Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
sdb125
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to find out which one fits my riding style better.

I ride very technical trail, technical XC, and all mountain.

I would want the fork to use to compete in the Downieville AM in 2012. Would the lowest travel on the 180 (140mm) be too much for the XC portion??

Thanks!

Frame: Specialized 2011 Enduro M5

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
I'd go with the 160, personally.

But if you went 180, I'd get an angleset as well and put it in the steeper setting. that way your front end won't be too slacked out at 180 and keep the WB shorter and when you drop to 140 the front end won't be too low, throwing too much weight forward and slowing you down, which is a strange phenomenon with TALAS'.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I vote 160mm fork for technical tracks.

I have a pitch with 180mm fork, I already test it in technical tracks. It's very difficult to turn at tight to medium corners.

Even worse .... I'm having understeering at higher speed. I have to stop complelety because I'm about to overshoot the turn ( I mean I'm about to miss the corner, and fall into small cliffs if I dont brake and stop ).

·
Registered
640 Posts

sdb125 said:
I'm trying to find out which one fits my riding style better.

I ride very technical trail, technical XC, and all mountain.

I would want the fork to use to compete in the Downieville AM in 2012. Would the lowest travel on the 180 (140mm) be too much for the XC portion??

Thanks!

Frame: Specialized 2011 Enduro M5
First question is whether your frame will work with 180...it may slack it out too much. Second thing is I don't think the 180's come with the lockout switch which can be helpful for a long fireroad climb. I would say get the 160 or even look at the 32/150/15mm.

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
Having used both forks, I would get the TALAS 180 (straight steerer) and the Cane Creek Angleset to steepen the angle up, the 180 is buttery smooth and a great technical and AM fork. I only use the 140 for steep technical climbs (short or long), and use the 180 for everything else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.