Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, first time post on this great forum so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I've been searching the classifieds for a new mountain bike and have narrowed it down to a 2011 Devinci Desperado S or 2014 Trek Xcaliber 5. Im looking to keep the costs down and these fall right u to my budget and what I am looking for. Basically leisure ride with my son on and off road.

i cannot decide between the 2 and both can be had first same price. Here are some specs:

Devinci (not carbon frame)
https://m.pinkbike.com/product/devin...rado-Carbon-S/

Trek
https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/...iber_5/details

Which would you choose if you had to name a choice between the 2 and why? Reaching out to the community as I know little to nothing a little the specs.

Thanks!​

·
ACHOO
4,492 Posts
Do you have links to the actual classifieds? I ask because people sometimes forget to check the frame size, and might compare a "S" and "XL".

One key point is the Devinci has 26" wheels, while the Trek is a 29er.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have links to the actual classifieds? I ask because people sometimes forget to check the frame size, and might compare a "S" and "XL".

One key point is the Devinci has 26" wheels, while the Trek is a 29er.
Both are a medium size frame. Is there a big benefit the 29" tire compared with 26"?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I may be to new to answer this, but the 26" are fast, nimble and--from what I can tell-- more of a throwback to the older bikes than 29". 29" offer speed and provide more absorption, but with less precision control.

I'll be curious to see what advice you get; it seems to me people aren't big on recommending older bikes due to changes in tech and geometry. Right now, I'm looking at a 2012 Scott Scale, and hesitating to pull the trigger based only on its age.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The thing about 29 is that, being larger diameter, they offer a bigger contact patch and roll over things more easily than smaller wheels. For the same reason, they are harder to accelerate than smaller wheels, but also help keep momentum a little bit.

26" tires may be harder to find.

When both those bikes were new, they were fairly comparable. Depending on how they were ridden and maintained, they could both be OK, or both be beat to hell. The 2011 stands a higher chance of needing new parts, just by its age.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Thanks for the info guys! Both seem to be in very pristine condition. Given that, which is the better overall bike?
Fundamentally, I think you first have to answer whether you think you want 29er or smaller wheels. Beyond that, there's not enough difference to discuss.

Also, bikes deteriorate just sitting around. Both are old enough to have done so, but I might be a bit more worried about the 8 year old bike than the 5 year old. Either bike should probably undergo a thorough inspection by a decent mechanic.

·
DFMBA.org
1,929 Posts
29er Trek. There's a reason 26ers aren't sold new that much any more. Both are going to be heavy, low-spec bikes but if the Trek has a 44mm ID headtube (as your local Trek dealer) you could upgrade to a modern fork. Low-end Suntour is heavy and poor quality. 29ers are rad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.