Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
What has been changed in this years policy compared to previous years?

I am not cognizant of the previous policies and this policy seems [to me] to be very exacting in its requirements.

·
drunken pirate
1,414 Posts
earl06 said:
Gee, 30 total volunteers allowed to maintain all the trails. Doesn't look like a whole lot will be getting done. :rolleyes:
How many people does it take to maintain PAS's trails? 15 seems like too many to me. At every work day I've been to with more than a half dozen or so people at least half my time is spent standing around doing nothing because there are too many people and not enough organization or instruction. How many volunteers maintain the trails in the Shining Rock and Middle Prong Wilderness areas? The last I heard it is 8. They maintain all those trails (which are lot harder to get to than Farlow or Laurel) using no machinery and do a damn fine job of it. I don't understand the need for enormous work groups. A small, dedicated force can do just as much work with much greater efficiency. I know on 4/9 I have no desire to walk up Laurel and drag limbs off the trail with 14 other people :rolleyes:

I cannot blame the Forest Service for putting these guidelines in place. We cannot just have anyone running around doing whatever they want to the trails because they are in PAS.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
driftwood said:
How many people does it take to maintain PAS's trails? 15 seems like too many to me. At every work day I've been to with more than a half dozen or so people at least half my time is spent standing around doing nothing because there are too many people and not enough organization or instruction. How many volunteers maintain the trails in the Shining Rock and Middle Prong Wilderness areas? The last I heard it is 8. They maintain all those trails (which are lot harder to get to than Farlow or Laurel) using no machinery and do a damn fine job of it. I don't understand the need for enormous work groups. A small, dedicated force can do just as much work with much greater efficiency. I know on 4/9 I have no desire to walk up Laurel and drag limbs off the trail with 14 other people :rolleyes:

I cannot blame the Forest Service for putting these guidelines in place. We cannot just have anyone running around doing whatever they want to the trails because they are in PAS.
If the pool of volunteers is only 15 people what makes you think that they will all show up? Say one has a doctors appointment or another has to work and another has to take his kid to cello lessons. Say only 2 show up. Clearing all of laurel with only 2 people could be much less effective.

Also, you need to think about burn out. Volunteers are generally excited and enthused for a limited amount of time. If they are not stressed by all the responsibility they may last for several years before they ultimately burn out. If all the stress is placed on a limited few then they burn out much faster. Any healthy organization will do it's best to spread the load and continually seek new people to carry the ball.

It's been my opinion that more volunteers is a problem I can deal with.

·
drunken pirate
1,414 Posts
Maida7 said:
If the pool of volunteers is only 15 people what makes you think that they will all show up? Say one has a doctors appointment or another has to work and another has to take his kid to cello lessons. Say only 2 show up. Clearing all of laurel with only 2 people could be much less effective.

Also, you need to think about burn out. Volunteers are generally excited and enthused for a limited amount of time. If they are not stressed by all the responsibility they may last for several years before they ultimately burn out. If all the stress is placed on a limited few then they burn out much faster. Any healthy organization will do it's best to spread the load and continually seek new people to carry the ball.

It's been my opinion that more volunteers is a problem I can deal with.
David, you are absolutely correct. Allow to try and clarify myself as little:

I'm not at all bashing PAS for setting the cap at 15 volunteers (or agreeing to the FS's cap, or whatever happened). That is a very reasonable number to deal with. I was flaming earl06 for ignorantly thinking that 30 (!!!) people is not enough to get anything done :rolleyes:. 15 people are not needed but it would be good to have them in the available pool as you have pointed out. I'm sure there are 15 PAS members who would like to be able to participate in these work days so I will graciously not fight them for a spot and will stick to my renegade antics instead :skep:

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
driftwood said:
David, you are absolutely correct. Allow to try and clarify myself as little:

I'm not at all bashing PAS for setting the cap at 15 volunteers (or agreeing to the FS's cap, or whatever happened). That is a very reasonable number to deal with. I was flaming earl06 for ignorantly thinking that 30 (!!!) people is not enough to get anything done :rolleyes:. 15 people are not needed but it would be good to have them in the available pool as you have pointed out. I'm sure there are 15 PAS members who would like to be able to participate in these work days so I will graciously not fight them for a spot and will stick to my renegade antics instead :skep:
I'm not sure how we got to this point. I'm not privy to the negotiations. I don't know where these numbers (15) (30) come from. But sometimes the specifics cloud the bigger picture.

Let us remember that we are all on the same team, we all want the same things. In the heat of our passion we often loose sight of this but deep down we are all brothers.

I don't know if there are 15 PAS members who will take those spots. I'm hoping you will take one. If not, I'll still support any positive action that you undertake. Perhaps you prefer to march to your own drum. Nothing wrong with that. I place a high value on your contributions. If you want to go it on your own and the ends justify the means, I would be a damn fool to argue. Peace!

·
drunken pirate
1,414 Posts
Maida7 said:
I'm not sure how we got to this point. I'm not privy to the negotiations. I don't know where these numbers (15) (30) come from. But sometimes the specifics cloud the bigger picture.

Let us remember that we are all on the same team, we all want the same things. In the heat of our passion we often loose sight of this but deep down we are all brothers.

I don't know if there are 15 PAS members who will take those spots. I'm hoping you will take one. If not, I'll still support any positive action that you undertake. Perhaps you prefer to march to your own drum. Nothing wrong with that. I place a high value on your contributions. If you want to go it on your own and the ends justify the means, I would be a damn fool to argue. Peace!
I agree. I don't know much (anything) about PAS but I did email the BOD many months ago as you suggested volunteering to help in anyway. I exchanged a couple of cordial emails with one board member and that was it. Now, I'm gonna just wait and see how it plays out. Clearly this is a transitional time for the group and as such I'm not sure that this is the time for me to contribute.

·
Beer drinking biker!
256 Posts
Hi all! The forest service is who put the cap on the volunteers. Driftwood we would love to have you as part of one of the crews. You should probably email me or Van again as I literally get 10-20 PAS related emails a day. So we will have small crews and will be looking for those who are dedicated, not those who only can come out to one work day. Please note that this policy is for Pisgah work and we will have Dupont and Richmond Hill trail days that will be open to all. Thanks everyone!

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
DirtyMtnBikeHer said:
Hi all! The forest service is who put the cap on the volunteers. Driftwood we would love to have you as part of one of the crews. You should probably email me or Van again as I literally get 10-20 PAS related emails a day. So we will have small crews and will be looking for those who are dedicated, not those who only can come out to one work day. Please note that this policy is for Pisgah work and we will have Dupont and Richmond Hill trail days that will be open to all. Thanks everyone!
Finally someone posting that knows the facts, thanks Karen.

Side note: You need to ride more:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.