Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok all, I've finally decide to give this 29er thing a whirl and have narrowed my choice down to the RIP 9. I was all set to buy an 11' model, but ran accross a closeout for a darn good deal. Is there any reason to part with the extra $400.00 for the latest version. Seems they made a few geometry tweaks, most notably slacker HT angle, and that's about it. I ride Central Tx, rocky type trails, so don't feel the HT tweak will make too much of a discernable difference.

What do you guy's think? Should I save my money and go with last years closeout or spend the extra cash for the new and improved model?
 

·
Always Learning
Joined
·
9,607 Posts
MOJO67 said:
Ok all, I've finally decide to give this 29er thing a whirl and have narrowed my choice down to the RIP 9. I was all set to buy an 11' model, but ran accross a closeout for a darn good deal. Is there any reason to part with the extra $400.00 for the latest version. Seems they made a few geometry tweaks, most notably slacker HT angle, and that's about it. I ride Central Tx, rocky type trails, so don't feel the HT tweak will make too much of a discernable difference.

What do you guy's think? Should I save my money and go with last years closeout or spend the extra cash for the new and improved model?
Only if you're going for the red frame is it worth it.:D
 

·
Vaginatarian
Joined
·
5,685 Posts
I've been happy with my old style, you could always use an angleset headset if you wanted a slacker HA
 

·
Rider down under
Joined
·
251 Posts
That red frame looks so darn good I'm considering upgrading my raw 2010 frame for it.
As far as the head angle goes I think it depends on the kind of riding you tend to do.
Due to a change of address my riding has recently become alot more vertical than it used to be, and I've often thought another degree slacker up the front would be great.
However I didn't miss it before now and I probably wouldn't miss it at all if I didn't know it was available!
Personally I've never regretted a more expensive purchase in the long term. I have however bought a 2nd or 3rd shelf product and perpetually wondered what it would be like to have the top shelf model.
The benefits of your $400 saving are only short lived.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
dan0 said:
I've been happy with my old style, you could always use an angleset headset if you wanted a slacker HA
According to Niner, the angleset will not work on the RIP9...I wish it would.
 

·
trail "cleaner"
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
just put a 140mm fork on it...

and call it a day. That slackens it out and really makes the RIP shine as a true AM rig. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,507 Posts
2011 differences:

HA is 1 degree slacker

Tang and beige are gone, Hot Tamale is new.

Switched from an Integrated headset to an Inset headset. From reading in several places about what a bad idea the integrated headset is, I'd assumed they were switching due to problems. According to Niner (and Speedgoat too), they've had no problems with the integrated headsets damaging the HT.

Brisco, regarding the anglset not working - It wouldn't work with a tapered fork, but did they say it wouldn't work with a 1 1/8 steerer tube?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,201 Posts
Hello everyone,

Before this gets out of hand I wanted to clear a few things up here. The new Version of the Rip9 frame will have a slacker head tube by 1deg, a zero stack headset style head tube, and new colors.

We are changing the head set style to zero stack because it allows you, the riders, more options for headset brands. It also allows you to use the AngleSet headset. You cannot use the AngleSet on the last version of the Rip9 with the integrated headset. We have put many thousands of miles on the integrated headsets with no issues. We also test the integrated headsets in the lab to conditions beyond what you should see while actually riding your bike. We fully stand behind all our frames that use the integrated headsets because they are still the best possible option in those situations.

Thanks,
Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
Niner Bikes said:
We are changing the head set style to zero stack because it allows you, the riders, more options for headset brands. It also allows you to use the AngleSet headset. Eric
The slacker HA is to help steer more people into buying a RIp. I read quite a few post where potential buyers were concerned or scared off by the steep HA for a AM style rig. As for the Angleset, what real good is it when the fork selection will be limited when going beyond 120mm travel, considering their a only a few 140mm 29er forks on the market that are 11/8 ST. Sorry, it all just sounds more like a sales ploy vs. a performance mod..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,376 Posts
I think the angleset is going to become common when the style for tapered forks becomes available.

I have an '09 with a 140mm fork and I don't think about the '10
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Does anyone know if you can extend the travel of a Fox F29 120MM fork to 140MM? That would really calm down the front end of my RIP9 for all mountain use.
 

·
Vaginatarian
Joined
·
5,685 Posts
panzer07 said:
Does anyone know if you can extend the travel of a Fox F29 120MM fork to 140MM? That would really calm down the front end of my RIP9 for all mountain use.
no, but you may be able to use a angleset headset to slacken the front end
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,930 Posts
I run a 175mm Dorado on a 2010 WFO, before the change in the headset. It's plenty slack.

I'd be inclined to run a 140mm front end if you want a slack front end on a RIP, regardless of which year you run 2010 or 2011. One degree isn't going to make or break you on the front end. The human mind and body is very adaptive and does fine in compensating for one degree.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top