Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
had my Stumpjumper for several months. couple questions; rumor has the brain has to be serviced once a year because it's nitrogen filled. runs about $180 bucks each time. so I'm thinking of replacing it with a shock with out a brain when the time come.saveing money in the long run....if the above is true. This is annoying because LBS did not advise me on this issue... had I known I would have never purchased the FSR with the brain'''''brainless

thinking of changing stem from 90 to 70mm... I want a more stable feeling on decents also changing out to a wider bar. as is with the 90mm stem set up the bike is a little twitching on decents....dont know why? any help on set up. it's a large frame I'm 5'11

Is the stout hub as stiff as the 15mm thru axle? wish it had a thru axle like all the other bikes in it's catagory. might change lowers...or just slowly turn it into an evo. thought I would keep this bike for a while but the way it's going I might change out to a more agressive bike...seems the more i ride the more i find some faults. I'm 200lbs so I don't know if I would notice a difference with the thru axle?

ultimate goal would be to set up the bike better...

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
In regards to the brain, the shock is supposed to have a small service every 30 hours and a 100hr/annual service. If you do not want to pay for the service's i'd suggest using the shock/brain until it fails(if it ever does) then buy a new shock. You are supposed to service any shock getting rid of the brain will not save you from servicing.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand servicing shocks...but the brain just adds more $$$$ and it has to go back to Specialized + the LBS fee it adds up. not to mention how long I won't have the bike to ride. whatever, like you said I will ride it till it fails...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts