Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too many ride reports?. Yeti made many changes on this model, yet new owners post their new build on the "new and improved..." which is more than 2 years old.
I will also be interested in a comperison to older 575 models (as I ride one) as well as other bikes.
I am sure stiffeness was improved but did pedaling changed with the new pivot?, climbing?. How does the lower BB feel on technical terrain?. What fork and why?..
As you can see I am looking for reasons to get the new model......
Thanks in advance
GB

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi,

I've come from a previous generation 575, now on the 25th anniversary. Clearest distinction between the 2 would be the stiffness of the rear end, it feels stiff in a way that makes me question if my older generation chainstay was attached to the rest of the bike. This is noticable both climbing and rough descents. Lower BB feels good for the type of riding I enjoy, fast technical terrain, although I am catching the front chainring on average once per ride now, I'm considering changing to 1 x 10. don't get me wrong it's not a major issue at all, but something which happens now, which didn't on the previous generation. Front feels stiff, tracks great, forks are the 25th standard 32's, which in my opinion have more than enough travel and stifness, some people have commented to me the frame is calling out for 36's, I'm guessing this is an asthetics based comment, rather than function, I've not run out of travel yet. Overall very happy, the happiest I've been with a bike for a long time, and I've had quite a few bikes.

·
The White Jeff W
5,684 Posts
GreenBonty said:
yet new owners post their new build on the "new and improved..." which is more than 2 years old.

GB

Just to clarify that...I started that thread after the old one was inadvertently deleted. New & improved referred to the thread, not the bikes :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cuthberm said:
Hi,

I've come from a previous generation 575, now on the 25th anniversary. Clearest distinction between the 2 would be the stiffness of the rear end, it feels stiff in a way that makes me question if my older generation chainstay was attached to the rest of the bike. This is noticable both climbing and rough descents. Lower BB feels good for the type of riding I enjoy, fast technical terrain, although I am catching the front chainring on average once per ride now, I'm considering changing to 1 x 10. don't get me wrong it's not a major issue at all, but something which happens now, which didn't on the previous generation. Front feels stiff, tracks great, forks are the 25th standard 32's, which in my opinion have more than enough travel and stifness, some people have commented to me the frame is calling out for 36's, I'm guessing this is an asthetics based comment, rather than function, I've not run out of travel yet. Overall very happy, the happiest I've been with a bike for a long time, and I've had quite a few bikes.
Thanks!. So you had a 2009 575?.
Is pedaling similar to your old bike?.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes I was on an '09 575 before, pedalling is very similar to the 2011 575

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just got off mine, gotta love sunny dry days this early in the year! I think if anything the pedaling is better than the last 575, and it descends a lot better. I freaking love it!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have only the one day test ride of the last model 575 to compare to my 2011 575. This being said, the 2011 has a noticeably stiffer rear end. The 2011 bottom bracket does seem a touch low over some terrain, but I feel the overall handling benefits from the lower bottom bracket. One of the major reasons Yeti says that they lowered the bottom bracket for the 2011 model is because of increasing use of longer and longer travel forks. Although it comes spec'd with a 150mm fork which is enough for most people, Yeti even makes a point to say that many are using 160mm forks these days. I agree with the idea of using a 160mm 36 with this frame geometry. I could use more travel and would appreciate the slight increase in BB height it would provide. The stiffness of a 20mm through axle would be an added benefit. No, I would not install one just for looks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had mine for a month now and I can't believe how much I've improved downhill, it is just sooo smooth. Climbs well but that low BB is a real pain in rock garden climbs. I have had to change my pedalling technique to combat pedal strikes. But this low BB is the reason it is so good on fast tight singletrack, it changes direction at will and feels like it could go through a barn door!
It is my 1st Yeti and everyone is surprised at how light it is (27.75lb) seeing as it looks quite burly.

·
mtbr member
28 Posts
MrFannay said:
Had mine for a month now and I can't believe how much I've improved downhill, it is just sooo smooth. Climbs well but that low BB is a real pain in rock garden climbs. I have had to change my pedalling technique to combat pedal strikes. But this low BB is the reason it is so good on fast tight singletrack, it changes direction at will and feels like it could go through a barn door!
It is my 1st Yeti and everyone is surprised at how light it is (27.75lb) seeing as it looks quite burly.
Yep, pretty much the same review I have here. The only negative is pedal strikes when technical climbing. Other than that, the bike is sick. 150mm fork seems enough travel for me, and plenty stiff.

I have a medium race build, with Nevegals (2.35F/2.10R), and it weighs in a few ounces under 29 lb.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tothehills said:
...... The only negative is pedal strikes when technical climbing. Other than that, the bike is sick. 150mm fork seems enough travel for me, and plenty stiff.

So a 160 fork will raise the BB and improve the pedal strikes situation. It will be interesting to hear how climb oriented is the bike with 160mm upfront.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Had a 160 on both my '08 and '11. Gotta say that the pedal strike issue is more prevalent on the '11 but so far (knock on wood) it hasn't bothered me. The '11 climbs better and for me, I feel much more comfortable climbing out of the saddle on the '11 as well.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am also very curious about the climbing differences between the new and old 575. It seems with the stiffer rear it would be improved a little. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I still think the old version descends better than any bike in this category out there, but the climbing abilities could be better. That would be my main reason for an upgrade.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took a 25th aniversery for a short spin yesterday during the Israeli tibe gathering. Long and very very steep climb that usualy we hit only on the way down followed by a very steep and technical down hill. I climbed with the fork fully extended to make things even worse. The bike is way stiffer than my 2006/7 but I can not say that it is a better climber. It is heavier than my bike for one and the 150mm upfront did not help eigther. Just to be honest the slopes on this climb are partialy impossible to climb and were never attempted on my bike (I basicly went straight up to test the bike on the way down). I did demo a 5 just before the 575 and it was sure a better climber.
The way down is completely a different story. Bottomless 575 feel (much better for me than the 5) and solid stiffenes and stability. The bike is way more confidence inspiring than my bike and I took jumps and ramps I never attempt without hesitation. The bike is so stable in the air and the landing feels so safe that there is something for me to look forward to.
So all and all it was not a full demo but I already know that the 5 is out of the game for me despite it's great quailities (it's also stiffer than my bike but does not have that bottomless feel). The new 575 is a tank in a positive way and sure a whole new generation in the feel.
I will try to do a full demo asap.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just got my first yeti 575

I had to choose from the 2010 or 2011 575's. Eventually I got the 11 for stiffness and long term usage. :madman:
Before the 575 I had the 04 Ellsworth joker and 06 moment. Both bikes are great bikes. Especially on the DH part of the trail!!!
Both bikes run around 66.5 h.a. and have a long t.t.
I decided to buy the yeti 575 for three main reasons:
1 The local dealer gives great service!!!
2 The bike would fit much better with a pure DH bike that I have.
3 The geometry is more versatile than the bikes I had.
After only 2 rides I can say that its corners greater and climbs much easier.
The main difference that I have to get use to, is riding on the bike instead of in the bike. Like with models before.
Benny :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts