Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase a 2011 pitch pro very soon. If you have any kind of feedback as to how the bike is, pros & cons plus pics that would be awesome. Comparing it to the Reign 1 got to demo ride last weekend just want to hear some stuff on the Pitch since Specialized does not have this on there Demo tour. Thanks !!!

·
Upgrade your life
313 Posts
Its not a 2011, but completely upgraded. Just installed a Revelation RLT TI Dual Position. It has transformed the bike. I absolutely love riding this bike. Its goes up (sometimes slowly) and bombs down. To bad you cannot demo one.

J

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the 2011 pro.

Unfortunately the price went up a lot on the specialized website, I got it back
in Oct 2010 when it was listed at $2200, not sure how this will affect shop
prices but I got a pretty good deal on it regardless. Some good components for
the price. I know the fork is new for 2011 but I guess it is supposed to replace
the Pike and a lot of people like the Pike. So far, so good. It has a nice
action and is reasonably stiff. The frame and geo is great for all mtn stuff, I
can ride it all day. I have not heard of anyone having problems with any part of
the Pitch frame.

The only thing which sucked (which I replaced) were the x5 shifters. I put x9s
on there, the x5s even broke <40 miles of riding. Lame. I'm not a fan of the
stock tires either, they don't corner well but Specialized tires last forever.

It goes uphill well and down well. No complaints there! Not as burly as an
Enduro but it gets the job done for a heck of a lot less $

·
Registered
258 Posts
I finally was able to upload some photos. I've been too busy riding!

So far so good. I've taken it out on a few muddy rides and have nothing but good things to say about the ride. Components aside, the bike feels perfect for its intended use. For now I am doing a lot of XC type riding better suited for a 4 - 5 inch travel bike but when the trails dry up a bit the bike will be right at home on some mini DH runs just south of here.

The only thing I wish is that the RP2 came with a bit more rebound. Out of the box it comes with a low rebound tune. I'm a Clydesdale so I need a little more rebound to match the air pressure I am running. I have it turned up all the way and it feels good but I may send it to PUSH when it is time for a rebuild.

The Secktor fork feels really smooth. I haven't really been a fan of RS over the last 10 years ( the early SID era) and ran Zokes or Fox but these new line of forks feel buttery smooth. I just with the Motion Control lever could be a little bit bigger.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nice bike man! Yeah I've been torn between the Enduro comp and the pitch pro. I lean more towards the pitch due to the $$ factor. I know either way I will be happy with either one of them. Why did you switch out the components? were the stock ones that bad? I noticed you removed the chain guide also is that do to the 3rd chain ring being installed?

·
Registered
258 Posts
The reason I went for the Pitch Pro was the price. Even working at a shop the Enduro is just too far out of my price range. My boss has a 2010 Enduro Pro which is pretty nice but I just cant justify the price.

I swapped out the parts because I guess I am a Shimano guy. I also wanted more of a trail bike so getting the triple crank was a must.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I hear you about the price. I think that is why everytime I start to lean more to the Enduro comp I start thinking about the 600.00 extra then I go back to the pitch. I have read some very good things about both but it seems for the price you can't go wrong with the pitch. I have even bounced back and forth with the comp just to save a few more bucks but I think for the extra couple hundred the pro is worth it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looking into joining the club,
Wish specialized sold just the frame

Did Specialized make slight changes to the '11 frame?

According to the 2011 geometry chart the new model has a 11mm lower BB and the same head tube angle with a longer crown to axle fork(Pike 140 is 519mm vs Sector 150 at 529mm)
thanks

·
Registered
367 Posts
I got a 2011 Pitch Pro back in August of 2010. I recently uploaded a picture in the main Pitch thread. Been loving the bike so far. It is my first full suspension bike so I don't have anything else to compare it to.

I think the majority of the components that come stock on the bike are good enough, especially for the price, even though I've changed a decent amount on my bike. I just mostly like to tinker with things and this is my only bike so I use it for everything. The stock X.5 shifters were working fine for me, but the X.9's definitely shift more smoothly. I upgraded them since a lot of the 9-speed stuff is very cheap these days. The stock bash guard is no good in my opinion. I'm certainly not great by any means, but I was hoping it'd be able to take a few hits. I broke it within a month. The BBG bashguard has held up nicely, is really cheap, and doesn't weigh any more than the stock. The stock wheels work fine but are a little on the heavy side. I had to get them trued more often than what I'd like, but at the same time, I'm a clyde. They may not bend as easily for the average size rider. The Roval Traverse AL wheels I put on have been working great so far and definitely make the bike feel much lighter.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the bike and it is a lot of fun. If there is one con for me, it is my height with respect to Specialized's sizing. I'm 5'11" and I bought the large. Unfortunately, I'm stuck right in between the M and L. You'll see many others on this site that are in the 5'11" to 6'2" range that are on both the M and L. I went the route of prefering to be stretched out as opposed to cramped. I shortened up my stem by 15mm and I may end up doing more. It certainly feels better for me to bring the handlebars in closer, but it definitely made the climbs slightly more difficult. The front tends to wander more (no surprise), but the decents are very nice. The only other thing I'm considering changing is the shock and fork (just personal preference here). The propedal on the shock and MoCo on the fork do their job, but I want a bit more function for the variety of terrain I see on my local trails. I can have miles of smooth single track that will dump into technical rocky sections, then back to smooth, then technical, etc... I like to keep the Propedal on and run the MoCo stiff for the smooth sections and of course it works great in the corners, but it'd be nice to have a blow off valve so I don't have to change my settings when the terrain gets technical. I'm finding the shock and fork tend to spike a lot when I hit technical areas in my usual settings. Of course, these features are removed to keep the cost of the bike down, so it is understood. For the most part, it feels like I can dial in the suspension for any situation at my trails provided I first stop. I know it can be done on the fly, but I've crashed a few times trying to do that (again, I'm not even close to being the best). I've only done 3 ft. drops and a couple 2 ft. high jumps, but the suspension feels plush and the bike feels very stable both on lift off and landing.

Interesting side note, I recently looked into the similarities of Rockshox's Sektor and Revelation fork. Seems to be the Sektor is just a stripped down version of the Revelation. I'm planning on buying the MoCo from the Revelation and putting it into the Sektor. The part is only about $85. That will give me a blow off valve in the fork. I checked with Rockshox and they said it would fit. Nice to be able to upgrade without having to buy a new fork.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
good feedback guys, really appreciate all the information. I just found out today that a bike shop not too far from where I live will sell the 2011 pro frame only. I am stoked!! I really wanted this option because I have a whole plan of how I would like to build it. I have read really good things about the bike and not too much negative stuff said about it except for the components which now I really don't have to worry about sense it's going to be a build bike. Bikeguy not sure where you live but if you live in SOcal that is where the bike shop is located that I am buying mine from. Ask around I asked a couple before I found this one. not sure how they will sell me one and the other shops won't but don't give up you'll find something.

·
sofa king awsm
636 Posts
I'm very interested in picking up a 2011 Pitch Pro. The price is right and it will allow me to not get my ass kicked as badly on the rocky descents as my Fisher hardtail.

I'm not in love with the green color tho. It's kind of cool but I can see it not appealing to me at all in a couple years. Is green the only color the 2011 pitch pro comes in? The Pitch comp looks a lot better IMO.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes, the pro only comes in the green/black & the comp comes in the all black here in the USA. At first I really didn't like the green/ black combo but now I kinda like it.

·
sofa king awsm
636 Posts
afp3 said:
yes, the pro only comes in the green/black & the comp comes in the all black here in the USA. At first I really didn't like the green/ black combo but now I kinda like it.
Yeah it's not ugly, but I think the Comp's all black looks a lot better. Besides fork and shock, what other differences are there between the comp and the pro? Maybe I should get the comp and just upgrade the fork and shock. But doing it that way just gets into Enduro Comp money...and I might as well get the Enduro then. :madman:

·
Registered
890 Posts
I haven't rode a pitch but want to make this statement.

Pitch owners shouldn't feel down, or back of the bus type when comparing to the enduro. You can have just as much fun on a pitch. My brother has a stumpy, and I have an enduro, he continually tells me he cant keep up cause his stumpy is not built like my enduro is. Well I switched bikes and still left him in the dust on his stumpy.

My point is, that its going to be YOU that makes the bike. Not the other way around. I think the pitch is an all around better bike than the enduro if you want to do a mix of fireraods, xc to am. The enduro is pretty slack. I like the stumpy cause its light, nimble and flickable. Where my endruo is a sit back and plow type of bike, and takes a little more effort to be nimble like the stumpy. Thats why I think the pitch will be a better choice, unless you plan on stepping it up and pushing yourself to more advanced trails.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Buster, besides the fork and shock being different They have a different rear derailuer and brakes that's about it. I am in the same boat as you I have bounced around from the PItch Pro to the Pitch comp to even the Enduro comp. Like it was mentioned from "camarosam" it's the rider not the bike. I have seen quite a few people out on the trails with sweet ass bikes and they can't ride nearly to the Potential of the bike. When's it's all said and done buy what you are able to afford and try not to keep up with the crowd. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Pitch pro now. I have read nothing but good reviews about it. My only issue i'm having now is should I purchase the bike complete or buy just the frame and build it up. Good luck !!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.