Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok people, my friends and I have been planning a cross-country roadtrip to go mountain biking in Moab, Utah for several months now. Unfortunately we had one person back out at the last minute due to some lack of planning on his behalf.

WANNA COME??
If you consider yourself worthy of this challenge then step up. You need to have a good and well-maintained mountain bike, able to endure long hours on tough terrain, a flexible work schedule that will allow you to get April 8th-17th off. Enough money to split gas, some food, and cheap lodging with us. Not be a wierdo, thief, whiny b*tch, or h0mo (well whatever your preference may be just keep it to yourself).

We'll be biking, off-roading a 2011 Toyota 4Runner, and taking a ton of pictures.

What's Moab??

https://www.mytriptomoab.com/Welcome.html

Here's the schedule:

Ideally if you live in Florida or anywhere in route, you can join. We'll scoop you up if the distance is reasonable.

Disclaimer: We're good but certainly not pro's. We practice often on the red trails @ Santos (Ocala National Forest) but we wouldn't want to bring along a pro and hold you back.

For more details please PM me.

·
Come on, dare me!
539 Posts
You'll get the best answers by posting in the Utah forum. That being said, we were in Moab last year at the end of April-Early May and the absolute not-to-be-missed ride there is Porcupine Rim - I'm not sure it will be doable at the time you plan to go, but UPS, LPS and Singletrack are the best set of trails I've ever done in my 20+ years of mountain biking.
There are lots of other trails around - I liked Asama Back, especially coming down through Jackson's trail along the Colorado River (awesome views, but quite a lot of exposure/technical riding), but you've got to do the Lunch trail system in Grand Junction, especially Holly Cross, as well as 18th Road System (Zippety Doo Da, Kessel's run...) and the Kokopelli Loops, which are all about 2 and a half hours from Moab - well worth the drive.
Of course, you'll want to try Slickrock, but I have to say that it was not my favourite place, by far. See it as an experience and a challenge to the laws of gravity and traction - don't forget to put old tires on your bike that day, because it eats rubber like a great white shark eats a piece of meat.

Lots more info here : http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/idx-moab.htm

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I agree with Jerome. Porcupine rim was my favouriate by far, and slick rock was the least.

If you are spending that much time driving, I would try to spend at least 5 days in Moab. There are tons of good trails in that area, and you won't be able to cover the good ones even in 5 days.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jerome said:
Just wondering... are you talking about what to do on a MTB or at night?...
I meant as far as trails or must-sees. I figure after the ride we'll be so spent we'll probably just eat and lay low until the next morning.

Unfortunately our work schedules don't allow us to stay anymore than the exact 10 days planed... hopefully our 2nd time around.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm definitely taking notes. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Tecni said:
I meant as far as trails or must-sees. I figure after the ride we'll be so spent we'll probably just eat and lay low until the next morning.

Unfortunately our work schedules don't allow us to stay anymore than the exact 10 days planed... hopefully our 2nd time around.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm definitely taking notes. :thumbsup:
When we went last year, we flew into Denver, and rented a SUV and drove to Moab. Then you only need one day to travel instead of 3. However, only two of us brought bikes with us. If we had 5 bikes with us, I think the rental option would've been very tricky.

When are you in Moab, I found Poison Spider gave very good advice on bike trails, but if you are looking to rent, the guys at Uranium cycles are really nice. They only rent high end bikes like the Ibis Mojo :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
If your going

Don't miss a chance to ride Fruita if your comming all that way it's not too far from Moab :thumbsup: .

·
Registered
961 Posts
Tecni said:
Ok people, my friends and I have been planning a cross-country roadtrip to go mountain biking in Moab, Utah for several months now. Unfortunately we had one person back out at the last minute due to some lack of planning on his behalf.

WANNA COME??
If you consider yourself worthy of this challenge then step up. You need to have a good and well-maintained mountain bike, able to endure long hours on tough terrain, a flexible work schedule that will allow you to get April 8th-17th off. Enough money to split gas, some food, and cheap lodging with us. Not be a wierdo, thief, whiny b*tch, or h0mo (well whatever your preference may be just keep it to yourself).

We'll be biking, off-roading a 2011 Toyota 4Runner, and taking a ton of pictures.

What's Moab??

https://www.mytriptomoab.com/Welcome.html

Here's the schedule:

Ideally if you live in Florida or anywhere in route, you can join. We'll scoop you up if the distance is reasonable.

Disclaimer: We're good but certainly not pro's. We practice often on the red trails @ Santos (Ocala National Forest) but we wouldn't want to bring along a pro and hold you back.

For more details please PM me.
North Rim of the GC to Sedona is about 5.5/6 hours depending on what part of the Northside of the GC you start from,,planning to camp near Jacob's Lake? The road into the GCNP won't be open this time of year unless the snow melts off pronto, so no Rainbow Rim trail which is the prime trail/camping combo in this area..... I know you have a tight schedule but only 1 day in Sedona will make you depressed. Tough choices,,,,,,,,I'd drop a day in Moab and add it to Sedona or hit Fruita on the way to Moab for a day then drive into Moab that night..easy drive. Damn, so many choices.:thumbsup:

·
Come on, dare me!
539 Posts
macming said:
When we went last year, we flew into Denver, and rented a SUV and drove to Moab. Then you only need one day to travel instead of 3. However, only two of us brought bikes with us. If we had 5 bikes with us, I think the rental option would've been very tricky.

When are you in Moab, I found Poison Spider gave very good advice on bike trails, but if you are looking to rent, the guys at Uranium cycles are really nice. They only rent high end bikes like the Ibis Mojo :)
We flew to Denver from Montreal last year - we were 4 people and bikes and rented a Ford F150 EXT pickup. Nice option for hauling bikes and people (up to 5) and cheaper than a SUV. DON'T RENT YOUR VEHICLE AT THE AIRPORT, unless you want to pay $200-300 more. Just take it near the Airport and use the shuttle to go there.

As for advice/rental, I liked a lot the guys at Poison Spider and the shop is very well furbished... :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.