Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying that this bike is incredible. It handles great, is responsive, transfers energy great, climbs...I could go on and on. I have the full XTR setup, 2x10 and I have dumped my chain at least 15 times now. It only dumps when I am coasting and hit a rough section. I am not pedaling when this happens. It dumps off the big chain ring between the frame and the small chainring. I took it to my LBS and they could not fix the problem. Due to being scared of seriously damaging my bike (The chain dumps have already put a good thrashing to my frame) I finally just said screw it and let the bike sit because I got tired of messing with it. Back to the Giant I went. Anyone know of a solution, it's depressing watching such a great bike just sit I really want to ride it and not be scared of destroying it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the same bike but with a SRAM double, and I had the same problem. I contacted Aceco (K-Edge) and they recommended a model called "Cross Clamp XL. It did the trick for me. It's not on their website, but you can probably contact them.

They were also working on a version of their BB mounted Dirt-3 that may be an better option for you. I'm using a BB30 bottom bracket so that was not an option for me.

It's not cheap, but it was worth it to me because it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Are you sure the chain is the right length? This topic has been brought up before, and this seems to be the most likely issue. I know when I set up my XTR 2X10 I had to take a few links out of the chain.

Second, are you using the 980 or 985 rear derailleur? If your using the 980 then a switch to the 985 may help solve your issue.

·
Registered
278 Posts
XTR shadow 975 rear der, XT front, FSA 386 Kforce light crank (BB30) w/ 27-40 rings, XTR chain, XT 9 spd 11-34 cassette, 2011 Alma carbon frame, widely varying terrain at high speeds = zero dropped chains in precisely one year of use/abuse. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Also, which front derailleur do you have? They make a 2x specific front derailleur (M985 or M986). I have this one and can't see where it would be possible for the chain to dump onto the frame.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The bike is what came on stock on the 2011 XTR Carbon model. Not sure the exact specs. I'll try and get some pics posted. The usual trail I ride isn't that rough but as soon as I got on a trail with some rocks it started dumping bad. Nobody around here has heard of such a thing as the experiences I have had with it. I guess I'm going to have to say stay away from Orbea. Alignment is good, chain is the right length, etc...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The bike is what came on stock on the 2011 XTR Carbon model. Not sure the exact specs. I'll try and get some pics posted. The usual trail I ride isn't that rough but as soon as I got on a trail with some rocks it started dumping bad. Nobody around here has heard of such a thing as the experiences I have had with it. I guess I'm going to have to say stay away from Orbea. Alignment is good, chain is the right length, etc...Ride Giant.
What size is it? If it is a large you can send it to me....:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.