw in a adjustable seat post - It's the best upgrade ever! helps your riding flow and builds more confidence as u can always take the seat down in technical sections but still take it up for climbs - this is the very essence of the trail riding in my opinion.

2. if u dont have a bash gaurd - put one instead of the 3rd chainring.
it gives the very low BB height a good healthy clearence.

3. wide 720-730 mm handlebars - help alot with the control and gives and edge in cornering.

4. if you are heavy or very agressive rider - wheels.. I'm pretty agressive but 73 kg and relativly flow rider - the wheels held for almost 2 year till i sold my 2011 SJ COMP. (waiting for the 2012 model :)
although alot of people did break the spokes pretty fast - its 1.8 mm spokes by DT and aluminium nipples - not the best way to build a wheel.
but u can ride with the weels and when the rear on starts to break, it u happy with the wheels - build the rear one with new 2.0mm spokes (by wheel smith or other quality brand) , steel nipples and your good to go. it's cheaper from changing a wheelset.

hope that helps. GOZAL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.