Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a brand new 2011 Reba RLT Ti fork with maxle on my Pivot 29 and the wheel is off center to the drive side of the bike by a considerable amount. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem with a 2011 model. I have read about some of the 2010 models having this problem, but figured SRAM would have this issue resolved by now. I have tried two different wheels (checked both on the truing stand and they were fine) with the same problem.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Oh snap, I hadn't heard about this and just picked up an uncut but non-packaged 2010 Reba Team off Ebay. Going to build over the winter, so it will be awhile before I can see if I have a problem. Is the problem on all models, or just specific models? Is there a fix?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Qfactor03 said:
I just installed a brand new 2011 Reba RLT Ti fork with maxle on my Pivot 29 and the wheel is off center to the drive side of the bike by a considerable amount. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem with a 2011 model. I have read about some of the 2010 models having this problem, but figured SRAM would have this issue resolved by now. I have tried two different wheels (checked both on the truing stand and they were fine) with the same problem.
No problem with mine.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
bluestatevirgin said:
Oh snap, I hadn't heard about this and just picked up an uncut but non-packaged 2010 Reba Team off Ebay. Going to build over the winter, so it will be awhile before I can see if I have a problem. Is the problem on all models, or just specific models? Is there a fix?
Most common fix is new lowers. This problem has been apparent(though most claim the wheel sits closer to the non-drive side, unlike the OP) for atleast a couple years now. I first saw it on the new SID forks - it seems to be most prevalent w/ the SID and Reba line. I have had several SID's with this issue and my 09 Reba Team 29 had the problem as well.

·
Snapper
489 Posts
Same issue

Hi Q,

Hope you are well mate.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=650970&highlight=king+wheel+reba+forks

Have the same issue with two 2010 sets of Reba Maxle - 120mm. See the post above.

It does not seem to be an issue with Kings rather the fork lowers. Have spoke to Rockshox in Oz and the company in NZ l brought them from and the lowers are to be replaced. Sending them to NZ to then be sent to USA to be reviewed and if faulty - repaired will take around 3 months - cant do that.Now l brought two sets early this year at a great price and both had slight defects (rippled paint, marks, etc) so l tend to believe (conspiracy therorist) that it could have been a bad batch and that l should just live with it because they were cheap - but it seems to be more wide spread.
They are a terrific fork and love the maxle but both are off centre ( three front wheels tried are all dished properly) and the Kings are so off center - l cant run them at all as the rotor is so close - l have no room to adjust the caliper. Sure the Kings might be alittle off but even the Hopes (which fit) are off centre.
I would love another set of Rebas for my Sultan but can take the leap without trying them first - in the flesh. I have no problems with Fox or Manitou.
People please make sure your wheel fits as does your rotor and brake before you purchase - because satisfing a return/warranty procedure can be frustrating and lengthy.
Cheers
JD

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Well dang. I thought it was my fault when I noticed my wheel was off center and I re-centered the wheel while it was in the fork. I'm constantly amazed at the lack of quality control these days. You would think that they would place the fork on a fixture after it is assembled and check alignment and other variables.

·
Snapper
489 Posts
mine too

wavejumper said:
Mine is off center towards the non-drive side. I have a reba RLT Ti 20mm Maxle. Does this have an affect on anything other than appearance?
Mine is out to the non drive side with two different wheels and a RR 2.4 tyre almost buzzes the side.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The rotor to lower tolerance on these forks is extremely close and can rub very lightly. I checked both of my front wheels on a local shops truing stand and they were not centered, so it appears I need to have my Park stand checked. They still appear off a small amount (<1/8") which to me is more than acceptable.

Sorry to start a sh!% storm on this one. I just assumed my stand was accurate and now wondering if it got knocked off the bench at some point in timer and no one bothered telling me. This is a 2011 model Reba, so hopefully they have resolved the issues they had with some of last years models.

Thor29 said:
Well dang. I thought it was my fault when I noticed my wheel was off center and I re-centered the wheel while it was in the fork. I'm constantly amazed at the lack of quality control these days. You would think that they would place the fork on a fixture after it is assembled and check alignment and other variables.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Qfactor03 said:
The rotor to lower tolerance on these forks is extremely close and can rub very lightly. I checked both of my front wheels on a local shops truing stand and they were not centered, so it appears I need to have my Park stand checked. They still appear off a small amount (<1/8") which to me is more than acceptable.

Sorry to start a sh!% storm on this one. I just assumed my stand was accurate and now wondering if it got knocked off the bench at some point in timer and no one bothered telling me. This is a 2011 model Reba, so hopefully they have resolved the issues they had with some of last years models.
I never use a truing stand to check dish. Just not accurate.

You could have flipped the wheel in the fork and had immediate feedback on if it was the wheel or the fork.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I also just bought a 2011 Reba RLT Ti and my wheel is off center to the non drive side by about 1/4". It is a warranty issue and you should contact Rockshox if you have this issue. They are sending me a new fork since mine is uncut and never installed. They said they have had a few forks with this issue recently.

·