Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Sooo happy to see this. I love my Pug, but the thing is a tank, even as a SS. Cannot wait.

·
30-ton War Machine
793 Posts
Just called my LBS and put in a pre-order. They tried to talk me out of a fatty and I told em FFF!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
AK Chris said:
That bike already exists, looks like the exact frame we've had here in Alaska for a couple years...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.us/907.html
Well, that bike is "similar", I'll grant you that, but the devil is in the details. The Salsa has full cable housing runs underneath, where I won't strike them in a sudden dismount in deep snow. The Salsa also accommodates 135mm offset wheels with their drop out adapter, which means if I have a Pugsley, my wheels will transfer over. It also has well thought out touches like reflective decals, and an Everything Cage mount on larger sizes. Not to mention fork mount bottle bosses as well.

To top it all off, I don't have to go to Alaska to see one, (not that it would be a bad trip, just sayin'), and I would have a local to me dealer.

Exactly the same? No.

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Plum said:
Except it's not an offset rear end and it's not a 100mm BB shell.

Plum

Scroll down a bit, the bike does utilize a 100mm shell and an offset rear as well.

·
Full Tilt Boogie
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The biggest thing about this bike is that it is supported and distributed by arguably the best dealer and parts network in the country. The bike does have a lot of specifics that set it apart from it's competetitors. Just as there are small differences in many companies reasonably priced steel 29er single speeds, it's those differences that will make this bike special.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
170mm rear hub?
*sigh*

why's noone just running 6 speed 135's with an 83mm bb?
I mean when the HELL are you running the 44x11?
(racing fatbikes notwithstanding)
Sorry if I seem ranty, keep hoping one of these days there'll be something easy to work with that uses parts that are more readily available than a 170mm hub.

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
170/135 optionally

byknuts said:
170mm rear hub?
*sigh*

why's noone just running 6 speed 135's with an 83mm bb?
I mean when the HELL are you running the 44x11?
(racing fatbikes notwithstanding)
Sorry if I seem ranty, keep hoping one of these days there'll be something easy to work with that uses parts that are more readily available than a 170mm hub.
# Dual Rear Spacing: 170mm non-offset rear spacing or 135mm offset (17.5mm-offset) option
# 135mm-to170mm adapter for retrofitting 135mm offset rear wheels sold seperately
http://salsacycles.com/bikes/mukluk/frame/

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Salsa is absolutely KILLING it lately.

Every bike they've shipped lately is well though out, immensely useful, practical and just plain fun.

Keep up the good work, guys.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts