Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently had my bike stolen while it was sitting in front of my house. Luckily it was just a pos Walmart bike but instead of buying another pos I decided to buy something I could actually ride. I spent a couple weeks looking on craigslist and eBay when I stumbled across a 2011 karakoram gt 29er after looking around a bit it seemed like a decent bike and I ended up getting it for 200. I am just looking for anyone to maybe tell me a little more about it if they are solid bikes or what needs changed, potential problems and if I made the right choice. I'm a big dude about 5'10 265 thought the study frame would help a bit thanks

·
Registered
15,139 Posts
Manitou Tower Pro is good value. I ride it.
http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-components/manitou-tower-pro-fork-clydesdales-techical-751708.html
A 15mm front hub wheel with a FlowEX rim goes good for your weight. You can lace your own with a Park TM-1 tension gauge and some research.
This Raidon air fork would work at a lower cost.
New 2012 SR Suntour Radicon Loc 29 15 mm thru Axle 1 1 8" Steerer 100 Mm | eBay
With a light tire like a Nobby Nic Performance you will drop 3lbs. off the front of your bike.
There is some money involved.

·
I like bikes.
309 Posts
I have a 2011 Karakoram. I specifically bought the 3.0 so I can upgrade to what I prefer and not pay more for the 2.0/1.0 just to remove the stuff anyway. Plus, I wanted to make sure I was going to ride and not have it waste away in my garage!

First thing I upgraded were Hydraulic Disc brakes. I bought new take-off Shimano's for $120 and they came with new rotors/pads..etc Damn things bolted right up and fit perfectly with no trimming or bleeding the system.

The front fork sucks. They weigh like 6Lbs and has as much cusion as a car leafspring. Terrible. I just upgraded mine to an X-fusion Slide air shock. MUCH better. I went with the X-fusion so I could get the 15mm axle over the Rockshox Reba which only came with 9mm drop outs. Price was $288 shipped w/Ebay coupon. $100 cheaper than the Reba's. Rebas are slightly lighter(.6lbs) but I really felt the 9mm axle flex and wanted to upgrade to 15mm. The Reba 20mm only came in Tapered steerer tube.

I upgraded the wheels. Stock Alex wheels wouldnt stay true. I chose the WTB Freq i23's. Bought them from Velomine.com for $218 shipped.
I also upgraded the deraillers, not because they were junk, but because I wanted the rapid rise out back. I hated the opposite effect on the shifters from left hand to right hand. Up w/thumb on one side is down on the other. Drove me crazy. This is just a personal preference.

The two things you really should do... Brakes and fork upgrade! It will make that bike way better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.