Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Moosehead
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, despite quck appearances, a few improvements to the 2010 models look to include the following:

1) Additional gusset and welds at seat tube/lower shock junction
2) New upper shock pivot system with hardened axle and lower friction reducers w/ seals
3) Pre-prepped loctite and drilled pivot shaft for grease flow at lower link - has this dealt with squeak that some experienced?
4) Seat tube full reaming - did this occur or is it a matter of link mount junction?
5) Rear paint match to front triangle

Doesn't look to have any geo or tube butting tweaks. Anything else? Discuss.

Presume the DHR and RFX are getting closer, any teasers?

Thanks and HFNY

·
I'm more of a dog person
864 Posts
taco is now fully welded at seat tube junction. curious about your mention about the seat tube reaming. are you saying that the seat tube is no longer internally butted? DT mentioned previously that it was designed with the assumption that people would be using dropable posts, therefore not needing to have the ability to drop a standard post. since i have an '09, i'm wondering if i can have the seat tube reamed to have the butting removed. or would this be bad for the integrity of the frame?

·
Moosehead
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
unclekittykiller said:
taco is now fully welded at seat tube junction. curious about your mention about the seat tube reaming. are you saying that the seat tube is no longer internally butted? DT mentioned previously that it was designed with the assumption that people would be using dropable posts, therefore not needing to have the ability to drop a standard post. since i have an '09, i'm wondering if i can have the seat tube reamed to have the butting removed. or would this be bad for the integrity of the frame?
Dunno UKK, didn't hear the final outcome on this, must have missed DT's post.

Didn't see the cable guide change and full taco weld to seatpost either.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
skunkty14 said:
Color match rear triangle now standard too I believe.
see point 5 from mooseheads original post:D

FWIW I asked for a polished rear on my 2010 because I prefer them and although Turner has had colour matched rears on and off I only think of Turners and Ventanas when I see a polished rear.

·
Registered
763 Posts
wilks said:
see point 5 from mooseheads original post:D

FWIW I asked for a polished rear on my 2010 because I prefer them and although Turner has had colour matched rears on and off I only think of Turners and Ventanas when I see a polished rear.
Yah no coffee this AM & it's Friday so reading comprehension out the window I guess.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
shootz said:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the new left Dropout shown on the Spot, flashing at the top of your screen from Competitive Cyclist.
Yeah I first noticed that on someone's 2010 build. I think my MK1 DW Spot looks better on that bit though :D

·
Registered
560 Posts
moosehead said:
So, despite quck appearances, a few improvements to the 2010 models look to include the following:

1) Additional gusset and welds at seat tube/lower shock junction
2) New upper shock pivot system with hardened axle and lower friction reducers w/ seals
3) Pre-prepped loctite and drilled pivot shaft for grease flow at lower link - has this dealt with squeak that some experienced?
4) Seat tube full reaming - did this occur or is it a matter of link mount junction?
5) Rear paint match to front triangle

Doesn't look to have any geo or tube butting tweaks. Anything else? Discuss.

Presume the DHR and RFX are getting closer, any teasers?

Thanks and HFNY
If your in the UK your not seeing these changes, at least not for a while, below is the 2nd reply i had from Silverfish (the first one was even more wafflely) yesterday :madman:

The large and extra large frames have had some rolling changes. This however has not made the other frames obsolete/discontinued as we are still receiving frames without the gusset and individual cable route from Turner, which are from Turners latest production run. Regarding the colour we are not offering painted swingarms as stock, however if you do fancy having a matching backend you can of course order a customer colour for both your front and backend, check out the Turner website for the colour options.
Edited: Silverfish is the UK distributor

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
:eek:ut:
wpuk said:
If your in the UK your not seeing these changes, at least not for a while, below is the 2nd reply i had from Silverfish (the first one was even more wafflely) yesterday :madman:

I got fed up with dealing with Silverfish. Most of the time they don't have a clue what they are talking about. They will however try and squeeze as much money out of you as possible. For real world info bypass Silverfish and just ask Turner direct. I've done so several times and confirmed that Silverfish we BS'ing me.

A friend of mine go his Spot a couple of months ago with all the new changes quoted above. Silverfish will probably try to sell you one of the 20 yellow frames they ordered...... :eek:ut:

Just email DT or Jarett any questions.

The medium frame has had the changes too... remind them.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Ive emailed Turner to ask if they'll sell direct to me, ive had previous dealings indirectly with silverfish when i bought my hummer and i cant say im impressed with the flippent regard they have for other peoples money

As it is im not prepared to deal with silverfish and "hope" that my £2000 gets me the frame i want

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
wpuk said:
Ive emailed Turner to ask if they'll sell direct to me, ive had previous dealings indirectly with silverfish when i bought my hummer and i cant say im impressed with the flippent regard they have for other peoples money

As it is im not prepared to deal with silverfish and "hope" that my £2000 gets me the frame i want
Yep, try and go direct. To be fair Turner will probably try and push you through the distributor route. I just refuse to use Silverfish.

The way they spoke to me and handled my query was really bad. You are right to demand exactly what you want - especially at that price.

The MD is so far up his own backside.

·
Registered
110 Posts
wpuk said:

i tried to order a spot from silverfish today. they told me there were no changes for 2010 and i could have what was in stock as thats was what they were selling in 2010.
i sent them that list:) still waiting for reply.
so are there passing 09 bikes as 2010 bikes? are they treating us like we're stupid and wouldn't notice? we already pay £300+ more than in the U.S........:madman:

i've contacted turner, hopefully they can sort out a 5 spot for me
how many people from the uk want to order a bike now? but wont buy from silverfish?
i'm sure someone could fly over and pick a few up

·
Registered
560 Posts
Whats even more annoying for me is that ive been in touch with 4 UK dealers before i got in touch with Silverfish to make sure they wouldnt just be offloading a 2009 frame if i bought from them

It was their lack of knowledge about Turner frames they supposedly stock that forced me to get in touch with silverfish directly

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
fua said:
i tried to order a spot from silverfish today. they told me there were no changes for 2010 and i could have what was in stock as thats was what they were selling in 2010.
i sent them that list:) still waiting for reply.
so are there passing 09 bikes as 2010 bikes? are they treating us like we're stupid and wouldn't notice? we already pay £300+ more than in the U.S........:madman:

i've contacted turner, hopefully they can sort out a 5 spot for me
how many people from the uk want to order a bike now? but wont buy from silverfish?
i'm sure someone could fly over and pick a few up
They will probably try to flog you a yellow one :rolleyes:

What's weird is, as I said before, a friend of mine ordered one a couple of months ago with all the changes. I suspect Silverfish are trying to off load stock. Ask Turner if they will pull a frame for you on the next batch (you may have to wait a while but at least you won't have to talk to Silverfish).

I was lucky enough to go on a direct route :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
if turner force me to go through silverfish, i wont own a turner. which is a shame as i've taken a few months to decide on which frame to buy. but i don't like feeling someone is trying to pull the wool over my eyes. are silverfish dumb or devious?

no reflection on turner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.