Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
I don't do PC
Joined
·
7,401 Posts
What is the benefit over the standard spd's? I have caged spuds and like using them for rides where I need more foot protection in the chunk but they really don't provide anymore of a platform or support for my feet compared to the regular spuds. These don't look to do either, support or rock protection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd have to disagree. On my 5 Spot I use Shimano PD-M647 pedals, and can tell a noticeable difference compared to the regular spd's on my Evil. My only real complaint is weight (522g). The new XTR trails have a claimed weight of 398g. Looks like a pretty decent platform on the new XTR's.

But, I guess I'm not really comparing apples to apples. When using platform spd's, I use more of a tennis shoe spd shoe, as opposed to 'regular' mountain bike shoes on the Evil. Will be interesting to see nonetheless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
shalesjr said:
I'd have to disagree. On my 5 Spot I use Shimano PD-M647 pedals, and can tell a noticeable difference compared to the regular spd's on my Evil. My only real complaint is weight (522g). The new XTR trails have a claimed weight of 398g. Looks like a pretty decent platform on the new XTR's.

But, I guess I'm not really comparing apples to apples. When using platform spd's, I use more of a tennis shoe spd shoe, as opposed to 'regular' mountain bike shoes on the Evil. Will be interesting to see nonetheless.
x2 - I'm in the same position. My 647's are starting to get beat and the lighter XTR pedals look like a good replacement. Even if I use my regular "MTB" shoes, I like having the wider platform of the pedal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,267 Posts
I love clipless pedals, but I never quite understood the rampant trend of using super stiff carbon type roadie slipper shoes with pedals that have a small minimal contact area for mountain biking. Your pedals are one of your three main contact areas on the bike and most pedal/shoe interfaces suck. They make you feel like you're on ice skates, or standing on two pebbles.
I use the Crank Brother Mallets for all my riding, and its nice to see Shimano making a pedal thats more real world friendly.
 

·
I don't do PC
Joined
·
7,401 Posts
They don't look any wider than the standard pedal, I like the 647's cause they provide good protection for the sides of my feet thru the rocks but really no added support with my regular Lake shoes I use. Maybe a diff shoe with a flat sole like the Shimano DH shoes would provide more support with the 647's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,161 Posts
morandi said:
I love clipless pedals, but I never quite understood the rampant trend of using super stiff carbon type roadie slipper shoes with pedals that have a small minimal contact area for mountain biking. Your pedals are one of your three main contact areas on the bike and most pedal/shoe interfaces suck. They make you feel like you're on ice skates, or standing on two pebbles.
I use the Crank Brother Mallets for all my riding, and its nice to see Shimano making a pedal thats more real world friendly.

When you are clipped in, that is about as supported as you can get. The platform cage allows me to find the pedal faster after a dab, pedal easier without being fully clipped in (after a quick dab) and if the trail gets sketchy, I unclip and use the arch of my foot to engaged the pedals. Doing so lets me use the use the platform without automatically getting clipped in.

I like my M647s too. The replaceable plastic cage is like a shock absorber. Its beat up, but Shimano will change it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rroeder, give these a shot with your 647's. I've had great luck with them. Gives you a solid platform. Most comfortable shoes I've ridden in. And best thing, you can walk in them without feeling the cleat on the bottom.
 

Attachments

·
fool goin up, joker down
Joined
·
615 Posts
I think price will be a big part of whether or not this pedal sells or not. If its too expensive I think people will find better alternatives for a cheaper price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
I think platforms are a big plus if you use soft soled shoes that would deform around a smaller pedal platform.

Those new XTR Trail pedals look pretty awesome.

Having said all that I prefer Sidi shoes and standard Eggbeater pedals.
 

·
Gnar
Joined
·
476 Posts
freaknunu said:
I think price will be a big part of whether or not this pedal sells or not. If its too expensive I think people will find better alternatives for a cheaper price.
Price is key, I think I’ll stay with the 647.
Is this really intended for All Mountain use?
 

·
wuss
Joined
·
2,379 Posts
Jet Fuel said:
Price is key, I think I’ll stay with the 647.
Is this really intended for All Mountain use?
My guess is, that if you have managed to do any significant damage to the case on the M647 then you'll trash this one in no time. :)
 

·
Five is right out
Joined
·
3,174 Posts
Regarding platforms on clipless:

I've used TimeZ (huge platform) and Time ATACs (minimal platform). I've not noticed any advantage of the platforms with soft soled shoes, and the platforms can get in the way of some hard soles.

Save the weight, just stick with 'normal' clipless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Depends on your riding style. Larger platforms have a huge advantage in the chunky areas (for me). When I did even small drops, lets say 2-3' drops, my heal would be jarred backwards towards the ground when on traditional clippless spd's. When I started using the 647's with soft soled shoes, such as the 661's posted above, I noticed a HUGE difference regarding this. More of my foot was resting on the pedal/platform area, in turn eliminating my heal from snapping back.

Also, not everyone is concerned about weight, although I would prefer a bit lighter platorm pedal :)
 

·
I don't do PC
Joined
·
7,401 Posts
OT, but I've managed to break one of the pedals on both my 647's and 545's, the cage broke off on the 647 and the end cap assembly came out on the 545. I called Shimano in CA and they are out of replacement parts till Oct but fortunately it was the left pedal for one set and the right for the other so I'm running one of each :)

shalesjr- I'm kinda looking at the Shimano DH shoes or those new 5.10's as replacements as my Lake's are shot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really wanted the 5.10's when I got the 661's, but they weren't available yet. If you get them, let me know what you think. Might be my next replacement.

Cheers,
Stephen
 
1 - 20 of 113 Posts
Top