Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Got The Life
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a couple of threads with this bike in the topic line but not much actual review or opinion.

Anyone riding one of these ? The aluminum version.

How's it ride ? Do you notice a lower bb or have more pedal strikes ? Got any pics ?

Looking for info on the Aluminum Hardtail !

·
Registered
183 Posts
Major Glory said:
I've seen a couple of threads with this bike in the topic line but not much actual review or opinion.

Anyone riding one of these ? The aluminum version.

How's it ride ? Do you notice a lower bb or have more pedal strikes ? Got any pics ?

May be good to narrow down what your looking for. Comp hardtail, fsr or 29'er fsr. I've had the 29er fsr for a weekend long demo and it was on point!!! Very tough and fun to jump with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just picked mine up the other day. I think this bike is underrated or flies under the radar of those looking for 29ers.

I'm a recreational rider. I have a FS Cannondale from 1993 which I rode a lot before kids. I live near some very good single track and decided to get back into riding again. The Cannondale is still fun but I wanted to check out the latest technology. I went from the Epic Comp to the Camber and then the EVO 29er HT. The LBS did not have the EVO in stock so I was sizing a SJ Comp 29er 17" and it felt too big. I'm 5'7". I tried this one, 17.5" and it just felt right. I've tried the 29 and can understand the advantages but didn't think it would be that big of deal as a recreational rider.

This bike is light and rides fast. I climb ten times better than my other bike and I don't have to worry about rear bob. Down hill is not as fast but only slightly. I'm assuming pedal strikes are when you hit your pedals on rocks? So far, I haven't tried a trail with a lot of rocks big enough to matter.

Bottom line: Great bike and surprised not many have noticed. I think it's not a 29er which everyone wants these days. I'm also glad it has 3 rings. I used just about every gear the other day. Going riding this weekend.

Attachments

·
Got The Life
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice bikes, all. I was actually looking for info on the 29er SJ Comp Alum. That silver/black/red model is nice looking.
Do you notice the lower BB ? I'm on a Trek 8500 myself right now. Great bike but looking to go 29er hardtail in the new future.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Major Glory said:
Nice bikes, all. I was actually looking for info on the 29er SJ Comp Alum. That silver/black/red model is nice looking.
Do you notice the lower BB ? I'm on a Trek 8500 myself right now. Great bike but looking to go 29er hardtail in the new future.
I don't notice it at all.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've got the same bike as prcharlie and I love it. I've had it about 8 weeks now and have really enjoyed it. I haven't been on a hardtail since the late 90s and never rode a 29er. It's really been fun. Stable, handles well, enjoys the singletrack. I haven't had issues with the bb (I do have issues with my FSR so I'm pretty "aware" of pedal strokes). I made a 2x10 out of it and modified a few things but really love it. I hope to shave off some weight, too (26.5 pounds or so).

Anyway, I'm really happy with it!

·
I want to ride
149 Posts
I rode the 2010 comp 29er hardtail last year and absolutly had a great time on that bike. It was my second 29er hardtail and certainly not my last. I'd highly recommend, you pick one up.

·
Got The Life
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got the same bike as prcharlie and I love it. I've had it about 8 weeks now and have really enjoyed it. I haven't been on a hardtail since the late 90s and never rode a 29er. It's really been fun. Stable, handles well, enjoys the singletrack. I haven't had issues with the bb (I do have issues with my FSR so I'm pretty "aware" of pedal strokes). I made a 2x10 out of it and modified a few things but really love it. I hope to shave off some weight, too (26.5 pounds or so).

Anyway, I'm really happy with it!

Springs - What mods did you make ? What gearing did you go with on the 2x10 ? I've never owned a 29er either and I wonder if I can really push a 2x10. Also, do you think the wheels are where the weight is on this bike ? Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had the LBS trade out the cranks for the SRAM X.7 2x10 cranks. I can't recall which chainring sizes I got, however. Went to foam grips. Tires are SWorks Purgatory up front and SWorks Captain in the rear.

I suspect the wheels carry a lot of the weight but I'm not certain. I can't afford new wheels so I'm afraid to look! I can sometimes do piecemeal upgrades so that's my current focus. The guy at the shop (whom I trust a lot) suggested the seatpost and the bars could be replaced for weight (interesting that he did not suggest the stem). I don't have any evidence, though.

I was pretty concerned with being able to push the gearing. The cassette is the stock one (another place to save big weight, I think). Anyway, I'm in Colorado Springs and so far I've ridden all my normal trails and had zero problems climbing. I am not too extreme but am now pretty confident that my climbing won't be hindered by the gears.

After riding my 3x10-equipped FSR this weekend, I realized that I was changing gears on it a lot but that my time was spent in the middle ranges, just like on the SJ. I won't switch the FSR to 2x10 but now I understand how many gears are on that bike that I will rarely use.

If anyone else can give specific weight info/advice for this particular bike, I'd be as interested as MajorGlory in hearing the suggestions.

It's really been a fun bike and I'm very glad I got it.

EDIT: not sure how to link it, but you can check out the pinned thread for Showing Off Your Specialized - post number 1320 for pics

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The stumpy M5 hardtail 29er frame is on my short list of next bike along with a niner EMD and an Orbea Alma (non-carbon).
I'm going to get into some local races for the first time this year and it'll be my race bike until my skill level gets high enough and my weight gets low enough to justify a race specific lightweight frame.
Its plenty rigid, with the short chainstays it climbs awesome, and the weight is in line with other frames in its category.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just got my black/lime 2011 Stumpy Comp 29er yesterday. I got sold on 29ers after a buddy picked up a non current Gary Fisher. I am 57 and don't ride near as aggressively as I used to. I see this bike as a combo between decent weight and wide gearing and good handling. My other bike is a custom build CDale with XT and RS SID that is now 10 years old. In between I tried a couple of FSR bikes.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Stoney22 said:
I picked this one up two months ago and am loving it. Can't wait to test it at the Boggs 8hr race next month.

My Blur LT2 is getting jealous though...
That is BEAUTIFUL, Stoney!
My wife bought that exact bike 2 weeks ago- first ride this morning (don't ask, been busy). I got to borrow it for a bit...
Loved it so much I ordered one as soon as we got back to the house!! :thumbsup:
I'm getting a different color scheme- can't have matching bikes... although I REALLY like the green and black!

(Disclaimer- I've been off MTB's for many years. I was skeptical of the 29'er phenomenon and -you guys will laugh at this- how well discs would work and if they would be worth the weight penalty. Glad to say, I'm a skeptic no more!)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yea, a test ride and the lime green and black really got to me this year! I just got my 19"

·
Registered
198 Posts
bwfox said:
Yea, a test ride and the lime green and black really got to me this year! I just got my 19"
Aaargh- don't rub it in!
My wife also has the black and lime green... I liked hers so well I ordered my own. My only caveat- I don't want to match, so a different color, please.
That would be the silver and dark red.
Okaaaayyy... I realize this is (or should be) a small thing, and that a bicycle is only a tool, however, as a UW Huskie, our big rivals are WSU.
Care to guess what their colors are? :madman:
I'm not a huge football fan or anything, but... Still.
Sigh.
So, now I'm conflicted- I love my bike, but I hate the color. :madmax:
My wife offered to trade, but that doesn't feel right- but OH, the black and lime green is SOOOO freakin' cool!

OTOH... matching bikes would have looked dorky.
I guess I'll come around, but... it's going to take some doing.
I can't "rattle-can" a brand new bike, can I? :eekster:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.