Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year at Interbike, 29ers were accepted a legitimate market segment. This year, it seemed like they took over and dominated.

At the dirt demo, it seemed like 70% of the test bikes being ridden (non-shuttle) were 29ers or Fat Bikes.

Inside, 29er seemed like the theme for growth.

There were a couple cool carbon bikes by Mountain Cycle and Look. Upon discovery that there's no 29er version, folks move along.

your thoughts??

fc
some of our 29er coverage: 29er | MTBR Interbike Coverage

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
Last year at Interbike, 29ers were accepted a legitimate market segment. This year, it seemed like they took over and dominated.

At the dirt demo, it seemed like 70% of the test bikes being ridden (non-shuttle) were 29ers or Fat Bikes.

Inside, 29er seemed like the theme for growth.

There were a couple cool carbon bikes by Mountain Cycle and Look. Upon discovery that there's no 29er version, folks move along.

your thoughts??

fc
some of our 29er coverage: 29er | MTBR Interbike Coverage
I agree. I think your numbers are accurate. Watching the trail head at bootleg was like 29er...29er...29er...Fat Bike...29er...26er...etc. All the 26ers were on the cattle truck for the most part.

Amazing.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
your thoughts??
My thoughts are that I will be on a 29er next season, seems everyone where I ride is riding a 29er of some sorts, so there must be something to it. Plus I way overbuilt my TransAM and will be parting that out for either a 2012 Banshee Paradox or Canfield Yelli Screamy. :thumbsup:

Plus being 6'4" seems to be the next logical bike upgrade for me. :D

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are new 29er forks from Xfusion, DTSwiss, White Brothers, Fox, Rockshox. Magura will follow soon enough.

Kenda is moving from 5 29er tires to 10. VeeRubber has about 15 new tires and all are going to be available in 29er.

Are fat bikes 29ers??

fc

G

·
Wheel sizes have commonly been named for the approximate overall diameter of the wheel even though they actually define the rim. 29ers are no different. Claiming a 559-rimmed wheel is a 29er serves no purpose other than to make 29er riders feel better. It is what it is.

650b road riders don't claim their wheels are 700's even though the overall diameter is essentially the same. It's all just posturing to make people feel good. 700c's aren't even 700!

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
basically i think the 29er thing has moved from hype to a legiment faction in most peoples minds.
That is because the slow learners are catching up finally. :D

A few did it 10+ years ago, for me it has been over six, many 29er forum regulars were way ahead of me.

You get the early adapters, innovators, open minders, then those that need to be with the "fashion" crowd. Money follows the "fashion" crowd, and that is where we are now.

The "fashion" crowd does not have the guts to BE Lady Gaga, but they want to look like her once she made it big. :p

Reactions: Manicmtbr

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
I think it depends on the 29er. I have ridden some 29ers that felt like wagon wheeled POS and others that feel really fun (e.g., Jet 9). It certainly is a fun wheel size :)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I think it depends on the 29er. I have ridden some 29ers that felt like wagon wheeled POS and others that feel really fun (e.g., Jet 9). It certainly is a fun wheel size :)
I think the above statement is so true and has kept a lot of people from the 29er world. Just as 26er's, different angles and builds make a bike you either love or hate. The early days of 29er's felt like tall twitchy xc bikes that handled like a school bus, I hated 26er's like that so why wold I want a 29er? They put a really bad taste in my mouth even though I could feel the slight benefit in our sandy soil. Once a slacker, lower and more robust models started showing up, they made sense and I cant see going back for a my trail bike (but I never say never.) Its just funny that they are all grouped into one giant forum. Jump on pinner carbon 72deg head angle bike and then on a burly 68 deg trail rig and they aren't even close in handling, such a different feel. I just think people are starting to have options and that sparks interest, maybe?

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
A few did it 10+ years ago, for me it has been over six, many 29er forum regulars were way ahead of me.
And they were the ones stuck on some of the most boring bikes to ride. Only now are a few companies offering 29ers that are fun to ride. In my opinion, some of the so-called 29er innovators are still making 29ers that are boring to ride, unless all you like to do is sit and pedal on fireroads.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Wheel sizes have commonly been named for the approximate overall diameter of the wheel even though they actually define the rim. 29ers are no different. Claiming a 559-rimmed wheel is a 29er serves no purpose other than to make 29er riders feel better. It is what it is.

650b road riders don't claim their wheels are 700's even though the overall diameter is essentially the same. It's all just posturing to make people feel good. 700c's aren't even 700!
Okay, the fat bike rim is 559 ISO, but are you going to put anything but a 3.8 inch plus tire on it? ;)

So, whether I or anyone else "feels good about it", (which I could care less about), it remains that wheel size is defined by overall rim/tire diameter for ease of conversation.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
And they were the ones stuck on some of the most boring bikes to ride. Only now are a few companies offering 29ers that are fun to ride. In my opinion, some of the so-called 29er innovators are still making 29ers that are boring to ride, unless all you like to do is sit and pedal on fireroads.
True, depending. I am very tall and extremely long legged, so my 26" career (begin 1979 - end 2005) was an anxiety trip, an endo looking for a place to happen; I got tired of al the "space walks" over the bars looking for a landing zone. So when I found I could descend steeper, rougher terrain on my 29er with no sphincter pucker, I liked it. Call it boring if you want, but for me, it opened up some steeper downhill terrain that backed me off previously.

I do ride fire roads up, but some sweet long singletrack is now ridden the entire way, where I had to get back on the bike after bailouts, or walk, when broken legs would have been a serious, life threatening problem in the back country. Don''t get me wrong, I feel privileged to have been lucky enough to be on a mountain bike for the last 32 years, and 26 of those were on 26" wheels, treasured times and memories. :thumbsup:

But 29ers just work better FOR ME.

can you see the trail up in the clouds above the cliffs?

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
/\ nice pics!

I won't deny that 29ers certainly have some benefits (even the older ones with crappy geometry), but they still have some disadvantages to 26ers that won't ever improve. So I agree - it depends on the rider/situation.

G

·
So, whether I or anyone else "feels good about it", (which I could care less about), it remains that wheel size is defined by overall rim/tire diameter for ease of conversation.
But it doesn't make for ease of conversation. It never has. Everywhere more than one rim size uses the same name it causes confusion. Is a 20" tire a 451 or a 406? Who knows, it's useless.

650b road wheels are always referred to uniquely even though their popularity comes from being the same size as 700c using a wider tire. Their advocates would take offense at the suggestion that they are really 700c. This is no different.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
But it doesn't make for ease of conversation. It never has. Everywhere more than one rim size uses the same name it causes confusion. Is a 20" tire a 451 or a 406? Who knows, it's useless.

650b road wheels are always referred to uniquely even though their popularity comes from being the same size as 700c using a wider tire. Their advocates would take offense at the suggestion that they are really 700c. This is no different.
Huh, well, uh, hmmm. Easy here, I guess.

All my years in a bike shop, I NEVER had anyone come in and ask for a 559 or 622 or 597 tire, never............. You want to be bike techngeek, GT is talking about the everyday bike rider. Quite a difference, but room for both, depending on who you are talking to.

Oh, and Sheldon Brown knows. ;)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.