Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up an 2011 Epic 29er frame. I have a DT 240 rear hub and the conversion kit to 142 finally came in. However after installing the new axle and end caps the rotor and disc brake caliper are off. The rotor is about 3mm to far in. Solutions? Shimming the rotor? Axle improperly installed? All help appreciated.

·
\m/ \m/
368 Posts
I had the same issue with my I9s, I ended up shimming the rear wheel..... I've been having issues with the free wheel too. So I'm running the stock wheels ATM, But I've got a set of Roval carbons on order.....

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
CHSAD said:
Picked up an 2011 Epic 29er frame. I have a DT 240 rear hub and the conversion kit to 142 finally came in. However after installing the new axle and end caps the rotor and disc brake caliper are off. The rotor is about 3mm to far in. Solutions? Shimming the rotor? Axle improperly installed? All help appreciated.
Take a look at the "142+" explained graphically thread. It implies that there is an older 135 standard that is 3mm shorter WRT the disc mount. It looks like the specialized frames expect the rotor to be 3mm further out.

Edit: Nevermind. I was looking at the wrong side of the hub. Stupid me.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thus far that is the only solution that I can come across (shimming the rotor)....a little frustrating and quite disspointing. I assummed that 142 would fit in the 142+ rear end with nothing more then a rear der. adjustment......what adds to it is that I have read numerous times that is the case just the adjustment. Nothing like a new "standard".....

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
CHSAD said:
Thus far that is the only solution that I can come across (shimming the rotor)....a little frustrating and quite disspointing. I assummed that 142 would fit in the 142+ rear end with nothing more then a rear der. adjustment......what adds to it is that I have read numerous times that is the case just the adjustment. Nothing like a new "standard".....
That's a shame. You never really know if these things will work until you try them. :(

Is the freehub body and cassette in the right place relative to the rear derailleur?

One solution could be to modify the hub axle. Cut 3.5 mm off the non drive side of the DT 142 x12mm hub axle and add a 3.5mm x12mm spacer onto the drive side so that the brake rotor lines up. When tightened the thru axle puts the whole axle into compression.

Apparently you can use spacers with a 135x12mm hub in a 142x12 mm frame so you could do the same here with a single spacer on the drive side to move the brake rotor over. I've been trying to find somewhere that sells them. It's the sort of thing you could get made easily as a custom part if necessary.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The axle lines up fine the rear end and tightened up fine. Wouldn't adding a spacer to the rear axle make it so it won't fit in the bike? I have not put the cassette on yet. Could the the 142+ that should effect the drive side is actually effecting the disc side with the proprietary + Specialized has added?

·
Registered
7,969 Posts
Slightly OT, but although I get the whole 142 idea from a stiffness point of view, Specialized should be taken to the wood shed for a good paddling for the 142+ nonsense. It doesn't really offer much more than the 142, and is turning out to be a bit more of a PITA than everybody thought.

Or maybe the first axles from DT were not machined to the correct spec? This is a pretty new standard, and crazier things have happened.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
CHSAD said:
The axle lines up fine the rear end and tightened up fine. Wouldn't adding a spacer to the rear axle make it so it won't fit in the bike? I have not put the cassette on yet. Could the the 142+ that should effect the drive side is actually effecting the disc side with the proprietary + Specialized has added?
You'd have to shorten the non drive side and lengthen the drive side, by cutting down either the axle itself or the end caps to shift the wheel.

What you could do would be to get the 150x12mm DT thru axle kit and have the 150mm axle plus the 150mm end caps cut down to your chosen alignment by removing the excess length The extra 8mm of width gives you the option to get the optimum 142mm layout for your frame. That would probably be the best solution. Not a frankenbike but a workenbike.:)

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Acc.../Conversion-Kit-150-mm-12-mm-TA-rear-(1).aspx

The original comments by RMB-PM actually mention new end caps, rather than free spacers. Does the hub axle reach fully to the end of the end cap?

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=628873

http://www.starbike.com/php/product_info.php?lang=en&pid=12411

If the 12mm axle itself is a fixed length and only the end caps change between 135, 142 and 150mm DT hubs then you could maybe get another set of end caps and cut just the end caps down to shift the hub sideways by 3mm, or possibly even use a mixture of end caps from different kits.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
If you look at the DT product page then the 150x12mm conversion kit fits 340 thru bolt and 440 freeride hubs.

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Acc.../Conversion-Kit-150-mm-12-mm-TA-rear-(1).aspx

The 142x12mm conversion kit fits 240s and 440 freeride hubs .

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Acc...Kits/Conversion-Kit-142-mm-12-mm-TA-rear.aspx

Even though DT 240s hubs aren't specifically mentioned on the 150x12mm page, the fact that either kit can be used with DT 440 freeride hubs suggests that the conversion kits must be very similar.:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
CHSAD,

did you buy the end caps from specialized direct or were they order thru a vendor? The reason I ask is that there are two different sets of end caps for the DT 142 setup. One set is for the standard DT hub, such as a 240, and the second set is specific to the Roval 142+ hub. if you use the 142+ end caps on a 135-based DT 240 hub it will most likely shift your wheel in the frame. This sounds like it might be the reason why your rotor is not lining up, double check with your shop to make sure you have the proper end caps.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Blade-Runner said:
I had the same issue with my I9s, I ended up shimming the rear wheel..... I've been having issues with the free wheel too. So I'm running the stock wheels ATM, But I've got a set of Roval carbons on order.....
This is a strange issue with the spacing being off. I ditched the stock wheels on my Epic Evo R 29er and ordered wheels directly through I9 with the 142x12 rear and they fit perfectly. Athough, I did tell them what bike it was going on, so maybe that is why I didnt have any problems??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.