Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Not so cool!
Still no 10s Grip-Shift and i don't like the cranks of the XTR either.No good chainring options as well.

44-30
42-30
40-28
38-26

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Why no 40-27? Despite that, I really like the looks of the cranks. However, final verdict is made when I see the weights.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
The 40/28 should be enough for most racers on 26" wheels and the 38/26 is great for the 29er folks. Go up or down as needed for your ability and strength.

·
Registered
84 Posts
At first I thought the XTR crank was hideous, but it's starting to grow on me already and I'm sure it will look much better in person. The X.0 group, however, looks awful. I can't get this image of the shimano parts used on walmart bikes out of my head because of all the black and the cassette's largest sprocket being black, which is what the very cheapest shimano cassettes have. But other than looks, I have high hopes for weight on both and hopefully shimano can make an actual lightweight crank unlike what SRAM did to the XX crank.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
briscoelab said:
The 40/28 should be enough for most racers on 26" wheels and the 38/26 is great for the 29er folks. Go up or down as needed for your ability and strength.
These chainring offerings need a 36 cassette which is NOT what we weight weenies are looking for.Besides that the 36 cassettes have larger gaps between gears...i don't like both the higher weight and the gaps of those large cassettes!

I prefer somewhat smaller rings up front and 32 max 34 cassettes in the rear.This gives me a low enough gear while still offering a closer spaced drivetrain.

No wonder FRM sells their 2x9 kits in just 26/40 or 27/42. That's the sizes also used by the Swisspower Pros (Schurter and Vogel) and i doubt those have weak legs;)

Anyway - looking at these XTR cranks and not seeing chainring bolts on the outside makes me wonder if Shimano as well offers these cranks with a proprietary, custom BCD which again would make these cranks just a one way ticket: once worn you have to get the proper rings and pay the huge check...

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Nino, I really don't think most races would need a 36T rear cog with a 26 in the front. A 28 with a 34 in the back would be pretty nice. I ride 11-32 9 speed now (with 28/40T rings) and don't mind the gaps in the gears (some people do/might), so an 11-36 would not have any larger gaps than I'm used to... just a lower gear. The 11-34 10 speed would actually have smaller gaps than I'm running now.

I think that if you need the 26T, that a 38T big ring (with an 11T cog) is more than big enough gear for anything you'll encounter in an XC race and general trail riding.

The XTR cranks look to be normal BCD, but are using the hidden chain ring bolts like the current model Dura Ace and Ultegra road cranks. (Could be wrong though) So, you could still run whatever rings you wanted on them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
nino said:
Besides that the 36 cassettes have larger gaps between gears...i don't like both the higher weight and the gaps of those large cassettes!

I prefer somewhat smaller rings up front and 32 max 34 cassettes in the rear.This gives me a low enough gear while still offering a closer spaced drivetrain.
Hmm, don't know what are you referring to when saying that those 36-cassettes have bigger gaps between gears :confused: ?
At least Sram 11-36 XX cassette is 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32-36 and that's exactly same as 11-32 cassette plus the extra 10th gear which happens to be 36!!!

I like that Shimano is bringing also more than just top end group with 10speed, hopefully that will lower the prices :).

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think if you are like me running XTR w/FRM 40/26 and 32/11 2x9 you go to 42/28 and 36/11 and gain that extra 10th speed and actually have one extra/new granny gear...alos on the wgt side, I hope that the XTR crank is lighter than my setup( you would think so...) so I see it as a win/win

also the one crank y'all are talkng about has no bolt showing(on the right) but the one on the left does show them...so we'll see also interesting note, shifters are not in pic!?! or brakes...

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
The gaps between gears would be bigger on a 11-36 9 speed but spread on 10 speeds, it's just fine.

I have a feeling the XTR crank wont be specially light... They should have made a BB30 version.

·
Registered
407 Posts
also that pic doesn't really look like a Shimano type picture.

I'm sure if this is a Shimano released pic then more details will come soon.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Here's a link to the Google English translation of that page.

Those new cranks just make me appreciate Cannondale Hollowgram SL cranks even more. I wonder if it would be physically possible to design and machine a bottom bracket spindle that would allow you to use them with an XTR-style external bottom bracket in an English-threaded (not BB30) bottom bracket shell.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Yes, once you have Hollowgram SL, every new high-end crank release seems like a joke, always heavier, never stiffer. But, you can already use Hollowgrams on non-BB30 frames, there are spindle/bearing/cup kits to do so...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was wondering why so much Shimano was on sale recently. Looks like they might be reducing inventory to make space for the new 2x10 lines.

Is it best to hold off any purchases until the new stuff is released? Interbike maybe?

Hopefully, the 9 spd stuff should drop even more in price.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts