Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can Anyone help me shave some pounds/ounces?:thumbsup:
The bike itself is like 20 pounds. It's kind of heavy compared to other Top-of-the-line bikes.
Everything is pretty much stock. Except, the seat, and grips.
Thanks,
Jmunoz

Attachments

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
You have a nice, reliable bike. You can take any part of it and make it lighter if you have the time and money to do it. It just depends on how weenie you want to go.
The pedals would be an obvious choice.
You should make a list of every component on your bike and people will suggest lighter alternatives.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Specifications

Frame: Orbea Alma
Fork: RockShox Sid XX
Wheels: Mavic SLR
Tires: Hutchinson Python
Shifters: Sram XX
Front Derailleur: Sram XX
Rear Derrailleur: Sram XX
Crankset: Sram XX BB30 39/26
Cassette: Sram XX 11-36
Pedals: CrankBrothers Candy 2ti
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio
Handlebar: Easton EC 90
Stem: FSA OS-99
Brakes: Sram XX
Seatpost: Orbea OC
Water Bottle Cages: Blackburn Camber CF
Grips:ESI chunky
Rotors: Avid Clean Sweep X

·
Registered
995 Posts
I recognize that bike!
I'd look at wheels and tires first. Your light enough that you could get away with ZTR Podium MMX wheels, which will save around 300g. Then get some Maxxis Aspens (work great for TMBRA races), which will save you around 100g up to 300g, depending on which Pythons you're running.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Frame: Switch to a Cannondale Flash. Just kidding.
Fork: You could switch to DT but it wouldn't be as stiff and would require more maintenance. I would keep the SID.
Wheels: You can absolutely get lighter wheels but there's nothing wrong with the ones you have.
Tires: Depends on your racing/training conditions.
Front Derailleur: Use a road front derailleur to save weight but some say it has inferior performance. There's a thread about XX with road front der. on this forum.
Rear Derrailleur: Sram XX. You can mod this with lighter bolts and pulleys. I wouldn't bother.
Crankset: You could switch to a Lightning carbon crank with the XX rings or something lighter. I wouldn't bother. You might want a light BB when you wear out the original.
Pedals: I would absolutely switch to 4ti if you like Eggbeaters.
Handlebar: You can get crazy light bars but they cost a fortune.
Stem: Maybe switch to Syntace F99.
Brakes: There's lighter options but I'd keep the XX.
Seatpost: Way lighter options out there. Browse this forum for ideas.

Other: Lighter bolts, cables, housing, headset?, chain. Keep browsing the forum for ideas.

·
mtbr member
655 Posts
well here it goes:
- wheels would be on top of my list along with choosing the tire that fits your needs the best.
- how much does that seat post weight?
- " stem?

On the other end of things, your only 13, so without knowing you I would have to guess that your skills are still developing. With that being said, ride the crap out of the bike and better yourself first! I know you don't want to hear that, but it surely won't hurt.

Sweet bike :thumbsup:

·
weight weenie
97 Posts
bquinn has some good points. If only I had a bike like that when I was 13. That's a very nice bike and I would just have fun riding it and worry about upgrades later.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
jmunoz said:
Yes, indeed. It's crazy fast. But,The funny thing is that I'm 13. And, a weight weenie.:thumbsup:
The first step to fixing a problem is to acknowledge that you have a problem:D Welcome to the club kiddo!

Now...look for some alternate wheels perhaps. Tires too like people have already mentioned. Not sure if you said you have ti spindles or not, but you can ebay those from a guy who manufactures aftermarket spindles for around $50 I think. The candy pedal is a bit heavier than just the regular beaters also...maybe get the regular ones and then add the ti spindles...

Lighter rotors perhaps?

At 13, you probably are not over the 165lb-ish weight limit for the spindles either..

Sweeeet bike. Now go win some races:thumbsup:

·
Registered
240 Posts
jmunoz said:
Frame: Orbea Alma
Fork: RockShox Sid XX
Wheels: Mavic SLR
Tires: Hutchinson Python
Front Derailleur: Sram XX
Rear Derrailleur: Sram XX
Crankset: Sram XX BB30 39/26
Pedals: CrankBrothers Candy 2ti
Handlebar: Easton EC 90
Stem: FSA OS-99
Brakes: Sram XX
Seatpost: Orbea OC
start with tires & wheels: stan´s podiums:thumbsup: & rocket rons.
brakes & rotors: get some r1´s or kcnc x7´s
stem: fsa=heavy.. get a extralite one.
handlebar: i suggest the new ultimate carbon flat bar:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

i think that will do it!!!:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.