Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, here it is again! Coming your way in May 27th-30th 2011 the Black Hills Fat Tire Festival. This will be the 5th year anniversary and things will be hopping. Races and rides galore along with all the socials you can handle. Three nights of partying and four days for riding. Come joins us as we ride more than 300 miles of single track. Epics rides, short rides, six different races including Super D, X-Country and Downhill. Did I mention beer? We have it, you want it. Come and get it in South Dakota. Rapid City that is!:D www.bhfattirefestival.com

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
When will we be able to register?

·
Registered
234 Posts
WickedMCMLXXIX said:
I'm interested in going. I'm new to ND and new to MTBing but I'm hooked. Will I be out of place if I'm a new guy?
Abslolutely not!!!! the newer the better! everyone is welcome and has fun--there is so much to do. BHFTF welcomes beginners, experts, little kids, families, etc. There are beginner trail rides to crazy epic trail rides. hard core races to the Strider race (which is also hard core--have you ever witnessed full-grown adults in full armor trying like crazy to stay on top of these little tiny bikes?)
the food is GREAT, the cmaraderie excellent, You'll meet awesome people and have a good time--I promise!

where in north dakota are you?

·
Registered
63 Posts
annamagpie said:
Abslolutely not!!!! the newer the better! everyone is welcome and has fun--there is so much to do. BHFTF welcomes beginners, experts, little kids, families, etc. There are beginner trail rides to crazy epic trail rides. hard core races to the Strider race (which is also hard core--have you ever witnessed full-grown adults in full armor trying like crazy to stay on top of these little tiny bikes?)
the food is GREAT, the cmaraderie excellent, You'll meet awesome people and have a good time--I promise!

where in north dakota are you?
That's good to know. I think ill make a trip out of it. I live in Minot and will be looking for some local trails once weather clears up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am glad to know that the trail fairy will again arise and give us excellent trails conditions for this 5th annual Black Hills Fat Tire Festival. We should have a trail fairy blessing on Friday May 27th to begin the Festival.

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
WickedMCMLXXIX said:
That's good to know. I think ill make a trip out of it. I live in Minot and will be looking for some local trails once weather clears up.
Welcome to Minot. For local trails, check out Bison plant. It is located behind the KOA campground on Hwy 52. Go past the campground entrance and take the very next left. Follow that gravel road until it crosses the railroad tracks. There will be another road on the left right after the tracks. The trail is about 25 yards past the gate on that road. Please don't block the gate when parking by the trail.

I would give it a few weeks before trying to ride out there as I'm sure it's still covered in snow right now.

·
Registered
266 Posts
This sounds great! I currently live in NYC metro area but will be visiting my family in SD (outside of Sioux Falls) that weekend. I would love to get back to the place where I spent literally every single family vacation from the age of 5-10!

What kind of XC trails should I expect? All I have is a rigid single speed with FAT tires.

Also, where do most out-of-towners stay? Campground? Hotels?

Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There will be plenty of people on rigid single speeds. Best bike for the hills is probably a full suspension bike but there will be a lot of people who ride others. Trails are rocky and narrow except for some of the machined trails in the Hanson/Larson. We can get you on as many trails as you can ride for the weekend. People will staying at the Host Hotel Howard Johnson (find it on the web page www.bhfattirefestival.com) and they will be camping at the fairgrounds. Fairgrounds is where all the evening socials are taking place. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't have any questions about the event. I am visiting the black hills in Sept. I would like to know more about the trails. When I look online I see that a lot of the trails are for horse use also. Is this true and what kind of shape are they in from the abuse the horses put on them? Where is the best place to find info on mountain bike trails in the Black Hills?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.