Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have seen some 2011 Jet 9s with the RP23 shock out back. I know the 2011 frames came with a shock that was tuned for higher compression dampening and there were some folks didn't like the ride. In 2012 they reset the compression tune back down to match the older models.

Can anybody give me some feedback regarding the tuning of the 2011 models and whether it really was a problem or whether you like the ride of the higher compression shock? Anybody have the shock serviced to change the tune?

Considering picking up one of those frames knowing that the ride may be more harsh. Figure I could always ride it for a little while and send it off to have the compression tune changed, if needed.

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This article talks a little about how Niner changed the compression tune on the rear shock for the 2011 models and then changed it back after complaints...
Niner JET 9 review - BikeRadar

You can see the compression tune setting on the sticker on the shock. 3 bars with one highlighted - the longer bars means higher compression level. Yours may be one of the lower compression models.

·
4 Niners
2,124 Posts
All my shocks have the same "bar code" I always checked it when I got a new frame. I must have missed this entirely since my frames were 2008 2010 2012, My first Jet was recalled in the "total recall" and my 2nd Jet the seat tube was welded in crooked so they replaced that frame and while the model years changed the actual frame only went through 3 generations in that time and I had all 3. Sorry I can't help. My Jet's didn't have any problem using up to 95% of the stroke with 20% sag so I am sure I never had this version of the shock.

My only possible complaint with the shock tuning is that I think it could use a little more rebound or at least rebound that got progressively stronger. And this might just by my latest frame/shock. I did not seem to think that my first 2 frames/shocks needed more rebound and I plan to ask for more rebound whenever I get the shock refreshed.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
I had the 2008 that was recalled & ended up with the 08 shock on my 2010 & It was very good.

My wife got the 2011 Jet9 & it had the 1st of the Boost vale shocks, It had far more pedal bob & just didn't control the rear suspension as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.