Gearshift back: Sram X.0
Seatpost: Race Face Next SL Carbon 30.9mm X 400mm
Cable system: Nokon
Saddle: Fizik Tundra

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw your topic about it, but on my other bike I've also installed Nokon's and I really like them, so based on that experience I'm using the nokons again. Never tried the Gore Ride-on's. I think the experience wil be the same, as both are totally sealed systems.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
As long as the Nokon inner liner is full length and runs through the cable guide at the BB it should be very similar in friction. I'm still knocked out at the difference between that and the conventional cable system.:thumbsup:

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
The carbon frame is so much better damped than the aluminium Vertex, nowhere near as much resonance as the alloy frames (and the Vertex 50 RSL with the regular weave carbon is better damped than the 70RSL + frames with the high modulus carbon). I always loved the way my 2000 Vertex handled but it would beat me senseless on a long ride. The scandium Vertex was much better than the alloy, but the carbon takes vibration damping up another notch. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
603 Posts
rockyuphill said:
The carbon frame is so much better damped than the aluminium Vertex, nowhere near as much resonance as the alloy frames (and the Vertex 50 RSL with the regular weave carbon is better damped than the 70RSL + frames with the high modulus carbon). I always loved the way my 2000 Vertex handled but it would beat me senseless on a long ride. The scandium Vertex was much better than the alloy, but the carbon takes vibration damping up another notch. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You are really tempting me. I've had a VERTEX50 and felt that it feels so smooth already. Even smoother than some steel frames. Now you say the carbon is up 2 notches...:eek:

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
Yep 2 notches would be about right. :thumbsup: :D My absolute fave bike in my collection is my custom painted Vertex 50RSL frame, it handles like it has thought control and accelerates like mad, even under my 195-200 pound butt. And it is the most comfy too - seems like a contradiction - but it works. It helps that it weighs under 20.5 pounds. :D

Attachments

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
I run the downtube bare as the crankskins material can add quite a bit of weight in large pieces. So far, after an entire season of riding the clear coat on the downtube looks pretty smooth but there's not a lot of small sharp gravel here, pea gravel around here is mostly round river rock stuff like big sand. The Race Kings throw gravel like monkeys at a poo fight too.

Automotive exterior Ceiling Light Carbon Metal

·
Registered
100 Posts
20.5 lbs? Holy mother of god. That is light. What an awesome looking bike.
What size is it Rocky? Do you know how much your frame weighs?

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
The Large frame with paint was 1342gms with the seat collar, so it came in just about 125gms heavier than the Large Vertex Team RSL.

The big factors in getting it under 20.5 pounds were the Durin 100R Fork (1455gms), DT Swiss carbon rim wheels (1360gms) and the Race Face Next cranks with the XTR BB. :thumbsup: :D

Before I switched to the RF Next 3/4" SL bar it was down at 20.3 pounds, the flat bar was lighter. Here's a current shot on the scale.

Scarabial, you've got a very similar build kit, with the lighter frame material, even with XL sized frame you should be able to get into the same weight range. The Race King 2.2 Supersonic tires are 470-ish grams each, if you run lighter tires you'd be able to get it down lower yet.

If you use an XTR bottom bracket bearing set for the Race Face Next cranks you'd save another 25gms and get a more reliable bearing set. Also swapping the steel bolts in the Next seatpost for Ti bolts will save another 8-10gms as they are long bolts.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rockyuphill said:
I run the downtube bare as the crankskins material can add quite a bit of weight in large pieces. So far, after an entire season of riding the clear coat on the downtube looks pretty smooth but there's not a lot of small sharp gravel here, pea gravel around here is mostly round river rock stuff like big sand. The Race Kings throw gravel like monkeys at a poo fight too.

View attachment 508711
Ok, here it is mostly sandy, but in the Alpes, there's a lot of gravel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rockyuphill said:
Scarabial, you've got a very similar build kit, with the lighter frame material, even with XL sized frame you should be able to get into the same weight range. The Race King 2.2 Supersonic tires are 470-ish grams each, if you run lighter tires you'd be able to get it down lower yet.

If you use an XTR bottom bracket bearing set for the Race Face Next cranks you'd save another 25gms and get a more reliable bearing set. Also swapping the steel bolts in the Next seatpost for Ti bolts will save another 8-10gms as they are long bolts.
Yeah, wheels (without tires) comes round 1624 grams. Don't know about the fox fork.
I probably going to run RoRo/RaRa combination. The BB is delivered with the crank, so i'll try that first.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts