Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

After reading, cheking (and saving money) I'v decided to buy a 2011 Remedy.
My wavering is: Remesy 7 or Remedy 8?

The main difference between those 2 bikes is that the Remedy 7 has a fixed 150mm Fox Float fork, while the Remedy 8 has an adjustable 120-150mm Fox Talas fork and therefore cost 500$ more than the Remedy 7.

In one of the Remedy bike tests they wrote that they almost never had to lower the fork during extended uphills.

That is why I'm thinking more of the R7, especially when it costs 500$ les than the R8.

1. Has any one out there rode the 2011 R7, R8 or maybe both of them?
2. Can any one tell the difference between them?
3.those extra 500$ is hard to get, but is it really such a big difference retween those 2 forks? is there anything I cant do with the R7 bacause of that non-adjustable fork?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Climbing will be a bit easier with the adjustable fork lowered to 120mm of travel. That's really about it. I don't think it justifies a $500 price difference, but I've never climbed with more than 120mm of travel before, plus I really don't like messing with my suspension system in the middle of a ride.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I have a U-turn Pike, from 95-140. I very rarely stop before a climb to turn down the fork. If I'm riding a less gnarley trail or one with a ton of climbing, I'll dial the fork down to 120 or so but leave it there for the whole ride. I don't think stopping before every climb to fuss with my travel would be much fun. If the only difference is the fork, I'd save my $500. Might even ask the shop if they'd upgrade my wheels at an extra cost as a better way to spend the money.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I have a Pike U-turn also. mostly Ieave it at 140, However on the long extended climbs 120 or lower keeps the bike tracking straight. Also I notice when I get tired on the return leg and have to climb any distance, I can't keep the bike tracking straight unless I lower it.

Further, if you lower your body to the crouched position, slightly off the saddle with you chest close to the stem, this also helps control the bike..

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I'd take a float over a Talas. I had a 160mm Talas, and never used the travel adjust. Plus floats are more plush than a Talas. I'd take the $$ and buy an adjustable seatpost, wheels, and/or tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts