Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new 2011 RP23 on my bike. For some reason, I feel that propedal isn't working at all. I feel no difference between Setting "3" and open. We have lots of steep climbings here so I like to have a stiffer suspension from big pedalling.

Unfortunately I think it is way too sensitive/soft on initial travels and it also reach its travel/bottom out wayyyy too easily even when I just sit on the bike on Propedal 3 and take a small bump. Usually I would think that a bottom out would happen only when you jump and go "big hit". I already have the shock set @210 psi.

Well I'm gonna try even more air this afternoon but I then I have a feeling that it will start to makes things too harsh. Still, ProPedal isn't working at all I swear. There's absolutely no difference and I feel like it's still open. Would sending it to Fox be a great idea?

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
I have a brand new 2011 RP23 on my bike. For some reason, I feel that propedal isn't working at all. I feel no difference between Setting "3" and open. We have lots of steep climbings here so I like to have a stiffer suspension from big pedalling.

Unfortunately I think it is way too sensitive/soft on initial travels and it also reach its travel/bottom out wayyyy too easily even when I just sit on the bike on Propedal 3 and take a small bump. Usually I would think that a bottom out would happen only when you jump and go "big hit". I already have the shock set @210 psi.

Well I'm gonna try even more air this afternoon but I then I have a feeling that it will start to makes things too harsh. Still, ProPedal isn't working at all I swear. There's absolutely no difference and I feel like it's still open. Would sending it to Fox be a great idea?
Probably a low compression boost valve model ? A fellow rider had the same issues w/ his RP23 - A custom tune fixed the non-existant Propedal feel.

·
Registered
188 Posts
what bike and what is the stock tune on your RP23? I had similar complaints with the shock on my SF100. A volume reduction spacer cured much of the issues regarding travel and air pressure settings ( not so much help on the PP though as I hardly use it )

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys. I do not have the bike with me (it needs some pretty caring I go hard on it :D) but I probably have a low tune model as LBS told me. Tho, yesterday I decided to just **** off with sag and I took my pump and decided to just try different pressures. Adding some air really helped and it felt better this time. But yea, apparently on my bike, as told by the LBS, ProPedal is almost not noticeable. For now I'll live with it and keep tuning without sag anymore and just ride.

I feel it's kinda hard to have a good stock RP23 that feels great on every level but I'll keep trying tuning the thing.

I also think that sag isn't perfect either. I had a 0.5'' sag on a 2.25 stroke shock and I still bottom that thing kinda easily. So morale : Not always go with sag? :D

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The UK importer/tuner just had my RP23 in to be checked out for similar issues. As soon as they saw I was running 200+ psi they said I needed a firmer shock tune than the L-compression L-rebound 175-boost.

Adding air pressure isn't a substitute for having the right valving. You are right that sag is an imperfect measure - it is a compromise that can't give the right answer when taking weight shift and positioning into account. You want the suspension to be performing when you are in "attack position" and giving yourself less sag when seated is going to mean hardly any sag at all when attacking which is going in the wrong direction.

Get it revalved and try and stay close to the sag recommendation. It should be the best of all worlds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.