Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going for the 2010 stumpjumper expert and lucky me it was sold by the sister shop before they could get it shipped over...

Here in Cyprus and Greece they dont have any more in stock which means i should wait for the 2011 model but the shop tells me that the EU model that has a brain will start from the carbon bikes which are out of my budget. Is it worth the brain of should i go for the expert evo?

The use is for mountain trails, some downhill and some asphalt roads in between trails.

BTW the info on this forum is amazing!!! Hi to all on my 1st post! Im usually on motorbike forums.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Takis said:
the shop tells me that the EU model that has a brain will start from the carbon bikes which are out of my budget.
I heard it would be $3,800 here in US (http://twentynineinches.com/2010/07/20/specialized-press-camp-report-3-stumpjumper-fsr-29er/). $500 more than last year. The Command Post is probably a part of the cost increase. But I think Reba Shocks are cheaper than Fox, so I would think it would offset the command post some. Other than that, I guess the new 2x10 stuff is more expensive, but you'd think since it's become OEM that it wouldn't be more expensive than last year's 3x9.

EDIT: I sometimes forget 26ers still exist... this post is in regards to the 29er.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Hi Takis and welcome. I would not own my SJ FSR without a Brain, the Brain makes the bike. Without a brain I would be riding a DW link bike. I am in the US and that raises prices considerably for me, so for you I would think it is too much. There should be an aluminum bike with the Brain if you wait a month or two...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the replies.

I would think being in the US would mean prices are better. You even have more models... Here the price jump is more than 500 euros (600 dollars) to the expert evo and its without the brain...
But i think the 2x10 would be better but its not that much of a difference as being brainless :)

Might just go and get an epic elite they have in stock here with a brain and maybe change the fork in a few months. 100mm of travel in rough terrain wont cut it.

Why is it when you want to buy something its either the size u cant find or the new model is coming out in a few months. That and you always manage to convince urself that u have to go over ur budget...

What do you think about the orbea x10 ??? Slightly over budget :p

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
Hello Takis,
I think they must have made a mistake since the lowest SJ FSR WITH a Brain is the Alloy-framed ELITE which will be coming to Greece and Cyprus. The EVO Expert will also be coming but it is a fairly different beast as it is more All Mountian oriented. The Elite also has a 2 X 10 setup with Sram cranks and Shimano SLX/XT gearing.
It is true that there are no 2010 left so it will have to be the 2011. I would wait if I were you since the Epic is a much different bike. In my opinion the SJ is probably the most aropriate bike for 90% of the riding found in Cyprus and Greece.
Send me a Personal Message and I will gladly answer any more question you have and try to help you sort one out
 

·
Steel is real.
Joined
·
1,268 Posts
I just got back from a holiday in Cyprus with some riding mixed in. All I can say is mind blowing. It was awesome. The entire holiday was a riot. Here's some video of one of my rides.

<p><a href="http://vimeo.com/13518756">Mountain Biking The Troodos Mountains In Cyprus</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1858986">Steve Arseneault</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Brain

HSMITH said:
Hi Takis and welcome. I would not own my SJ FSR without a Brain, the Brain makes the bike. Without a brain I would be riding a DW link bike. I am in the US and that raises prices considerably for me, so for you I would think it is too much. There should be an aluminum bike with the Brain if you wait a month or two...
The brain makes the bike. I don't agree. I have a 2010 fsr comp no brain and its a great ride. Its very easy to set the rear shock up. It's a snap to switch the selector while riding. Full active, locked out, and pro pedal (selected most of the time.) .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Frogeye, I rode 26'ers with brain and no brain, with no brain I didn't feel that they were an improvement over my old bike by much. With the brain I felt that it was a huge step forward. Small bump compliance and low speed bump compliance while still having great pedaling is what I noticed most. Without the brain ProPedal makes the bike pedal quite nicely but at low speed or on small bumps the suspension hit isn't hard enough to break through the platform. With the brain it easily breaks through the platform yet it pedals great all the time. Amazing how well it works, I would never have believed it until I rode it and saw for myself. I bought a SJ FSR 29 Expert and it is awesome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
fair enough

HSMITH said:
Frogeye, I rode 26'ers with brain and no brain, with no brain I didn't feel that they were an improvement over my old bike by much. With the brain I felt that it was a huge step forward. Small bump compliance and low speed bump compliance while still having great pedaling is what I noticed most. Without the brain ProPedal makes the bike pedal quite nicely but at low speed or on small bumps the suspension hit isn't hard enough to break through the platform. With the brain it easily breaks through the platform yet it pedals great all the time. Amazing how well it works, I would never have believed it until I rode it and saw for myself. I bought a SJ FSR 29 Expert and it is awesome.
I guess I'll have to ride one with a brain to understand. Like the OP the cost for the FSR with the brain was out of my budget so I settled on the comp and I do love it for my riding.

Are there anymore problems with the brains failing? lol sounds funny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Frogeye said:
I guess I'll have to ride one with a brain to understand. Like the OP the cost for the FSR with the brain was out of my budget so I settled on the comp and I do love it for my riding.

Are there anymore problems with the brains failing? lol sounds funny.
I have a SJ 29er Expert. The Brain is awesome. I haven't seen any failure reports lately. Budgets are what they are, but I'm so glad I went over mine to get the Brained bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
The only de-brained SJ item I realllllly like is this year's E-140 fork. It rides so much better with the spike valve. None of the annoying clunk of the brain. That said, it DOES give rider less reason to splash out on this expensive fork. A well tuned Float works just as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Zendog, u seem to know whats happening in this region, r u from around here? I hope the elite has a brain... GueSs i should be patient

Ska, nice vid dude!!! Ive done the trail round troodos' north face ski slope, its nice and level for most of the ride. Let me know next time u come to cyprus, u have to see some wild trails!!!! I do mostly enduro mcycle riding and know of some wow places!

Pdumas, i was already over budget with the 2010 expert, damn hobbies, damn addictions :))))
 

·
Trail Rider
Joined
·
1,303 Posts
I think that with Fox manufacturing the brains (and the redesign by Fox) has solved any brain problems.

I have the '10 Expert FSR and the brain is indeed great.
 

·
Mulleticious
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Brain

My brain stopped working about 3 months ago. No matter how I set it, the shock was always fully active. Eventually got sick of this - not why I spent £2850 (about $4400) on a bike! So I took the shock and Brain off and dropped into my LBS this morning. The cost estimate is for £100 ($158) to fix it and service it and the shock :eekster:

Great vid Ska! Excellent. That's the GoPro wide with several different mounts??
 

·
Steel is real.
Joined
·
1,268 Posts
spencerfrater1 said:
.........Great vid Ska! Excellent. That's the GoPro wide with several different mounts??
Right on, thanks! Yeah it's the GoPro Wide. I'm getting kind of disappointed in the video quality now that I've worked with it for a while so I think I'll be moving to the HD version soon and changing editing software. I have a ton of ideas but can't make them happen with what I currently have so...... I'm still very new to this video thing though :thumbsup:

Still, it's not too bad considering the price really.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Funny. I ride in the DH-AM part of the spectrum and happened to demo a SJ with a brain a few months ago. I thought it was worst riding bike I every rode. I absolutely hated the brain. It just goes to show how much the sport has segmented. At least the manufacturers are offering enough products to please everyone these days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Takis said:
Was going for the 2010 stumpjumper expert and lucky me it was sold by the sister shop before they could get it shipped over...

Here in Cyprus and Greece they dont have any more in stock which means i should wait for the 2011 model but the shop tells me that the EU model that has a brain will start from the carbon bikes which are out of my budget. Is it worth the brain of should i go for the expert evo?

The use is for mountain trails, some downhill and some asphalt roads in between trails.

BTW the info on this forum is amazing!!! Hi to all on my 1st post! Im usually on motorbike forums.
Apparently, there will be a 2011 Stumpjumper (26') Elite with brain going for 2.899 euros in Europe:
http://www.sbrstore.com/index.php?option=com_joomgallery&func=detail&id=667&Itemid=151

Have to like the colours though. I am waiting to see what the proposed colours will be :)
 

·
Mulleticious
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
MDJ said:
Funny. I ride in the DH-AM part of the spectrum and happened to demo a SJ with a brain a few months ago. I thought it was worst riding bike I every rode. I absolutely hated the brain. It just goes to show how much the sport has segmented. At least the manufacturers are offering enough products to please everyone these days.
I hear what you're saying, but what if you like doing something of everything like me - you need about 5 bikes! For this, I have found the SJ the best compromise so far, but don't know whether I would want the brain again due to servicing costs. :skep:
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top