Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I don't see a lot of info on Devin's bikes other than what Mikesee and a few others post, I thought I would post up my build and a few pictures:

2011 Lenz Sport Leviathan 4.0, Large, Medium Blue Anodized
Fork: Rock Shox Reba RLT Ti 29, 20mm Maxle Lite
Shock: Rock Shox Monarch 4.2
Headset: Cane Creek 110
Wheels: DTSwiss 350 hubs laced to Stans Arch rims witha mix of DTSwiss Comp and Supercomp spokes
Tires: Maxxis Ardent 29 x 2.4, set up tubeless
Brakes: Hope Tech M4
Shifters: SRAM X0
Derailleurs: SRAM X0 rear, X9 front
Chain: KMC X9SL
Saddle: Ritchey Biomax WCS
Bars: Ritchey WCS Flat 10D
Stem: Ritchey WCS 4-Axis
Seatpost: Ritchey WCS Alloy 2 bolt
Grips: ODI OURI

Sunday, a loop at Battle Creek and 2 intermediate only loops at Lebanon Hills... Rest Monday, few minor tweaks... Last night a complete loop at Lebanon Hills. All I can say is that I've never felt so comfortable on a bike. Maybe part of it is the momentum of the big wheels, but I feel like this bike will take me through jsut about anything. Rails corners, soaks up bumps/drops, eats baby heads and even enjoys airing out the tires a bit from time to time. My thanks go out to Mike Curiak, Devin Lenz, and the guys from my LBS for helping me put together such a wonderful rig. I'll be putting it through it's paces on a 100 mile event with 150 other riders this Saturday.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I had to guess on weight, it's in the 26lb range. It's right about where my 2008 Rockhopper Pro was weight wise before I sold it, and that was 26.5lbs w/ seat bake and frame pump. I should have a weight later this week if not early next week though, as I'm quite curious myself.

One thing I might change is the brakes. Sticking with Hope, but go to the Tech M2 instead, and save these for another project. :)

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Steve_N said:
Lovin' mine...

The thing that stands out for me is how fast and easily it eats up the single track... It almost dares me to go faster and faster...

Interested to know your thoughts on what the ride's like with the RS Monarch shock as I have the RP23 with boost valve.
I hated the stock RP23 w BV. It was plush.....but no where near enough platform.
I tried the Monarch, which is much better platform-wise in stock form.But...I still have a bad taste in my mouth from a problem with Rock shox a few years back
I sent my Fox to Push.....( they remove the BV and revalve) which made a huge difference.
Push is now selling custom valved Monarchs....which I might try.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve, So far I'm loving the Monarch. I had it all set up just right, had the air pressure dialed in, and then Saturday came. I wish I would have monkeyed around with adding ballast to the bike, as I had a 100 mile race that I gave in at 40 miles, mostly due to my lack of conditioning I think. I think I ended up adding a total of 15lbs of air for all the extra weight I was carrying.

I haven't messed around to much with the adjustments on the Monarch though, but it's felt great right out of the box and just adding some air.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Great looking bike. What travel are you running the Reba at? The Leviathan is at the top of my list for a FS 29er at the moment.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have it set up at 120mm, but have contemplated either knocking it down a bit OR taking some air out as I don't quite utilize all the travel. Of course, as soon as I do that I'll bottom the fork out all the time I'm sure.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Besides not getting full travel how does running 120mm effect handling? Did you go with the tapered HT?

·
A Baker St. Muse
139 Posts
Damn, you're making me want to go clean up my green 2011 Leviathan and take some better pictures of it, now that it's also complete.

Maybe I'll get ambitious this weekend.

Nice build too, very similar to mine. I used Arch rims too, but went with Hadley hubs.

·
Happy Trails
96 Posts
pedal bob?

I was all set on getting a lenz in the next six months but heard it has a fair amount of pedal bob. Also looking at the new rocky mountain element 950, any comments on the pedal bob or your new lenz. And how long did it take you to get the frame once you ordered it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Zaskar - I did not go with the tapered head tube. After talking to a few people I felt it was more important to have a TA than a tapered head tube. I can't say that for XC riding/racing that it would necissarily make all that much difference.

Michael - How did you manage to get a green one? Or is yours powder coated? I had seen the green anodized in the photos they sent me but they were having problems with it so I went with blue. I'm ok with that though, as it may match my car if I ended up pulling the trigger to order it.

wvucrna - I can't say that I've had much trouble with pedal bob, if any. It took a little messing arount with the compression adjustments, but the only time I really notice it is if I have to really stand up and hammer up a hill, which is pretty rare. The people I had read about having problems with pedal bob were those using the Fox option instead of the RS Monarch that I have. Originally I was hoping to have my bike in hand in about a month after order, but it took about 2 months due to some delays with anodizing.

I've got about 1000 miles on the bike right now and couldn't be happier... I just wish this heat and humidity would go away so I can ride more, but I suppose my house needs some attention from time to time too.

·
Happy Trails
96 Posts
thanks for the feedback; by the way, that is one sweet looking ride--love the ardent's will be hoping to put down my deposit by mid-Aug going to go Silver...I think:thumbsup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think silver would look awesome. I almost asked if I could get a raw/clear powder coat, but wasn't sure if it would do the frame justice... maybe next time, as I'm getting quite interested in the PBJ now at this point.

·
A Baker St. Muse
139 Posts
Michael - How did you manage to get a green one? Or is yours powder coated? I had seen the green anodized in the photos they sent me but they were having problems with it so I went with blue. I'm ok with that though, as it may match my car if I ended up pulling the trigger to order it.
Mine is anodized like yours, I got it from Golden Bike Shop, they had one sitting around in their shop. I originally emailed Lenz directly to order a blue one, but they told me I'd have had to wait 10 weeks for the next batch to be complete, and was really itching to ride, so I went with a green one.

But the problems you speak of were true - my rear triangle needs to be stripped and refinished, the anodizing didn't take well on the seatstays, and there's some marks where they wrapped the right chainstay in tape, and the tape made marks in the finish. Devin said he'd build an extra rear triangle for me the next time he did a run of green bikes. Hopefully he figures out the problems!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.